Personal Invitation.

Zugbug

For me it would have to be Chris Ogborne who’s book Competition Flyfishing back in 88 had the biggest influence on my fishing. Not just for competition fishing but it quickly put a lot of trout on my flies. Second choice would have to be the legend Brian Leadbetter to find out how he was so good.

loxie

For me it would have to be Chris Ogborne who’s book Competition Flyfishing back in 88 had the biggest influence on my fishing. Not just for competition fishing but it quickly put a lot of trout on my flies. Second choice would have to be the legend Brian Leadbetter to find out how he was so good.

Oggy is also really good fun too and has a great repertoire of stories.

Zugbug

Oggy is also really good fun too and has a great repertoire of stories.
Good to hear. The single best piece of advice in the book that has stayed with me is “fine and far off”. As fine a leader as you can fish and get the flies as far from the fly line as you can manage.

loxie

Good to hear. The single best piece of advice in the book that has stayed with me is “fine and far off”. As fine a leader as you can fish and get the flies as far from the fly line as you can manage.

Still sound advice today. I think it's that, and the ability to convert the vast majority of takes in to fish landed, that makes the most difference in competitions.

sabalos

Ah, a distinction without a public understood difference. But probably correct,
Met him twice we had a mutual friend through angling.
I was in awe, as a Leeds fan. Lovely bloke,
his photo was used on rod licence adverts! Which he was ribbed about.

LukeNZ

Ah, a distinction without a public understood difference. But probably correct,

I was taken to court once, for fishing without a licence. The judge let me off, on a technicality. Represented myself as I didn’t really take the charge seriously, but prosecutors did and hired an expensive barrister. The barrister knew absolutely zero about fly fishing, but the judge did. I didn’t have a license, but neither was I trying to take sport fish without a license. I was practicing casting...

sabalos

Been very lucky to meet and fish with a fair few well known anglers.
My pick for laughs and entertainment would be, a large Irish clinker boat with Peter O' Reilly, Jack Charlton, Taff Price and Arthur Cove.
With Peter Mackenzie Phelps and John Veniard giving instruction from the bank.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1606523132529.jpg
    FB_IMG_1606523132529.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 7

micka

Bob Wyatt without a doubt for trout.

I've met some heroes at open days, club evenings and and demos: Eion Fairgrieve, Scott MacKenzie, Simon Gawesworth, Henrik Mortensen, Roman Moser, Stuart Croft and Michael Evans - were all incredibly friendly, helpful and unpretentious. I spent a week fishing with John Rawle - a legend and a gentleman.

Last year during a family week at Abergavenny in which I did some fishing I went to Usk to Lionel Sweet's legendary tackle shop and met Jean Williams. She made tea for my wife and I, talked to us for ages - all of it fascinating and allowed us all to be on a photograph with her which I now treasure. Undoubtedly a heroine to me now.

I couldn't take Falkus' arrogance - when attending a club meeting his fee was the usual crate of Bell's whisky. He would answer no questions whatsoever from the members who were dying to pick his brains and learn from his experience "it's all in the films" was his fob off retort as he refused to engage with anyone. Of course, he sold many copies of those he featured in and of his books.

Got to put Lee and Joan Wulff in there for so many branches of fly fishing, ditto Lefty Kreh. Better stop there as there are so many who I have admired over the years.

Mick

Last edited:

micka

Does Rowan Atkinson do any fishing? Love to see him do it in his Mr Bean character, good for a laugh I'm sure.
Yes, he used to book all the rods on Park North when he took his week on the Dee.

Mick

Latest posts