Photos of a few Animals that have graced our garden

4wings

Is that snake coming out of a tree?
That's quite a variety you've got there, nice photos.
The grass snake moved in one evening, the Lioness called me up to our pond and there was a snake slowly searching the pond swimming with just the head up.
It became a regular visitor, it took most of our goldfish and nearly all our frogs. I sat up by the pond with a camera and waited, then I missed the initial "strike" but then the snake had a female frog by the face and started to constrict its body the put its jaws to getting its meal down. I took a lot of photos as it slowly worked the frog into its unhinged jaws. I had to stop because something disturbed it and it started to move away with just the frogs feet sticking out. It was with us long enough to take nearly all the frogs, fish and woodmice then just moved on.
The golden carp I found one morning floating with the male frog firmly attached it seems to have seized onto its head and squeezed its eyes out.
The Peacock pair male and female landed in the road outside our house, then disappeared, only to reappear in my back garden by the pond (the blue string is anti Heron but it still ate a lot of fish) they stayed until early evening then flew off. They were wary but happy to drink and be fed.
The snow scene bird fought everything that came into the garden and in between ate everything in sight.
The Sparrow hawk took a Starling and instead of going to the post where it took smaller birds it landed in next doors garden . The starling fought and the hawk was obviously aware of its sharp beak and just kept working its talons in until the starling died.

4wings

Our Cat Scallywag, caught a wood mouse and brought it home he dropped it on the floor, as soon as it hit the floor it shot up the wall and took refuge on top of a solitary bee box.Hickory Dickory Dock Buddies Wood mouse.jpg

4wings

My visitor was less cute and needed eviction.
View attachment 26976

Trying to set up home the water butt.

Al
When I took the photo of the mouse I noticed a light area on the porch wall plate, I remembered the light patch on the timber and had a closer look a few days ago .
Wasps had been using the wood and were actively chewing it off and carrying it away. Away turned out to be in the gap left where the extension met the old house wall, I could see a nest like the one in your photo being constructed. luckily no one was at home so I sealed it with mastic.

4wings

I kept seeing these odd shapes out of the corner of my eye, some sort of Ichneumon Wasp one with a long ovipositor the other flying close nearby.
These are awful out of focus snaps taken as a record.
P1010048 Ichneumon Wasp.jpgP1010049 Icheumon wasps.jpg

Last edited:

4wings

It is an Ichneumon fly called; Gasteruption Jaculator The Horntails are known as wood wasps. They
are sawflies.
A better photo of the strange body layout as it uses its ovipositor.
01490958 Gasteruption Jaculator.jpg