Pike on the mind

tobesfish

I want to get out tomorrow, grayling season done for my club now ad I don't fancy sitting still for too long on a float.

I'm yet to land a pike but I know they are there after stealing some of my fish this summer but thinking about lure fishing for them tomorrow. Is it too cold (forecast sunny but cold) for lures, i.e. will they be low on energy or could I stand a chance?

Obviously more of a chance than staying at home but what would people advise?

chris_much

I would definitely give it a go. I have caught Pike on lures with thick ice at the edges of the river. Never miss a chance to fish you never know what might turn up!

JeffR

Always worth a shot and lure fishing keeps you mobile too. I'm planning on doing same thing soon on a stretch of one of my local rivers. Not yet fished it for pike but I know it used to yield quite a few. I have caught pike on lures even in coloured/flooded rivers (obviously not ideal for a sight-based form of fishing) but then you will tend to find them in the slacks and backwaters where baitfish are sheltering. I even caught a one-eyed pike in coloured floodwater once from the Trent - took him 3 goes before he finally hit the lure mind! My biggest river pike (lure-caught, ~17lb) actually came from a tiny local river in coloured/high water winter conditions.

Stating the obvious (sorry) but don't forget a wire trace, decent sized net, unhooking mat and long nose pliers/forceps.

tobesfish

Thanks very much chaps. 8ft spinning rod with 30lb braid sourced (and traces of course) and my coarse fishing net. I don't have a mat but given it is all very soft mud (VERY soft at the moment) I think I should get away with it.

Jeltz

And barbless hooks no doubt, if you fish for Perch, you'll have a hell of a job avoiding the Pike, they always turn up when you have no intention of catching them. :D