tail - badger hackle
rib - small wire gold
body - pheasant tail
hackle - badger

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

delray

I'm in the early, frustrating days of fly tying and I must admit it's not going well.....

I dream of tying that fly above. As PFM says, lovely fly.

boisker

I'm in the early, frustrating days of fly tying and I must admit it's not going well.....

I dream of tying that fly above. As PFM says, lovely fly.

the great thing is the fish really don’t mind... when I first started fly tying I caught a fish the first time I used a fly I tied, they took the same fly all day... it started rough and poorly tied, and just got rougher as the day went on :)
start with some simple patterns, tie them and fish them... and don’t worry about how tidy they look, are the proportions right etc ...
slowly all that will improve, your flies will get better and then you’ll find that your probably not catching any more fish than with your first efforts!
... but worth sticking with it... it’s great when your flies start to look the part like Scott’s... or so I have been told, mine are still as rough as @@@@@@😂😂😂

boisker

I've seen a fair few of your flies DR forum and here , looks like I've got some way to go before I can even call mine rough. S**t man I'd buy some of yours.
Cheers mate... I guess it’s all relative :)
that’s sort of the point I was making to Del... pretty much straight away someone’s tied flies will quite happily fool fish, but however much you improve you tend to notice mistakes...
I’ll look at a fly in the vice and thinks that looks good, take a photo and then at that scale you suddenly see mistakes... a slight bump, one too many turns of thread, a cramped head😏

when you zoom in and look at Scotts jingler above it looks pretty damn perfect, but he may well have something that he thinks next time....😂