Pictorial guide to the British Ephemeroptera by Cyril Bennett and Craig Macadam

Whinging pom

Does any of the boffins on here know if this had been updated in the past ten years? I was trying to identify nymphs while kick sampling this morning and using this as a field guide There’s so many gaps in the illustrations though.
So has anything else come out in the past ten years since I got this that’s more comprehensive in identifying the nymphs ( showing various instars would be bonus).or has it been updated ?

diawl bach

No reference to updates on the FSC https://www.nhbs.com/a-pictorial-guide-to-the-british-ephemeroptera-book

I'm sure Craig Macadam would be interested in your suggestions though, he's been very helpful when I've hit cul de sacs in ID. https://twitter.com/bugsymac1?lang=en

Maybe he can recommend a companion book to Cyril's, this fits the bill, Eliot's key -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Key-Larv...wdy-sR05MqG6JQAPJipTRCHCqePPMllhoC_ZsQAvD_BwE

s-l1600.jpg

diawl bach

Cheers WP, only too pleased to take the weight off you, no commission you understand, purely voluntary 😁

Should have said I have one more in my collection offering a key to nymphs and adult mayflies which you may like to look at despite some latter day fine-detail criticism, nice illustrations, some coloured, pricey at £19, could be worth waiting for a cheaper offer to emerge.

md12200013118.jpg

Whinging pom

Cheers WP, only too pleased to take the weight off you, no commission you understand, purely voluntary 😁

Should have said I have one more in my collection offering a key to nymphs and adult mayflies which you may like to look at despite some latter day fine-detail criticism, nice illustrations, some coloured, pricey at £19, could be worth waiting for a cheaper offer to emerge.

md12200013118.jpg

……lead us not in to temptation
And deliver from diawl Bach’s postings
As our bank account is dwindling
For ever and ever
I’m skint!

D

Deleted member 81051

While mayflies are getting a mention, I made a large detailed painting of ephemera danica, during a lockdown mayfly season last year, a fine art print of which currently hangs in the German Institute of Entomology, Berlin. Ephemera Danica was nominated as the 2021 insect of the year by a committee of European entomologists last November.

4wings

I wish I had kept it, I am sure I saw a photo titled Mantis Mayfly, can anyone of you large library folk confirm its existence, please.

4wings

Just to be going on with;

And for those that need reminding here are a few trout sculptures

Last edited:

diawl bach

Mayflies of the Driftless Region  by Clarke Garry has some good illustrations, wish I'd bought that book when it came out.

maflies-ephemera-spread.jpg

I'd forgotten the name of it and while flailing around Google images I turned up quite a few good insect illustrations, not Suzi's (AFAIK) which by the way sounds amazing, but there's certainly some very good work out there.

Whinging pom

Hi 4 wings those sculptures certainly make a statement !!
the FSC MayFlies AIDGAP guide is wonderful and the one we were using theres just a lot of gaps in the nymphs. Also seeing, just the last instar of the lifecycle, doesn’t help with so much we find in the kick sample . As it is we only need to group Beatids ( olives) together for the recording sheet , but it’s frustrating not being able to tune it a bit closer and upgrade the Anorak status.
Another problem with the guide is by showing just the say, male dun, of the pale watery, it’s not showing you the female traits and the spinner idents.
I know it’s a field guide and as such needs to be compact and concise, but as an aid to identification though it’s about as good as we had in the UK so far. I’m sure with the images that Cyril and Craig have at they’re disposal it could be so much more complete

Last edited:

Latest posts