Pike fishing on fly

Spider

Just looking for some brief pointers on fly fishing for pike.

I have a 7wt rod and I think October is the time to start, so I can extend the fly fishing calender?

Happy to start with smaller pike flies whilst learning.

What are the best months for this?

Wife is not going to be impressed :)

PaulD

Now the weather has become noticeably cooler - anytime from now, what sort of water are you looking to fish?

A 7wt is a touch light for pike, albeit you're intending to be using 'small flies' (?) and don't forget you'll need to be using a wire trace and preferably barbless pike hooks for easy, quick removal.

pikersteve

I fish for Pike on the fly occasionally with a cheap Snowbee Classic combi 9 ft 8wt. I only use small flies ( Clouser minnows ) and similar. 7 ft leader and a 12 inch wire tippet. Good fun . I just fish the margins mainly on my local pit. Stiff butt section of 3 1/2ft 25lb and then 31/2ft of 15lb followed by wire tippet. I use a small snap to change flies.

Last edited:

Spider

Paul I was kinda thinking smaller flies for smaller pike that might be more plentiful and easier to fool, and easier to cast, more importantly! I may be talking manure here though, total novice.

Spider

Steve, floating line? I'll have to stick with a 7wt for now, but it's more for rainbows than pike. Don't want to start forking out yet.

PaulD

Any tips for handling pike?
Always have a set of long handled forceps with you and a decent sized net. The majority of pike I've caught on the fly (mostly from a float tube), I've been able hand hold, across the shoulder behind the gills - fish up to 7 or 8lb. Occasionally however,you may contact something considerably larger and a net is essential and I also carry an unhooking mat if I'm bank fishing and need to take the fish out of the water.

pikersteve

It’s best to kneel astride the Pike and slide your fingers under the chin and firmly grip the chin , being careful not to puncture the soft membrane between the gill rakers.,. Carefully lift the chin while kneeling astride the Pike. The mouth will automatically open and with the other hand carefully remove the fly with a long pair of forceps.With the Pike between your legs you will feel if it starts to tense and about to flap . You simply let go and wait for it to calm down. Always have the Pike on a large soft unhooking mat to protect it. They are very fragile. They look meaner than they are but they do not bite you. Their teeth are like needles and can cut you as can their rakers but that’s all . The best advice is to take someone familiar with handling Pike on your first outing. That will give you confidence and be better for the Pike and you. Always hold them steady in the water to recover before releasing them . You will know when they are OK . I just gently hold the tail til they kick. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ejw

I fish for pike from a tube ? 4wt rods these days 8lb leader, size 10 kamasan B175 mini lure, works well. Largest so far 20lb. Good fun. Longest fight 35 seconds (15lb) probably caught 100+ pike now.

Spider

4 weight fly rod for pike? I've never heard of that. Presume the float tube adds to the resistance or something, to subdue it.

I saw Aleka rods for about 70 quid which I will definitely consider.

As a side question, who wud people recommend for pike flies, traces etc?

Pete T

Trade Member
I don't know if this is of any help but I recently recorded a podcast with Stuart Watson, chairman of the Pike Fly Fishers Association, that has lots of info on chasing pike with a fly.
You can listen here or find on all the usual platforms.

bobmiddlepoint

Paul I was kinda thinking smaller flies for smaller pike that might be more plentiful and easier to fool, and easier to cast, more importantly! I may be talking manure here though, total novice.

The two biggest pike I've had on fly (both well over 25lb) were caught by accident on salmon flies only 1.5" long. It is safe to say I was very lucky to land both on a nylon leader!

When it comes to handling them just don't be scared, they don't try to bite you! Turning them on their back makes them easier to handle and a bit calmer. The worst ones are small jacks, they don't have the weight for Pikersteve's carefully lifting the chin to open the mouth, they just clamp shut and are a pain IME.

Andy

Spider

Sportfish as good a place as any for a few pike flies and trace?

Green29

I don't know if this is of any help but I recently recorded a podcast with Stuart Watson, chairman of the Pike Fly Fishers Association, that has lots of info on chasing pike with a fly.
You can listen here or find on all the usual platforms.
It was very good, really enjoying them all, thanks

running bear

For traces I use authanic wire knotted to a snap and loop to loop connection to flouro leader. I also use standard 7 or 49 strand in much the same way, authanic wire is probably not available in your local shop.
As for leaders, get yourself two spools of stiff flouro such as Berkeley big game in 30/20 or 20/15 If using smaller flies (don’t think you get big game in 15, but Berkley do other good stiff flouro at good prices), and prepare a leader using 3 foot of each strength with perfection loops at each end of each section. Just join using the loops and then loop to loop for the trace. In that way traces and leader sections are easily replaced, as is often needed. I’ve always a few section and traces tied up in a wallet.
I ised to mess about with lots of different methods, including fusing plastic coated wore, micro rings and swivels and heat shrink etc, straight through mono or flouro but I’ve found this is the most simple and best method for me. The taper really does help imho.

raphael

Not a good idea: they are going to deeply swallow the small flies... You'll injury them uselessly (and maybe yourself when trying to remove the hook).

R

running bear

If you tie your own, start with deceivers in black and a bright colour (pink is great) and a dark/bright combo (dark tail with a bright head).
Easy to cast, quick to tie and effective. Just a tail (with some flash) and two/ theee collars of buck tail, two collars is enough upto a size 2/0, which is where I’d start, the more collars the more weight and water trapped in the dressing. Gives a fly maybe 4-5 inches that casts easy, sheds water quickly.

You can effectively pike fish with just 4 patterns, dark and bright in small and large, anything else is just fun at the vice and trying to gain that small percentage.

JoeOh

A pattern that has served me well is Bob Church's Appetizer, tandem double hook, long shank size 4.
Sparkler tube flies also effective.

JoeOh

Also, a leather glove may instill more confidence along with the long forceps and mat.

Latest posts