Pet hates in fly tying

pedros

Cannot disprove if it compromises otherwise, but long tails on nymphs really get my goat, especially PTN's and similar. Why tie on, say, a 14 or 16 then make the tails as long as the whole fly if not longer...
That's just my pet hate, what's yours?

D

Deleted member 90002

Cannot disprove if it compromises otherwise, but long tails on nymphs really get my goat, especially PTN's and similar. Why tie on, say, a 14 or 16 then make the tails as long as the whole fly if not longer...
That's just my pet hate, what's yours?
Mine would be not being able to tie.. 😔😔

wrongfoot

"Fishing flies" that are overly complicated or involve techniques that mean it takes over 10mins for even an expert to tie. I don't dislike complicated beautiful patterns, I tie some myself, it's something about the suggestion that they're viable to fill a box with that gets to me. If I had more time maybe it wouldn't be a pet hate.

Mess from trimming deer hair.

The other one is CDC. I feel it's an overrated material and too faffy in use little time for it anymore. I do keep a few patterns, but only use as a last resort.

I don't care or want to make others agree with my pet hates though... Don't flame me 😳😳😳😳

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

cutting the thread by accident especially when the fly is nearly finished does my head in
on my last vice it was the hook slipping
when a stalk snaps in the hackle pliers
when the stalk is tied in and you try to snap it off and it wont break away
deerhair flaring out when you dont want it too
i better stop there and let someone elsse contribute as it now seems i dont like tying flies lol

pedros

"Fishing flies" that are overly complicated or involve techniques that mean it takes over 10mins for even an expert to tie. I don't dislike complicated beautiful patterns, I tie some myself, it's something about the suggestion that they're viable to fill a box with that gets to me.
Like Wally Wings, I got quite good at them but found them to be like Pot Pourri - nice but f'ing useless!

baca157

Poor quality materials. Bad proportions. Bastardised classics presented as the real deal. Wings not sitting perfectly. Uneven ribbing. Deer hair mess. Hackle on a classic salmon fly braking off when being wrapped around the body. Head “avalanches”. Price of classic salmon fly tying materials. Tacky UV resin. Fly tying materials collectors (materials are for tying flies FFS!).

I’ll get my coat...

Cheers,
Sebastian

wobbly face

Materials that break when you've nearly finished wrapping!!! :mad: I bought 4 spools of pure silk to use as body material, never got to half body when it broke. Take off and try again. Again it broke. Pull silk of spool and test for break, yep. Every spool was the same, very little pressure needed.
Feather fibres and stripped quills, tail looks good, rib material tied in, quill (or whatever) tied in, varnish or superglue applied (if stripped quill). Again get half way along body (or even a bit further) and snap!!! :eek: Unwind (if not already stuck to hook), try not to get glue on fingers, undo thread (if you can) and remove broken quill. Try again if you've not stuck your fingers together or to something.
Using 200 meter spools of UNI thread, way too much twist in it due to spooling. You put more twists in when winding. Okay so far, tie in tails, tie in rib, dubbing (whatever) applied, wind on hook shank and again, half way along forming the body and ..........snap!!!!!!
Pet hate is not leaving enough room for the head, I have a permanent groove in my thumb nail where I have to shove the body back 🤪
Olly Edward's patterns. PLEASE CHECK HOOK SIZES should plastered on hook size. Partridge hooks have their own sizing (Olly mainly used Partridge hooks), way bigger than all other hook manufacturers. 10 different materials needed, you get 5 tied in and hook disappears. 🤪 👀👁️

dave b

Accidentally leaving UV resin out, to find out a few days later when you go to tie again it's set solid.

Steff-Peff

Hopper legs 20190404_182246_2.jpg

jaybeegee

The heavy handed application of head cement / varnish that ruins an otherwise perfectly good fly.
B

shpeil

GRHE nymphs. I've tied so many of the buggers that I just can't enjoy tying them any more.

That, and trimming muddler heads.

Latest posts