'Photoshoppery' today...

Cap'n Fishy

I remember the early days of digital photography and the massed pitchforks and burning torches being waved at anyone who dared to use Photoshop for anything. 🤪 "Burn the witch!!!" o_O

Those days seem to be behind us - especially when you consider the amount of blazen fakery going on with 1001 image apps these days.

The whole 'Photoshop thing' never bothered me. I used Photoshop when I needed it to do something - like any good tool.

I use Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to process my RAW files. Well, RAW files need processing, so it is either a case of leaving it to the camera, or doing it myself... 😗 And that is all I do to 99% of my images... if you include things like 'merge to panorama', 'merge to HDR' and 'merge to HDR panorama' 😜, all of which ACR does superbly! (y)

Just occasionally, I get an image that calls out for some help from Photoshop. Not blatant fakery - just some help with improving the look of the image. I had one of those last week. I was up Arthur's Seat, and took a shot of Edinburgh in decent light. It wasn't too bad...

ArthursSeat01Dec20_5399-HDR1.jpg

Except for that bright red crane, cutting right through the middle of it. I might have used that for next year's calendar, if the crane hadn't been there.

Today, I had to hang around to await an Amazon delivery and, being at a loose end, I thought let's have a go at getting rid of that crane...

It was lying in a wonderfully awkward position, cutting in front of some detailed features and behind others. It took maybe 40 minutes of using the patch tool and clone brush to remove it. I was working at 200-300% zoom, which helps massively with the tiny detail. When finished, bring it on back to the final crop of 1500 x 1000 px and the errors in fine detail simply disappear. (y);)

Here is the 'after'...

ArthursSeat01Dec20_5399-HDR2.jpg

And I am very much an amateur Photoshopper. 😜

Surely the second version looks 100% better than the first?

So, purpose of this thread is to ask whether previous 'anti-Photoshoppers' have come round or not, and to invite members to show us any examples they have of Photoshoppery put to useful effect - which I hope I have done with the above shot.

Col

G

GEK79

I remember the early days of digital photography and the massed pitchforks and burning torches being waved at anyone who dared to use Photoshop for anything. 🤪 "Burn the witch!!!" o_O

Those days seem to be behind us - especially when you consider the amount of blazen fakery going on with 1001 image apps these days.

The whole 'Photoshop thing' never bothered me. I used Photoshop when I needed it to do something - like any good tool.

I use Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to process my RAW files. Well, RAW files need processing, so it is either a case of leaving it to the camera, or doing it myself... 😗 And that is all I do to 99% of my images... if you include things like 'merge to panorama', 'merge to HDR' and 'merge to HDR panorama' 😜, all of which ACR does superbly! (y)

Just occasionally, I get an image that calls out for some help from Photoshop. Not blatant fakery - just some help with improving the look of the image. I had one of those last week. I was up Arthur's Seat, and took a shot of Edinburgh in decent light. It wasn't too bad...

ArthursSeat01Dec20_5399-HDR1.jpg

Except for that bright red crane, cutting right through the middle of it. I might have used that for next year's calendar, if the crane hadn't been there.

Today, I had to hang around to await an Amazon delivery and, being at a loose end, I thought let's have a go at getting rid of that crane...

It was lying in a wonderfully awkward position, cutting in front of some detailed features and behind others. It took maybe 40 minutes of using the patch tool and clone brush to remove it. I was working at 200-300% zoom, which helps massively with the tiny detail. When finished, bring it on back to the final crop of 1500 x 1000 px and the errors in fine detail simply disappear. (y);)

Here is the 'after'...

ArthursSeat01Dec20_5399-HDR2.jpg

And I am very much an amateur Photoshopper. 😜

Surely the second version looks 100% better than the first?

So, purpose of this thread is to ask whether previous 'anti-Photoshoppers' have come round or not, and to invite members to show us any examples they have of Photoshoppery put to useful effect - which I hope I have done with the above shot.

Col
Fantastic work mate.. Thanks for sharing.

wobbly face

I've no samples but used Photoshop to take people out of photos that I scanned to the PC. Once happy printed out the new photo. Done the same with old photos by cleaning them up, removed scratches and even coffee stains.
As you posted Col, magnify/enlarge the image before doing any work, then reduce back when finished. (y)

Lewis Chessman

That's terrific, Col. Vastly improved for your work.

