Fly Fishing Forum banner

Personal Invitation.

14K views 142 replies 47 participants last post by  PaulD 
#1 ·
Of all the current & bygone angling legends, who would be your personal choice to fish with for a dy or night & why? Falkus would be high on my list, quickly followed by Moc Morgan, I'd also throw in Henrik Mortensen & Goran Andersson

#95 ·
Of all the current & bygone angling legends, who would be your personal choice to fish with for a day or night & why? Falkus would be high on my list, quickly followed by Moc Morgan, I'd also throw in Henrik Mortensen & Goran Andersson
As a Welsh international I've had the pleasure of fishing with Moc on several occasions. I spent a week on the Tweed with Paul Whitehouse and have fished with Stuart Crofts a couple of times. I've also met and talked with Dick Walker and Hugh Falkus on the bank. One of my fondest memories was chatting with Mr Walker at Damerham as he was giving up on a large fish and he invited me to try for it, later in the day he was having a cuppa at the hut and speculated as to how big the fish was......and I was able to tell him!

The funniest person I've met whilst fishing is probably David Percival, the former keeper on the Cressbrook & Litton water on the Derbyshire Wye.

Discounting all of the forgoing, I'd want to fish with someone who I could learn from or who would be entertaining (or both) and names that spring to mind are:

Henrik Mortensen
Michael Frodin
Steffan Jones
Oliver Kite
Frank Sawyer
Bob Wyatt
Doug Swisher
Oliver Edwards
Reg Righyni

#98 ·
I met Gareth Edwards on the bank many years ago he was a proper gent . Also met Ian Botham never met such an !!!!!xxxcvv. In all my life . Dreadful man . As for who I'd like to fish with. Well I am pretty lucky who I often fish with already but April Vokey would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I once spent a evening with Ian Botham when he was over in Oz commentating on the Ashes . We were in the same restaurant and got chatting , went out for a few drinks afterwards and had a good laugh.

#122 ·
The "Rochdale Cowboy" would also be another candidate I reckon...
I invited him up for a day a little while ago, he jumped at it, when covid19 is finally put away. MH fishing this summer, he lives in Settle now.
Outerwear People in nature Outdoor recreation Luggage and bags Grass

#127 ·
For me it would have to be Chris Ogborne who’s book Competition Flyfishing back in 88 had the biggest influence on my fishing. Not just for competition fishing but it quickly put a lot of trout on my flies. Second choice would have to be the legend Brian Leadbetter to find out how he was so good.

#128 ·
For me it would have to be Chris Ogborne who's book Competition Flyfishing back in 88 had the biggest influence on my fishing. Not just for competition fishing but it quickly put a lot of trout on my flies. Second choice would have to be the legend Brian Leadbetter to find out how he was so good.
Oggy is also really good fun too and has a great repertoire of stories.

#137 · (Edited)
Bob Wyatt without a doubt for trout.

I've met some heroes at open days, club evenings and and demos: Eion Fairgrieve, Scott MacKenzie, Simon Gawesworth, Henrik Mortensen, Roman Moser, Stuart Croft and Michael Evans - were all incredibly friendly, helpful and unpretentious. I spent a week fishing with John Rawle - a legend and a gentleman.

Last year during a family week at Abergavenny in which I did some fishing I went to Usk to Lionel Sweet's legendary tackle shop and met Jean Williams. She made tea for my wife and I, talked to us for ages - all of it fascinating and allowed us all to be on a photograph with her which I now treasure. Undoubtedly a heroine to me now.

I couldn't take Falkus' arrogance - when attending a club meeting his fee was the usual crate of Bell's whisky. He would answer no questions whatsoever from the members who were dying to pick his brains and learn from his experience "it's all in the films" was his fob off retort as he refused to engage with anyone. Of course, he sold many copies of those he featured in and of his books.

Got to put Lee and Joan Wulff in there for so many branches of fly fishing, ditto Lefty Kreh. Better stop there as there are so many who I have admired over the years.

Mick

#143 ·
Boris Johnson. A day's wading for grayling on one of those days your breath freezes as it leaves your mouth, falls to the floor and stubs your toe. I've got the perfect spot on the Wye - challenging bedrock bottom with grykes between the slabs. You could probably sell tickets for every bridge down to Chepstow for the crowds wishing him well on his journey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.