Plastazote foam blocks

Hi there, does anyone know where to buy blocks of this in bulk? I'd prefer to buy my own white blocks and dye different colours myself.

Hmmmm never tried, thought it would be good to try. I better get a small block first and try it. Thanks for the heads up.

arkle

The dye, will only ever sit on the surfaces exposed to the dye. It will not penetrate further than a mm or so. The way foam is made, is with the dye component thoroughly mixed in the base material, before it's allowed to expand. After all, the foam is hydrophobic & water will bead on it, as well as it floating & repelling water or virtually any liquid.

Cap'n Fishy

I've had reasonable results colouring it with Pantone pens...

Black-susp_8547.jpg

It does come off a bit after a day catching fish with them, but you can always recolour them - only takes a second to do.

I agree it is likely to be a non-starter trying to dye the stuff.

PaulD

Hi there, does anyone know where to buy blocks of this in bulk? I'd prefer to buy my own white blocks and dye different colours myself.
The colour of blocks is added in the manufacturing process, any colour you could add would only be a temporary surface feature. These Wapsi blocks are very good. offered by Flyshed are very good . . .

arkle

UV resin, is now available in several different types, so it maybe worth a try. However, it's going to be quite labour intensive, as each fly will need to be done separately. TBH, I doubt if it would work well though, as resin reacts with different solvents, creating effects like colour spotting, a loss of clarity i.e. turning "milky" & possibly the inability to dry/hardened as designed as it may lose or inhibit different wavelength's of the uv source from working.