Photos of Fishing Action

Guest100

A few fliers from today. Close. . .real close . .but no cigar.:( Ah well.:D

5854242562_25b05095bf_z.jpg

5854240046_b320bc2d19_z.jpg

5854238250_bb82eb6618_z.jpg

5853679429_5ed2d610b3_z.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

I think you are being too self-critical there Stu - they look pretty damn good to me :thumbs:

Cap'n Fishy

Late night action...

...from Coldingham. Light well on the way out and stuck on the slow Tamron superzoom (raining constantly prevented changing to anything faster). I should have decreased the shutter speed to something more to the Tamron's liking, but in all the faffing about in the gloom and murk I left it on the fast shutter speed and auto ISO. Auto ISO maxes out at 3200, and a lot of the attempted shots did just that and returned pitch black!

This is the nearest to anything presentable I got, and while the fish isn't in focus, the line of water splashes above it against the black background have a certain quality to them... sort of... if you shut one eye and squint a bit :whistle:

9104.jpg

Col

Guest100

Thanks Col. Yes I'm pleased with how they've turned out. It's just that there's one or two things wrong with each shot. The worst is of course composition, but that's always going to be in the lap of the gods with this kind of shot isn't it?

A couple more conventional shots here.

5856647214_0af7316a6a_z.jpg

5856091201_19eed4a816_z.jpg

5856087795_24b77d3534_z.jpg

Wish I had my polarising filter on for this one. :(

5856086655_f8d73dcbf1_z.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

The worst is of course composition, but that's always going to be in the lap of the gods with this kind of shot isn't it?

For sure, and allowing for that your composition is pretty damn good as well.

As for polarisers... I know - it's that 2 stops it costs you though isn't it. It can't help the AF when it is trying to get a fix either :( I do keep meaning to have a go with it though. Will try to remember to have a bash up north next week.

Col

Guest100

Yeah I keep meaning to try it just to see if there's any kind of substantial difference. Like you though that couple of extra stops has held me back thus far. Next brassy day and I'm going to give it a bash too. Cheers for the encouragement Col.:)

Cap'n Fishy

Aye, seems like we only get 2 types of day up here when we have booked fishing in advance....

Dreich, windy, miserable, and light at about 2 candle-power (if we get out at all)​

Brassy sun to the point of burning your eyeballs out their sockets (probably combined with a cold easterly :rolleyes:)​

So, looks like the 2nd option for having a go with the polariser :whistle:

Col

Cap'n Fishy

BTW: What's with the scrotty wee JPEGs you are posting Stu :confused:

Why not stick 'em up at a decent size. The software will display at 758 px, but when you click on it, it shows it at full size and most folk these days have monitors that can display a 1000px wide image.

Col

Guest100

BTW: What's with the scrotty wee JPEGs you are posting Stu :confused:

Why not stick 'em up at a decent size. The software will display at 758 px, but when you click on it, it shows it at full size and most folk these days have monitors that can display a 1000px wide image.

Col

Ah yes, that's me being a bit lazy I think Col. I convert to JPEG in LR using max resolution, once I've finished faffing, then upload to Flickr and choose the 640 x 456 URL option so the forum filter doesn't soften the image if I choose the larger 1024 x 730 URL. Do you think I should set LR to convert to the specific resolution?

Cap'n Fishy

Ah yes, that's me being a bit lazy I think Col. I convert to JPEG in LR using max resolution, once I've finished faffing, then upload to Flickr and choose the 640 x 456 URL option so the forum filter doesn't soften the image if I choose the larger 1024 x 730 URL. Do you think I should set LR to convert to the specific resolution?

Phew - pass on that one mate. My workflow is: process in ACR with no sharpening, then open in PS, resize to 1000px wide, or 750px tall for portrait, then sharpen to taste, then save as a JPEG at somewhere between 100 and 200 KB and upload by FTP.

Not sure what you are meaning about the forum filter softening the image (though it is ringing a distant bell that this came up before somewhere) :confused:

The one definite thing is that if you deliberately oversize to the likes of 1000px wide, the forum display of 758px does not show it at its best, and even with a decent browser like Firefox you will get a bit of aliasing. Internet Explorer is just saw-tooth diagonals everywhere :rolleyes:

I am hoping that if you point out that you have posted at 1000px, folk will realise that they need to click the image to see it at full size and the sharpening will be as you intended it. I've been using 1000px for recent posts and they look OK when clicked in to view at full size.

I do realise we are getting discriminatory towards folk still using CRTs with the lower resolution display of 72 ppi - that included my work PC until about a month ago :eek:

Col

ameliasdaddy

A few fliers from today. Close. . .real close . .but no cigar.:( Ah well.:D

Hey stu, they are much better shots than those last week, is that anything to do with not having to dodge a team of waywardly cast flies while playing a fish for the camera??

Cap'n Fishy

Damn fine effort Col! First one to put one up fully airbourne, in focus and correctly exposed wins a whole heap of Kudos.:thumbs: If it also happens to be a wild brownie too? :whistle:

Latest effort...

9957.jpg

It's a brownie... Wild? He was livid :D:D

Not bad for the Tamron superzoom?

Details: 70 mm (heavy crop), 1/1250s, f5, ISO 1250.

Col

Guest100

Love it Col, great shot.:thumbs: Are you planning to try things any higher than 1/1250s? I don't think it's needed for the usual fare, but to freeze a flapping airbourne fish do you think even faster might be worth a go?

How did you get on with the polorasing filter?

Cap'n Fishy

Love it Col, great shot.:thumbs: Are you planning to try things any higher than 1/1250s? I don't think it's needed for the usual fare, but to freeze a flapping airbourne fish do you think even faster might be worth a go?

How did you get on with the polorasing filter?

Cheers Stu, I keep meaning to try 1/1500s to see if it gets things any sharper, but really 95% of the issue is getting the bastard thing to focus :mad:

I was really lucky with that one above, as Midlander (for 'twas he to whom it was attached) hooked it and I was still picking up the camera to try for some kind of shot and was turning the zoom barrel to go to about 150 mm, when the fish jumped, so I just shot from the hip with where it was at that exact point, which was 70 mm - hence the heavy crop.

I only got round to trying the polariser on the last day and I haven't processed those ones yet. However, on sorting the potential wheat from the obvious chaff, there was a realisation that my usual action settings of 0EV have over-exposed the fish in almost all the shots. I have failed to take into account that the polariser darkens the water surface, so you need to dial in some -ve EV. Will try that next time.

It was a cracking opportunity for that kind of shot, as we were fishing in bright sunshine over shallow skerries and the sun was penetrating the water and lighting up the stones below the fish. The fish looked great in the water against the stones - you were seeing them swim up to intercept your bob as you gave it the draw and hang. Unfortunately, the problem with these wee pound class brownies is that they (a) dart about all over the place until they are beat and then (b) they put their arms in the air and come in. So, good action shots of (a) are very difficult to get, while shots of (b) are just pics of a wet haddie on the end of a fly line.

I've got a couple of near misses of (a) that I will post when I get them through ACR.

Cheers,

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Nice shot Col :cool:

Did you find time to wet a line or just take pics of everyone else :D

Not much fear of that Kevin ;). Fishing was the priority the whole time. Superb sport. Took plenty shots as well, like - still getting them put through ACR.

Cheers,

Col

Latest posts