I used Picasa3, a very basic, simple to use, free programme, to clone out the faults on all our old family photos a couple of years ago and was pretty happy with the results.
Unfortunately, I can't find the original scan of this photo of my great aunt Kathleen from the 1920s for a direct comparison. You'll just have to accept my word that it was pitted, pock-marked and covered in blemishes.

Looking at it now, enlarged as you see it, there are still a few white spots but considering the age and original condition (believe me!) I think the old girl has polished up nicely.

01 Kathleen Wood, 1929.jpg

Banksie

My first foray was Photoshop 4. Memory cost a fortune so it was ‘sit and wait’ for something to grind it’s way through. I’d sometimes get a coffee if it was an especially big file.

I like PS for it’s support base. Any question about any function at any time day or night and there’s often an answer within a few minutes. Haven’t logged on in years. It could get ugly tho. There was even a death threat once, though not at me.
Gonna follow the thread to bone up on colour balance, etc, though I’ve nothing set up in practice it’ll be good therapy. 😎

noeyedeer

Nice job Col
I was using a full version of Adobe Creative Suite for many years, mainly for work but also for improving personal images and creating page layouts etc.
Handy for eg removing a broom that wasn’t spotted during the photo shoot from a factory pic used in a promo sheet etc!
After upgrading PC quite a few times over the years, Adobe have stopped the re-authentication of older PS versions, and my usage is too low for a subscription licence model so I’ve gone to open source and started using GIMP, which works just fine for what I need. Also downloaded the equivalent apps for Lightroom, Indesign etc but not needed to load them yet.

Cap'n Fishy

Re versions of Photoshop...

There has recently been a big update. We are now on Photoshop 2021, aka version 22.1.0...

dt_design_river3_660x495

When my desktop updated to it, it would not open a file! I had to uninstall it and reinstall version 21. The problem was my graphics card was not up to the job, although it was only about 3 years old. What came out was basically a card, and what replaced it had not one, but 2 cooling fans - a thing capable of running the latest video games. The guy who put it in said I was lucky to get it, as there is a world shortage of graphics cards. Who knew?

Meanwhile, my old laptop, which is now about 7 years old, installed the new Photoshop and runs it no bother! Doh!

Col

Banksie

This is a veritable can of worms.
I use (used) Photoshop to manage different media... from scanned film to a scanned piece of painting or other 2D stuff. Basically a foot in both camps. Purists should have their place to preserve the art I believe. Talking of which, I never tried bi-chromate printing when I had the chance to. Something I regret.
edit: should have said ‘purists’ who are film only.

Cap'n Fishy

That's terrific, Col. Vastly improved for your work.

I used Picasa3, a very basic, simple to use, free programme, to clone out the faults on all our old family photos a couple of years ago and was pretty happy with the results.
Unfortunately, I can't find the original scan of this photo of my great aunt Kathleen from the 1920s for a direct comparison. You'll just have to accept my word that it was pitted, pock-marked and covered in blemishes.

Looking at it now, enlarged as you see it, there are still a few white spots but considering the age and original condition (believe me!) I think the old girl has polished up nicely.

View attachment 33353

A nice touch with old photos, rather than have them pure greyscale, is to do a sepia split-tone on them. This was done very simply, and with infinite control, within ACR. When I looked for it just now (ACR has all been updated as well!!!) it seems to have been removed. However, there is instead a gallery of filters that can be applied. I used your nice pic as an example...

Col

Fishtales

Great work Col. Do you use a pen and tablet? Using a mouse, or touch pad on the laptop, I find is a nightmare :) I don't have the patience to do too much of that kind of work although I have done it in the past with a few photographs.

Fishtales

For imitating old photographs I have used the NIk collection of filters. I picked them up when Google were giving them away free. They are still available too.

This was a 3D render I did and used them to age the image.

walk-in-the-woods-copyright-001.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

Great work Col. Do you use a pen and tablet? Using a mouse, or touch pad on the laptop, I find is a nightmare :) I don't have the patience to do too much of that kind of work although I have done it in the past with a few photographs.

