Photos from the pheasant shooting?

Bobfly2

Still very impressive quality not matter the 5 year old kit !!!
Is computing not supposed to double in speed every two years?

williegunn

I think its cruel,

posting all those pictures of food, since my brother stopped shooting (old age) I don't get a supply of game to eat, happy days while it lasted as he saved the woodcock for me 😋
Good practice is not to shoot woodcock till December as tracking of woodcock suggests that the migratory birds do not arrive till then. Shooting at this time of year can have an effect on the resident stock.

Cap'n Fishy

Still very impressive quality not matter the 5 year old kit !!!
Is computing not supposed to double in speed every two years?

If I was to upgrade it to the modern equivalent, it would give 12-20* frames per second.

*12 on mechanical shutter, 20 on electronic.

loxie

Fantastic photos, I'm taking my father in law shooting tomorrow with his camera. Any decent photos and I'll post some.

Cap'n Fishy

Good practice is not to shoot woodcock till December as tracking of woodcock suggests that the migratory birds do not arrive till then. Shooting at this time of year can have an effect on the resident stock.

Is there any reason to shoot woodcock at all? (Apart from fly-tying... :whistle:)

loxie

Is there any reason to shoot woodcock at all?
They are a highly numerous bird and perfectly fair quarry but personally I don't shoot them any more as I'm not that keen on eating them, they are very easy to shoot and they have potential to lead to dangerous shooting. Even when I did shoot them I avoided doing so before late November so as to reduce the chance of shooting residents. However migratory birds visit the same areas each winter so if you shoot too hard you can still impact numbers locally on a long term basis.

Cap'n Fishy

They are a highly numerous bird and perfectly fair quarry but personally I don't shoot them any more as I'm not that keen on eating them, they are very easy to shoot and they have potential to lead to dangerous shooting. Even when I did shoot them I avoided doing so before late November so as to reduce the chance of shooting residents. However migratory birds visit the same areas each winter so if you shoot too hard you can still impact numbers locally on a long term basis.

Seems like there may be a decline in southern Scotland (where my guys are shooting) among other areas...

Anyhoo, the guys I go out with leave them alone and focus on the 'stockie' pheasants... and the occasional duck... and red-leg... and wood-pigeon...

Last edited:

loxie

Seems like there may be a decline in southern Scotland (where my guys shooting) among other areas...

Anyhoo, the guys I go out with leave them alone and focus on the 'stockie' pheasants... and the occasional duck... and red-leg... and wood-pigeon...
I think the population of UK breeding birds is in decline pretty much everywhere. The migrant population fluctuates wildly but globally they are not doing too badly, considering.

BobP

I don't think any shoots down here in the Wilts/Berks area shoot woodcock & haven't done so for quite a few years. Actually I haven't seen one yet this year after more than 20 days picking up on 2 estates. I would normally reckon to see a few while I'm hunting a wood with the dogs. I will keep a keener eye on it for the rest of the season.

haggstock

I believe in the past there was a woodcock club sponsored by Bols the Dutch drinks people , you got a lapel pin for a ( reliably witnessed ) right and a left on woodcock . The last I heard was that you got a pin for tipping your hat at a right and left instead of shooting . Personally I don’t raise a gun to them , but I love to see them in flight .

BobP

I believe in the past there was a woodcock club sponsored by Bols the Dutch drinks people , you got a lapel pin for a ( reliably witnessed ) right and a left on woodcock . The last I heard was that you got a pin for tipping your hat at a right and left instead of shooting . Personally I don’t raise a gun to them , but I love to see them in flight .
I think originally there was a tie plus a bottle of Bols for doing it. I very nearly did it on a keeper's day back in the 1980's when I saw two heading straight for me. I dropped the first one and was sure that the kudos were heading my way and comprehensively missed the second. Counting my woodcock before it was in the bag.

There was a drive called Woodcock on a large estate shoot in Hampshire because there were always woodcock in it. A walking gun would follow the beaters down a wide track in a shallow valley while the picker up - usually me - would follow up on the bank on the opposite side to the beaters.

Halfway down the drive there was an enormous beech tree on the bank on my side of the track. Due to the heavy shading from the tree there was no undergrowth for the full circumference of the tree, just bare ground covered in beech leaves in the autumn. Over the years I lost count of the number of times a gun swore blind that he had a woodcock down under the beech tree. He very rarely did because when shot at woodcock always seem to dive straight down towards the ground. So, the gun shoots, the woodcock dives to the ground and subsequently flits away unharmed. At the end of the drive the gun asks about his woodcock which, of course, he wants for the pin feathers only to be told that in actual fact he missed it.

Out in the open they have an odd looping flight in which the bird is travelling quicker than it looks hence the frequency of missed shots.

country_est

Had 3 on the shoot 2 weeks ago, expect more to come in this week with the full moon and hopefully a following northerly wind.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

Latest posts