Please, no trout photos.

warrenslaney

It will be of no significance to anyone other than myself but I've ended my subscription of FF&FT after reading a cynical blog post, this time by 'Sum Guy' calling himself the damp angler. Sum Guy has a photograph of an out of season trout, and details of how he failed by catching it, including even fly choice. This year, lets work extra hard to avoid the failure of catching trout close to spawning and when they are caught by accident, not fawn over their photographs like they are a legitimate captures.

The photograph of a trout is supposed to show merit to the angler, or be an example of the population. Neither are appropriate when the target is grayling and the capture of trout, although perhaps occasionally inevitable during their closed season, may have a negative impact on future generations.

Bourach

Good point well made - I remember another forum where a so called angler on winter grayling trip 'accidentally' caught some 30 plus out-of-season brownies at a ratio of 5:1 and trying to justify this in a post full of 'money shots' of clearly spent fish - just sickening - these idiots have no place in our sport and should be given no platform

gmck75

Im not sure what your really saying. Ive just read the blog and he mentions he is targeting Grayling and caught what turned out to be his biggest trout of the year by accident or in his words "sods law". He also said catching trout out of season is "awful". Im just wondering what he's done wrong? I have know affiliation with the angler, im just interseted.

link to the blog- http://flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/blog/view/out_of_season/

Grant

andygrey

There is another thread going on this subject... http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/general-fly-fishing-discussion/340854-out-season-trout-pictures-posted-social-networks.html

The consensus seems to be that yes, we will all catch OOS fish by accident sometimes (and some for who it might not be such and 'accidental' catch...) but it's NOT OK to take photos.

I also agree that the angler in question should not have photographed the fish
It's the act of photographing rather than the actual posting that is the issue for me at least. Obviously you can't have do one without the other.

Have you thought about contacting FF&FT?

easker1

there were a couple of pics last year of out of season trout on this forum ,very non PC, please don't do it,:eek:mg: easker1

gmck75

Just a thought but id feel a little hypocritical fishing a river for grayling and potentially catching oos trout then complaining to those who take pics. If i cared about the future of trout, which i do, i just wont fish through the winter on rivers, which i wont. there for i wont be catching the trout in the first place which is far worse than them spending a few extra seconds out the water for a quick snap.

Grant

andygrey

Just a thought but id feel a little hypocritical fishing a river for grayling and potentially catching oos trout then complaining to those who take pics. If i cared about the future of trout, which i do, i just wont fish through the winter on rivers, which i wont. there for i wont be catching the trout in the first place which is far worse than them spending a few extra seconds out the water for a quick snap.

Grant
Do you ever catch OOS grayling when trout fishing??

F

fredc

i just wont fish through the winter on rivers, which i wont. there for i wont be catching the trout in the first place
Exactly. This is one very important reason why I do not fish for grayling even although there are plenty of opportunities do do so reasonably close by. It's up to the individual tho'.

F

fredc

There is no such thing as an out of season grayling in Scotland.

bobc

Be thankful for what you have. There is no such thing as an out of season fish in Cyprus , trout are targeted in winter whilst actively spawning.
The only nod to a close season in the rules is that all largemouth bass or carp caught in March and April are to be returned not eaten !

Jeltz

Or good excuse depending on how you look at it, no responsible angler who cares about the environment is going to fish an area where trout are breeding, let alone post photos to show their ignorance of that fact.

gmck75

Do you ever catch OOS grayling when trout fishing??
Andy im new to the rivers and will start next season. Perhaps thats why im looking at this a little differently. Everything is black and white to me. If im doing something detremental to the fish, like catching oos trout, ill avoid it. im not stirring it up, im sincerly interested in this. I genually dont see why taking a quick snap is any worse than catching the fish in the first place. Yes its one less thing we should be doing and ive only ever taken one pic of a fish thats posted on another thread just now but i chose not to do it because of the damage to the fish's organs. I have to say i see hundereds of pics of fish from people here and on facebook (including well known anglers) and the "grip" is what is doing the damage. I think its maybe better to educate people on how to handle fish as opposed to whether to take a pic or not. but yes, regardless of whether i like any pics or not oos trout or grayling should be a no no.

Grant

F

fredc

Just my opinion, but I believe it's better to stay off the rivers once the trout and salmon seasons close. It's not just grayling fishing either. One bunch of numb nuts were practicing fly casting on The Don during the winter. They were spotted and of course the bailiffs called. They protested that as they were only casting (with no fly) they could not be fishing and it was perfectly legal. It was pointed out to them they were wading over salmon redds.

Last edited:

Guest106

but I've ended my subscription of FF&FT after reading a cynical blog post, this time by 'Sum Guy' calling himself the damp angler. Sum Guy has a photograph of an out of season trout, and details of how he failed by catching it, including even fly choice.
Good for you. Been thinking of cancelling my sub for FF&FT too - some articles written on subject matter that the authors clearly have limited or no experience of, particularly the current issue.

mrnotherone

I suspect that once an oos trout has been through the ordeal of being caught, it cares not whether it poses for a photograph or not.

The only way to protect our fish is to give them a break. Just an opinion.