Pictures of Rainbow Trout

Wee Jimmy

ld5

This one is a good example of a fully naturalised rainbow trout,certainly my best one this past season.

Col,It’s a pity we didn’t have today’s camera technology back in the early 90s when we were catching those good rainbows in Loch Leven.Sure the politics of why they were even in there in the first place was not everyone’s cup of tea but no one in their right mind could argue with the quality of those grown on fish.Undoubtably up there with the best fish of any species I have seen from anywhere in the British Isles.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Col,It’s a pity we didn’t have today’s camera technology back in the early 90s when we were catching those good rainbows in Loch Leven.Sure the politics of why they were even in there in the first place was not everyone’s cup of tea but no one in their right mind could argue with the quality of those grown on fish.Undoubtably up there with the best fish of any species I have seen from anywhere in the British Isles.

Aye, I often think that - just serendipity that those fish and digital cameras/t'internet missed each other by 10 years. No coincidence that, as Loch Leven produces brownies like landlocked sea trout, so it produced rainbows like landlocked steelheads. That big number of big grown-on rainbows occurred really just for one brief season or so, fuelled by dying perch fry - and we caught all our share of them on dry fly, eh?

There were 2 distinct body-shapes. All started out as pound-class stockies, and the following season they were 5, 6, 7 lb. Some were slim, torpedo-shaped and some were deep, chunky fish.

This is about the only half-decent photo I have of one of them - one of the chunky ones...

We both said at the time we had better make the most of them, as we might never see them again... and we didn't! :(

Col

neroda

D095EE54-4CC1-4354-A25B-89E1FD3A2150.jpg

A couple from last year, just seeing how easy it is to upload photos........

Cap'n Fishy

move back would be the alternative. ;)

The way I look at that approach is...

That just makes the subject smaller in the frame. It's also a bad composition. The tail is jammed up against one side and the nose is jammed up against the other side. You also get two big rectangles of wasted space above it and below it. It's also very 'undynamic' - creating 3 horizontal blocks of: background, fish and foreground. However, if you tilt the fish in the frame, you create a dynamic diagonal, while also making maximum use of the frame by presenting the fish at the maximum size possible - with plenty space in front of its nose and behind its tail.

But there is no right way - each to his own and all that. :)

Col

billy fish

Thanks for the advice. All done in a hurry with the phone camera.
This shot is a little better . By the way ,the fish weighed just over 3 lb and went really well.

IMG_1640.JPG.

Colin.

Cap'n Fishy

This shot is a little better...

Much better. :thumbs:

I know what you are saying about doing it in a hurry. I make loads of mistakes by doing live fish shots in a hurry. So, you need to get the important things instilled into you, so you do it automatically without thinking. Took me ages to get into the habit of automatically putting the fish on a diagonal. However, any time a boat partner is holding a fish for a photo, I have to check whether the horizon is in the background. If it is, it has to take priority - worst thing you can have is a loch with a slope! :eek:mg:

Clear background, so able to turn camera to put fish on a diagonal - gives it plenty room to 'look into the corner'...

Menteith30Jun17_0202.jpg

Horizon in background, so can't turn the camera. However, getting the angler to turn the fish's head towards the camera makes it a bit more 3-dimensional than a 'flat' presentation...

00168.jpg

Col

mike j thomas

Here are a couple of Rainbows from Meon Springs a couple of weeks ago, I could hear the kids on Old Winchester Hill screaming as they tobogganed down the hill all day! It's never too cold for Rainbows!