'Photoshoppery' today...

Cap'n Fishy

Well done, Sandy, kudos to you. It was an artefact caused by the different anti-ghosting options when doing a multi-exposure blend. You can see a dark/light edge in the sky on the right side. I'm still very much learning how to get the best out of this tool. So, it's a case of being offered 4 options: off, light, medium and strong... and if one produces an artefact, just try a different setting, until you get an artefact-free result! (y)

That's probably not how you are supposed to do it... I really should look up YouTube tutorials on it. 😜

Col

Fishtales

Well done, Sandy, kudos to you. It was an artefact caused by the different anti-ghosting options when doing a multi-exposure blend. You can see a dark/light edge in the sky on the right side. I'm still very much learning how to get the best out of this tool. So, it's a case of being offered 4 options: off, light, medium and strong... and if one produces an artefact, just try a different setting, until you get an artefact-free result! (y)

That's probably not how you are supposed to do it... I really should look up YouTube tutorials on it. 😜

Col

It is a slight 'S' bend down that right hand corner. The Leaf that is out of focus on the November one shows artefacts around the edge and I wasn't sure if that was lens distortion or caused in PS.

Cap'n Fishy

It is a slight 'S' bend down that right hand corner. The Leaf that is out of focus on the November one shows artefacts around the edge and I wasn't sure if that was lens distortion or caused in PS.

Yeh - that S-bend thing appears when ACR can't quite decide on the blending of different exposures. I'm guessing that is why you get 4 choices - so you can pick one that doesn't give you that artefact? I didn't spot it when I was doing the processing - only after I had put a draft together.

November is just a depth of field/out of focus effect. Close-up shot with 400 mm focal length at f5.6 gives you a wafer-thin plane of focus. Same thing with the red admiral - eye in focus, both antennae - and pretty much everything else - out of focus.

Col

Fishtales

Yeh - that S-bend thing appears when ACR can't quite decide on the blending of different exposures. I'm guessing that is why you get 4 choices - so you can pick one that doesn't give you that artefact? I didn't spot it when I was doing the processing - only after I had put a draft together.

November is just a depth of field/out of focus effect. Close-up shot with 400 mm focal length at f5.6 gives you a wafer-thin plane of focus. Same thing with the red admiral - eye in focus, both antennae - and pretty much everything else - out of focus.

Col
I wasn't sure about the November one as it looked 'normal' rather than induced by messing in PS.

Cap'n Fishy

I wasn't sure about the November one as it looked 'normal' rather than induced by messing in PS.

Yep - none of them have had any 'Photoshoppery' - just RAW processing, including some exposure blends, as with October.

Col

Jbhopkins

Cant believe how much photography has changed, when i was an apprentice Printer (eventually went on to be a Photographer) one of my first jobs was to learn how to print from glass negatives. That was the day's. 🙂

boorod

Having read this thread earlier, I knew that I had an image off a Buzzard that I had taken from the car, which had one off those horrible wing tags on it, first thing was in processing was to try and remove that tag with the clone tool ( PaintShop ), here are the before and after attempt images.

043 (2).jpg

043 (3).jpg

Andy.

Cap'n Fishy

Having read this thread earlier, I knew that I had an image off a Buzzard that I had taken from the car, which had one off those horrible wing tags on it, first thing was in processing was to try and remove that tag with the clone tool ( PaintShop ), here are the before and after attempt images.

View attachment 34179
View attachment 34180

Andy.

Nice work Andy. No one would know now, and definitely benefits from the removal. I did the crane removal with a combination of 2 tools:

1) the clone tool, where you are copying a piece to put on top of the thing you want to obliterate
2) the patch tool, where you have a bit more control. You can draw round the edge of the thing to make a selection, then drag the selection away and move it about until you find a nice match, whereupon you release it and the area you release it on top of takes its place where it came from... if you catch my drift. 😜 Best done with a small piece at a time, rather than attempt the whole thing at once.

Col

boorod

Nice work Andy. No one would know now, and definitely benefits from the removal. I did the crane removal with a combination of 2 tools:

1) the clone tool, where you are copying a piece to put on top of the thing you want to obliterate
2) the patch tool, where you have a bit more control. You can draw round the edge of the thing to make a selection, then drag the selection away and move it about until you find a nice match, whereupon you release it and the area you release it on top of takes its place where it came from... if you catch my drift. 😜 Best done with a small piece at a time, rather than attempt the whole thing at once.

Col
Yeh, PaintShop has that patch tool also, just too complicated for me :LOL: , but should really practice with half the tools you get with the hardware

Cap'n Fishy

Yeh, PaintShop has that patch tool also, just too complicated for me :LOL: , but should really practice with half the tools you get with the hardware

Well, yeh - that's the thing with Photoshop - it is vast... and I can't be using more than about 0.1% of its power. It's a question of how much more do you actually need to harness and use, and how much time do you invest in learning, for things you might use once in a blue moon... 😜

Col

Latest posts