Plant ID

Cap'n Fishy

It's a Hypericum, probably Hirsutis, easker1

Thanks Derek - I thought the flower was quite similar-looking to St John's wort, which I have captured locally before...

Flowers24Jul18_1303.jpg

Flowers24Jul18_1321.jpg

Flowers20-21Jul2017_3004.jpg

Rose of Sharon is another one, isn't it?

Flowers18Jul18_0543.jpg

Col

Whinging pom

Maybe 40-50 cm tall. Flower head quite small - 2-3 cm.

It was in a bit where I have seen some 'exotic' Aliums in the past...

This from 2019 - might be the same thing...

Flowers02Jun19_4299.jpg

I believe this is Sicilian garlic - from May 2019...

Flowers17May19_2773.jpg

Flowers09May19_1427.jpg

Flowers17May19_2788.jpg

Flowers17May19_2794.jpg

And I think this is purple Alium?

Flowers17May19_2808.jpg

It is weird how they all appear in much the same spot. It is not close to gardens - it's between playing fields and a cemetery! :unsure:

Col
Col nice collection
Re allium buds
Really hard to tell them until their open unless you grow them a lot.
I can eliminate what it’s not but that’s no help… flowering period pretty crucial too. At the moment we have A. Sphearocephalon ( spelling?) which looked like those small buds a month back

Yes the darker drooping buds are A. Nectaroscordum . Sicilian honey garlic which when it’s happy naturalises very easily though the flowers are not quite as showy as the original bulbs.
Same applies to the purple ball which could be from a cultivar like Ambasador that’s reverting back . Allium hollandicum is a good place to start
As for the yellow pretty sure that’s one of the wild St. John’s worts so try hypericum maybe linarifolium or hirsutum is a good starting place .
I stick to Latin not out of snobbery but local names change and duplicate around the kingdom.
And if that’s not confusing enough regional variations are another spanner in the ID works. When I was at college we had to collect and press about 100 species covering 50 genus from something like 20families.
I thought I was way past with a huge variety of specimens from around the country. But then I came to ident them !

Lotus Corniculatus for example ( birds foot trefoil) I had it from a diminutive alpine looking, Solid round dense clumps, sprawling leggy trailers, to upright showy stems with larger flowers .. in all I had 5 specimens of the same species which with growing conditions or regional variety looked convincingly different.
Hence I can only give you a name and say that’s a good starting place….And do watch my spellings , if I’m not using names often the spelling goes!
hope that helps WP

Cap'n Fishy

Col nice collection
Re allium buds
Really hard to tell them until their open unless you grow them a lot.
I can eliminate what it’s not but that’s no help… flowering period pretty crucial too. At the moment we have A. Sphearocephalon ( spelling?) which looked like those small buds a month back

Yes the darker drooping buds are A. Nectaroscordum . Sicilian honey garlic which when it’s happy naturalises very easily though the flowers are not quite as showy as the original bulbs.
Same applies to the purple ball which could be from a cultivar like Ambasador that’s reverting back . Allium hollandicum is a good place to start
As for the yellow pretty sure that’s one of the wild St. John’s worts so try hypericum maybe linarifolium or hirsutum is a good starting place .
I stick to Latin not out of snobbery but local names change and duplicate around the kingdom.
And if that’s not confusing enough regional variations are another spanner in the ID works. When I was at college we had to collect and press about 100 species covering 50 genus from something like 20families.
I thought I was way past with a huge variety of specimens from around the country. But then I came to ident them !

Lotus Corniculatus for example ( birds foot trefoil) I had it from a diminutive alpine looking, Solid round dense clumps, sprawling leggy trailers, to upright showy stems with larger flowers .. in all I had 5 specimens of the same species which with growing conditions or regional variety looked convincingly different.
Hence I can only give you a name and say that’s a good starting place….And do watch my spellings , if I’m not using names often the spelling goes!
hope that helps WP

Thanks for that. Yes, happy to use Latin names for same reason. Re bird's foot trefoil (one of my favourites), I had noticed the huge differences in appearance, depending on whereabouts.

It grows up the middle of the forestry track to Loch Craggie...

Shinness-Jun18_7355.jpg

And it is barely 2 inches high...

... while there is a 'meadow' of it between 2 blocks of flats at Western Harbour here, and some of it is over a foot tall...

Newhaven07Jul21_0218-HDR.jpg

Flowers24Jul18_1237.jpg

Col

easker1

Came across some Lesser frog orchids at a loch last week, but I didn't have my camera and i don't have a smart phone, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

Some from Orkney last week to identify...

These were all growing at the tidal outflow of Loch of Stenness.

This looked like it might be in the Hypericum family???

Orkney2021_1010.jpg

Orkney2021_1016.jpg

This looked like perennial aster, but it is much smaller - do you get dwarf variants of it?

Orkney2021_1034.jpg

This wee guy was past its best...

Orkney2021_1046.jpg

Some colour variations...

Orkney2021_1049.jpg

Orkney2021_1091.jpg

This looked a bit willow herb-ish...

Orkney2021_1088.jpg

Col

Whinging pom

Some from Orkney last week to identify...

These were all growing at the tidal outflow of Loch of Stenness.

This looked like it might be in the Hypericum family???

Orkney2021_1010.jpg

Orkney2021_1016.jpg

This looked like perennial aster, but it is much smaller - do you get dwarf variants of it?

Orkney2021_1034.jpg

This wee guy was past its best...

Orkney2021_1046.jpg

Some colour variations...

Orkney2021_1049.jpg

Orkney2021_1091.jpg

This looked a bit willow herb-ish...

Orkney2021_1088.jpg

Col
Im unable to access reference so I can give you some guesses , from bottom eliobium parvolforum the middles look like the single flowers of one of the Armeria maritimas .. you normally see the complete cone head flower mass but as the season progresses and I guess there’s energy going into seed production the remaining buds seem to wither and dry and send out one or two flowers as a token gesture.
above that is Aster .. maybe alpinus … more likely ammelus maybe stunted by the growing conditions. Top ones doing my head in. I know it I can even think of a border I manage that has it in , but name escapes me at present . Hope that helps

Latest posts