Photos of Fish

Cap'n Fishy

Lovely shots. :thumbs:

In my limited experience, I'd say that filters can often add that grainy film over the top of your images, particularly if you zoom in heavily on the RAW. I've found that even the higher end filters can do this - Hoya for example.

What type of filters James? Polariser? ND? I don't think they should add 'grain' per se, but if you have slightly underexposed as a result of using a filter and you try to fight the effect in your editing software, you are going to amplify the background noise - which is always there to some extent, just waiting on you allowing it out to play.

I've banged on a few times about Exposing To The Right (ETTR). Doing this is a great way to keep noise at bay when you are tweaking your images. I'm now shooting most of my stuff at either +0.5 or +1 EV (though that is in part due to Canon's tendency to underexpose shots).

Col

snailer

First time I've heard about ETTR, I'm going to give it a try, especially as I also have a canon. Thanks again for another tip Cap'n Fishy.:thumbs:

Cheers
Paul

jameswaine

What type of filters James? Polariser? ND? I don't think they should add 'grain' per se, but if you have slightly underexposed as a result of using a filter and you try to fight the effect in your editing software, you are going to amplify the background noise - which is always there to some extent, just waiting on you allowing it out to play.

You're quite right there and I totally agree that Canon have a tendancy to under-expose. Although I had a peculiar incident last week - we took a boat trip and despite using high shutter speeds ~1/2000 and f/9.0-f/22 all of the images were over-exposed and completely blown out in most cases. I was shooting in aperture priority mode, so it was just a case of the camera selecting the 'wrong' shutter speed each time - it was bizarre and seemed to be confined to just that hour or so. Anyway, I digress....

I wouldn't necessarily say a grain, when using filters but I've definitely noticed deterioration in images (to be expected). It's more like an 'oily film' over the image, quite difficult to explain really and I don't have any examples to hand. :rolleyes:

Certainly, as soon as you go anywhere near adjusting the sharpness when processing - you're inviting the noise to rear it's ugly face!

Cap'n Fishy

Certainly, as soon as you go anywhere near adjusting the sharpness when processing - you're inviting the noise to rear it's ugly face!

Ah, that is a whole other issue there. All other parameters being equal, adding sharpness increases noise. Have a look at the thread I started on the subject of ETTR and ISO 100 Noise. The two 100% crops have no sharpening at all. I deliberately did it that way so sharpening was no an issue.

Col

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
You're quite right there and I totally agree that Canon have a tendancy to under-expose. Although I had a peculiar incident last week - we took a boat trip and despite using high shutter speeds ~1/2000 and f/9.0-f/22 all of the images were over-exposed and completely blown out in most cases. I was shooting in aperture priority mode, so it was just a case of the camera selecting the 'wrong' shutter speed each time - it was bizarre and seemed to be confined to just that hour or so. Anyway, I digress....

I wouldn't necessarily say a grain, when using filters but I've definitely noticed deterioration in images (to be expected). It's more like an 'oily film' over the image, quite difficult to explain really and I don't have any examples to hand. :rolleyes:

like a light fog/haze ....if so use the dehaze ;)

Lucian

Trade Member
a grayling on a micro nymph. The camera was a sony alpha mirrorless

13064568_1056051911131781_6680023290423875382_o.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

River Tay at Fishponds. A fresh as paint wee spring salmon on cutlery for a Dutchman who had never fished for anything fancier than canal perch before...

<click on image and + for 1500 px view>

Fishponds23Apr16_0963.jpg

Col

Guest101

A couple of over wintered fish from Pitsford, today. The wee fekkers have got proper teeth! I don't fancy the chances of any fry, shrimp, human finger that gets in their way!

Taken on my Powershot G12, 'cos I was on me jack and it's easier.

Rainbow 3lb-ish..

pitrbow7-5-16.jpg

Brown 3.5 lb-ish..

pitbrown7-5-16.jpg

Interestingly, the brown has red spots, and even a slight hint of blue on the gill plate. Not something I've seen on a Pitsford fish for a few years. Looks proper.

Lucian

Trade Member
Taimen or Hucho Hucho from San river - Poland:

not great photos but is very rare to see such fantastic fish with a length more than 1m:
lostrita-urca-un-prag.jpg

lostrite.jpg

lostrita-in-apa-mica.jpg

jemo

L Ree Mayfly time....
P1050062_zps2inwdgp1.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-01%20at%2017.16.53_zps7sc6cdan.jpg

ps3737

A Saturday morning Kahawai on an estuary sand bank - still waiting for the water temp to get up another degree or two to get the fish moving into the upper harbour reaches.

C9FC17501F2A4B3987CAABED13197E8F.jpg

But even the small ones go hard.

snailer

Watched this Grayling feeding on nymphs for a couple of minutes before he noticed me and zipped off, estimate he was between 45- 50 cm.

sakuraba1982

My first photo upload. Caught this stunning Rudd on buzzer at spring hill trout fishery when all trout were pretty impossible to catch. Stunning fish...
5fa8262cca8634c12846b4d8b1705ece.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

My first photo upload. Caught this stunning Rudd on buzzer at spring hill trout fishery when all trout were pretty impossible to catch. Stunning fish...
5fa8262cca8634c12846b4d8b1705ece.jpg

Caught this at the end of june

ps3737

Yellowtail Kingfish caught on a Green Haka Crab fly in knee dep water. My best land based fly capture at 83cm and 8.3 kilos ( 18 pounds). Not bad on a suburban beach in Auckland, New Zealand.
_DSC1566.jpg

Quite an imposing mouth that loves engilfing flounders in the shallows
_DSC1560.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC1562 (1).jpg
    _DSC1562 (1).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

mike j thomas

Not a great pic, but I only had my phone camera with me and was in a rush to get the fish back in the water! My first ever Tiger Trout, from Meon Springs Hampshire.