wullie m

Thanks Stuart,heres a couple of my nephews fish last night,
006-30.jpg

009-10.jpg

013-3.jpg

018-9.jpg

021-3.jpg

Guest100

A couple from today at Arnfield for myself and Matty. A good day afloat with plenty of fish between us. Only sore point - my head after having to have one of Matty's size 10 Kate Mclarens removed, with barb and all. Ouch.:(:D

5822066614_70fd25799e_z.jpg

5822065288_9d61edf96c_z.jpg

Guest100

Nice work as always Stu. What you using these days for these shots - shutter priority or what? What shutter speed?

Col

Thanks Col. If possible I try and use the manual setting as I'm convinced I can squeeze the aperture closed a couple more stops than the camera selects in Shutter Priority (clawing back a bit of under exposure in LR), don't know if you find this to be the case also? But that only really works for me if the light is constant (either constant cloudy or constant sunny, a quick glance at the metering bar on the top display tells me if I'm pushing things a bit) but if like today it's broken cloud, sunny spells etc I just stick it in Shutter Priority and rely on the camera's choice of aperture.

Speeds vary from 500th/sec for when it's darkest (I know that can mean sometimes a fully open aperture, but I'd rather have the speed to freeze the shot even if it means I run the risk of being out of focus because of the narrow DOF, that way at least there's a 'chance' of a keeper') up to 800th/sec was the fastest I think I went to today, I never really feel the need to go faster than 800th/sec personally. After a full season at it now I'm getting the hang of reading and adjusting on the go by using the metering bar and histogram. Only taken a year to get my head round.:eek:

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Cheers Stu. Interesting stuff. I know exactly what you are getting at about neither shutter nor aperture priority giving you exactly what you want -- I have not resorted to manual myself yet. Interested to see your shutter speeds, as I am pushing mine higher and higher. Did some today in appalling weather. Will post.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Portmore today

Got an invite to fish Portmore from Ron, Mr Fliesonline. Been getting great dry fly action thanks to falls of black gnats. Unfortunately, it was 7C and pissing down all day. :rolleyes:. No meat on the water, but, having tackled up with dries, and being reluctant to get everything wet changing over, we just stuck with it. We had decent sport, with my fish coming to a 14 Adams hopper, and Ron's to a parachute Adams.

In the rain, it was all I could do to squeeze off some action shots of Ron's fish coming in...

Click on landscape shots for 1000 px wide versions...

8103.jpg

8109.jpg

8147.jpg

a near miss... if I'd just been pointing a bit to the left...
8149.jpg

another near miss... the chance was on me too quick and before the camera had a chance to adjust the focus and get a lock on anything.
8152.jpg

8170.jpg

8177.jpg

8178.jpg

All pics with 135 mm f2 in shutter priority at 1/1250s and auto ISO.

Col

Guest100

Nice shots Col. Jeez with that kind of shutter speed no wonder you've not got much DOF to play with :eek:

That 'near miss' shot looks like it would have been a winner winner sausage dinner too. I've got a few of those from today, I'll put them up tomorrow. Determined to get one of those 'Holy Grail' shots this season - fish in mid air, all in focus. Damn it's hard though.:(

Guest100

A couple of near misses as promised Col.:( I'm determind to get one mid air this year, or die trying.:D

5823686815_c8ac1d99d8_z.jpg

5824253862_f64fa412f9_z.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

A couple of near misses as promised Col.:( I'm determind to get one mid air this year, or die trying.:D

Aye Stu, it is not easy. You need the fast shutter speed to freeze it... so that dictates a wide aperture... which makes focusing on the fish (when it suddenly appears) very tricky :whistle:

Here's today's best effort from Frandy. Lens is me 135 mm f2. Camera was on hi-speed continuous (8 fps) and servo focus, auto ISO, shutter priority at 1/1250s (which gave f3.5 at ISO 100). All 19 focus points active.

The first frame is me just pressing the shutter as soon as the fish jumped, so before the camera had a chance to react and do anything with the focus...

Click on pic for 1000px view

8466.jpg

One eighth of a second later the camera took the next frame and in that one eighth of a second it detected the fish and attempted to refocus on it (I've got it set to detect things coming in to the scene and give priority to them)...

8467.jpg

And still, with all that technology, it didn't quite nail it!

With hindsight, I could have taken it out of auto ISO and gone for ISO 800 to force a narrower aperture and more DoF, but as we keep saying...

Not easy!

Col

Guest100

Damn fine effort Col! First one to put one up fully airbourne, in focus and correctly exposed wins a whole heap of Kudos.:thumbs: If it also happens to be a wild brownie too? :whistle: