Pink shrimp SBS.

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
Another favourite, and I'm stocking up, so a few pictures and description.
These are always on my leader in winter, tied on a size 10 veniard grub hook, finished weight is about 0.25g, so heavy enough for most situations I encounter.
If you want heavier just tie bigger with more lead.

Catch on thread, and wire rib behind hook. This is silver beading wire from hobbycraft, it's an alloy of some kind, it won't break, it's 0.19mm.
Shellback is anti static bag, cut about 4mm wide. You can cut a taper, but I prefer to just just pinch the end together, then tie it on.

23a01f60a2ae6787aaefd26f7850d841.jpg

Build up the lead underbody. This is medium lead wire that I have flattened a bit. Start with a small section at the bottom in the middle then build from this, and the hump will firm.
This is miles easier if you use GSP thread, as at the back end of every piece of lead you can pull through to cut it in situ.
When done, apply a coat of varnish.

6f7967a39ab1de125850de19cf725ccd.jpg

Dub the body. This is some dubbing I mixed myself, it's a mix of pink rabbit, lite brite, natural CDC, and chopped up pink marabou. It gives a nice variegated look when finished.
Don't be shy with the dubbing, and don't dub on too tightly. A softer dubbing rope gives better segmentation when rubbing over, and helps wrapping the dubbed thread when coming down the front slope of the lead. When done half hitch behind the eye.

47c6f0f02e34f7d9683b2e8201181411.jpg

442daf2858f76c248d4ff7f42f679ca7.jpg

Lay the shellback over and give it a tug with your right hand, this curves it around the body. Pinch the shellback against the body with your other hand and tie off, then trim. Another half hitch behind the eye.

2b69d9a249e26269a8024d0490b8aace.jpg

Rib over the shellback giving the wire a good pull to give some segmentation. Tie off, trim wire and tie off head.
I dab the head with a pink sharpie and varnish.
Then scratch out the legs with Velcro or wire brush.

d14c323af3a3f652efd750ac0788ea98.jpg

icejohn

I love this fly. But have to ask have you seen these critters in the wild and why does no one use these patterns in summer?

bibio1st

Mike, it makes more sense seeing the tying than the explanation you gave me on the way back from fishing last week :thumbs:

Just tried one, I seriously under estimated the length of wire needed :rolleyes:

Steve

beryl

What's the jaws? Looks like a metallic dogs Pen!s. Cute tie of course:thumbs:

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
John - I'll use this all year round , summertime I'll tend to use a green caddis colour with a different colour dub near the eye for legs.

Steve, yes, it's not easy to explain. The lead bit I mean.

Beryl, yes it does a bit, although cyborg canine genitalia isn't my chosen subject. The jaws are made by Jan Tvrdek - they are good, but wouldn't do your tiddly ties.

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
I haven't studied them in detail, but they don't seem to snag too often, and the way the weight is on them I'd be surprised if they didn't fish point up.

richfish1

Great SBS Mike
I've found flies tied on Curved grub hooks tend to travel point up when dressed with the normal wire or adhesive sheet, so those definitely will.