I have a Wacom pen and tablet, Sandy, though I have not used them for a couple of years now! (I cannot use a touch pad. Any time I use my laptop, I need to have a 'mouse over-ride' on it.) I did the one in the OP just using the mouse. When you blow it up to 300% zoom on a 27 inch monitor, you can draw in quite fine detail with the mouse.

Col

wobbly face

I have a Wacom tablet with tools and mouse stuffed in cupboard, not used for over 7 year or so now. Got fed up with windows keep losing the drivers, tried to update but only got "latest drivers installed". :mad:

Fishtales

Wacom tablet here too :) I got it when I was trying to get into digital drawing years ago but haven't used it in a long while either. Since my desktop packed in a number of years ago and I moved to the Laptop I am getting quite adept with the touch pad for my 3D work :)

Cap'n Fishy

One of the new toys in Photoshop is a 'sky replacement' filter. This is much more in the controversial category in terms of how acceptable is it to replace a bland sky in a photograph with a totally different one. If you are a commercial illustrator or any other kind of professional who uses Photoshop in his daily work, it's a non-issue. If you did it with an entry to a photography competition I'm sure it would get you disqualified. So, it's a question of where it falls for the casual amateur photographer just doing it for his own fun.

But in terms of how easy it now is to do it, it is very impressive. It is literally a couple of clicks to go from this...

Lauder26Jan19_7205.jpg

To this...

End of the day, it's there if you want it... 😜

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Comes in handy with blown out skies though :) I don't have the latest, still using CS4, so it takes a bit longer :)

Speaking of blown-out skies, they are a thing of the past these days, thanks to Photoshop. No need to carry around neutral grad filters to hold on to skies. Just shoot a bracket of 3 and feed them to ACR. You don't even need a tripod to avoid registry ghosting. ACR does all the calculations and blends the 3 images together to give you the best of the detail from the highlights and shadows.

All the shots below were blends of 3 different exposures, all hand-held...

Menteith21Oct20_4982-HDRa.jpg

Menteith24Sep20_2598-HDR.jpg

Menteith24Sep20_2653-HDR.jpg

Hope24-26Aug20_1056-HDR.jpg

Hope24-26Aug20_1071-HDR.jpg

Hope24-26Aug20_1264-HDR.jpg

Hope2019_9649-HDR.jpg

And an extreme example...

This is 3 different exposures, merged by ACR. The cameraman was moving, the camera was moving, the boat was going up and down, the helmsman was moving, the water was moving and the horizon was moving.

Lomond27Oct18_9757-HDR.jpg

Who would know that was 3 different frames?

Col

petevicar

I have used Photoshop for various projects over the years. I started off with CS3 then CS6 I used it together with InDesign to produce brochures and flyers for my wife's theatre.
I use a Mac and with the continuing development of the Mac operating system, the old CS programs did not work. Fortunately my daughter is a graphic designer and she would let me use her computer.

The cost of Creative Cloud, I think, is excessive and I not prepared to lash out all that money for the relatively short time that I use the programs.

I did miss Photoshop as I find it hand to be able to fix the odd photo. So I invested in Photoshop Elements which has all the functions that I need.

Pete

Great Photos by the way Col.

Banksie

Speaking of blown-out skies, they are a thing of the past these days, thanks to Photoshop. No need to carry around neutral grad filters to hold on to skies. Just shoot a bracket of 3 and feed them to ACR. You don't even need a tripod to avoid registry ghosting. ACR does all the calculations and blends the 3 images together to give you the best of the detail from the highlights and shadows.

All the shots below were blends of 3 different exposures, all hand-held...

Menteith21Oct20_4982-HDRa.jpg

Menteith24Sep20_2598-HDR.jpg

Menteith24Sep20_2653-HDR.jpg

Hope24-26Aug20_1056-HDR.jpg

Hope24-26Aug20_1071-HDR.jpg

Hope24-26Aug20_1264-HDR.jpg

Hope2019_9649-HDR.jpg

And an extreme example...

This is 3 different exposures, merged by ACR. The cameraman was moving, the camera was moving, the boat was going up and down, the helmsman was moving, the water was moving and the horizon was moving.

Lomond27Oct18_9757-HDR.jpg

Who would know that was 3 different frames?

Col
Is that yourself at the helm?

Latest posts