Pictures of blue trout

Cap'n Fishy

We've got threads for the others, so why not have a separate one for blue trout? We've had quite a bit of discussion on the subject, and how blues have a way of not showing up well in photos - due to the fact their colouration is a Tyndall, light-scattering effect, rather than pigmentation.

So, if we can build-up a library of shots of blues, it would be good to compare them (there are two distinct mutant types) and a useful reference source.

To kick-off, here is one I caught last week at Menteith. I suspect, from its slim build, that it is one of last year's stock.

<click on image and + for 1500 px view>

Menteith25Mar17_0525.jpg

Col

bibio1st

This one was caught on my bit of river, an escapee from a fishery a mile upstream, I'd had a few rainbows but this was the first blue.

It gave a good account of itself on a 3wt :D

CyCGWSl.jpg

Steve

Cap'n Fishy

Edit: whoops. Sorry misread the thread. I thought we were just talking about trout showing different colorations, not a specific type of blue trout. My apologies.

Yeh - no worries - how about you delete it from this thread and put it in the pictures of rainbow trout thread? :thumbs:

Col

mike j thomas

OK, as a newbie to trout fishing in the UK can anyone tell me apart from the obvious (colour) what makes a rainbow a Blue trout?
All the best.
Mike

Cap'n Fishy

OK, as a newbie to trout fishing in the UK can anyone tell me apart from the obvious (colour) what makes a rainbow a Blue trout?
All the best.
Mike

Hi Mike/

If you search around FFF, there are a few threads discussing them. They are essentially mutant rainbows. However, there are 2 different mutations that give rise to 2 different fish that both get described as phenotypic "blue trout".

The mutations seem not to be confined to a single gene, as blue trout have different survival rates, and possibly some different behavioural traits... the main point of contention being whether they fight harder than non-mutant rainbows.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Here's a couple of from last season...

From Carron Valley...

Carron23May2016_3208.jpg

Lake of Menteith...

Menteith01Jun16_3920.jpg

Col

Cap'n Fishy

One of three blues from Menteith yesterday...

Just a stockie, as all 3 were, and as always seems to be the case, the 'blueness' doesn't show up well on camera.

Col

iandyw

My first Blue, stock size about 2lb caught last month at a syndicate water in Kent.

Cap'n Fishy

My first Blue, stock size about 2lb caught last month at a syndicate water in Kent.

Nicely blue. :thumbs: I had one on Frandy yesterday and, it seemed, as it often does, to defy the camera's ability to come out blue in a photograph...

Frandy27May2017_6243.jpg

Interesting point about that fish...

I've long been a skeptic when it comes to the issue of blues fighting harder than rainbows, but that fish fought harder than all the rainbows yesterday.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

One from Menteith on Wednesday...

Menteith31May2017_6297.jpg

Note the rays on the tail - always seem to be more developed on blues than on rainbows, for the same length of residency or type of water.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

An ancient one from Menteith... not quite in the mooth! :whistle:

... and one of the few photos I have of a blue that actually came out showing it as blue! :thumbs:

Col

G

guest54

I assume there are big variations of "blue" out there, I assumed I had caught blues until I caught one that looked like it had been dipped in dye, even the eyes were blue, I then thought that perhaps the others weren't blues after all, now I'm not so sure.:confused:

Cap'n Fishy

I assume there are big variations of "blue" out there, I assumed I had caught blues until I caught one that looked like it had been dipped in dye, even the eyes were blue, I then thought that perhaps the others weren't blues after all, now I'm not so sure.:confused:

There are, as far as I know, only 2 mutations that produce fish that are known as blue trout. One is more blue than the other, while one of them has a tendency to fade with time... possibly resulting in some of the variation seen.

Or something like that...

More variation results from photographs taken of them, as it's not a pigment effect, but a 'Tyndall effect', causing light scattering - like butterfly wings, or peacock feathers. Some cameras seem to reduce the effect - mine seems particularly bad at removing blueness from blues.

Col