Plume Tip dressing

rusty

How many plumes should I include on say a size 16 plume tip?

I have seen suggestions from 2 to 5.

Would value some views.

Rusty

Gary Ridgeway

How many plumes should I include on say a size 16 plume tip?

I have seen suggestions from 2 to 5.

Would value some views.

Rusty
Not all CDC is created equally. I understand Jeremy Lucas dressed the original with one oversized feather on a size 14 hook, and it works! With average CDC I would use no more than 3 "normal" feathers on a fine wire hook of that size .The whole point of the fly a gentle presentation and footprint, do not overdress! Try it, it's amazing if you can cast properly with a long leader and fine tipped how easily these flies float.

luddite

For a size 16 I would use 2 good quality feathers, maybe just one really good quality feather for a really wispy fly. More than 2 and you lose the essence of the fly.

Rob Edmunds

A lot depends on the hook you are using and the type of CDC.

Dyed CDC is in my opinion rubbish, as it hardly floats....so I stick to natural colour only.

I use heavy wire hooks for my " shuttlecock " patterns so the hook cuts through the surface film and cocks the fly as it should ..

On Stillwaters I genuinely use

5/6 plumes for a size 12
4 plumes for a size 14

I rarely go smaller, but my lad ties down to size 22's as ant patterns for Brenig.....apparently he uses 3 feathers even for his tiny flies and cuts them down a touch

goldenolive

As Rob says I too like to use a heavier hook to get the fly to sit vertical instantly, to compensate on a 16 I would use 3 feathers but I always clip the stiff stem out of the feather tip, it helps prevents the fly spinning.
by clipping out the tip of the cdc feathers I can make a dense wing without the stiff bulky stems.
I also push the plume back slightly and pack a small few thread wraps in front of it (like when building a thread dam on a comparadun), this spreads the fibres more, more surface area helps floatation.
I too only use the natural undyed cdc.
one of my top river dries, rarely fails to tempt a fish during the summer under the trees. saved many a blank for me