Poacher's Electrofishing Suffolk River

JayP

Just had this update from one of the clubs I fish, Lark Angling & Preservation Society.

"Hi can all members please keep an eye out for poachers I was contacted by the Environment Agency enforcement officer today they received a report of 2 people electro fishing downstream of the road bridge in mildenhall and taking fish
The officer was unable to find them but please keep an eye out and report any suspicious activity to us or phone the environment hotline"

speytime

I don't know anything about electro fishing but it doesn't sound right that poachers/gypos are going to launch a dinghy and put a generator into it to poach?

Al

JayP

I don't know anything about electro fishing but it doesn't sound right that poachers/gypos are going to launch a dinghy and put a generator into it to poach?

Al
Al, this is organised gangs of Romanians, Lithuanians and Polish. To be frank and from other recent poaching incidents locally had the EA actually caught the poachers they'd of just given them a 'stern' speaking to and off they'd trot!

wrongfoot

Al, this is organised gangs of Romanians, Lithuanians and Polish. To be frank and from other recent poaching incidents locally had the EA actually caught the poachers they'd of just given them a 'stern' speaking to and off they'd trot!
Some ketchup for that thing on your shoulder? 😝😜

BobP

The use of electric fishing equipment without the consent of the EA would constitute a very serious offence and should result in the seizure of all the equipment pending a court case. The police would almost certainly have to be involved because the offenders would need to be interviewed under caution which means that the interviews would be recorded and that could only be done at a police station.

JayP

The use of electric fishing equipment without the consent of the EA would constitute a very serious offence and should result in the seizure of all the equipment pending a court case. The police would almost certainly have to be involved because the offenders would need to be interviewed under caution which means that the interviews would be recorded and that could only be done at a police station.
Bob, unfortunately by the time the E A got there they'd gone. About a mile away from where this happened I recently caught two men fishing illegally on club waters so I called the EA, EA arrived in time and the offenders were still trespassing, fishing out of season and stealing fish but got sent on their way with just a warning! Turns out this wasn't a one off for them but a way of life, so where's the deterrent?

wrongfoot

As there isn't a condiment for ignorance maybe change your handle to 'footinmouth' 🤪😜😝😛🤪😜😝😛

And in the last five years things have got far worse in this area https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-cambridgeshire-35101998
So let me get this straight.

The EA actually attended despite CV19 restrictions. I would suggest that's real prioritizing as CV19 policy was not to attend anything less severe than a Category 2 pollution incident in other areas of their work. It's almost as though they considered a gang using electrofishing techniques to be a big deal :rolleyes:.
They then asked for people to contact them on the incident line so they could attend again and maybe catch the poachers in the act.
And you think that's because they want to give them a stern talking to and let them go?

Also your article makes it clear that the Cambridgeshire Police often lead on the offense of poaching and prosecute while the EA always lead on rod license evasion as well as poaching in some circumstances. I note you're not having a go at the coppers. It's almost as though you didn't read the article you linked to properly?

Also the EA have no custody facilities and so cannot take poachers prisoner, they need the police to attend for that and such custody needs to be justified. Just because someone is "let go" doesn't mean they're not being prosecuted. This is basic stuff.

None of this means it has or hasn't got worse. Maybe so. Probably even. Because Austerity.

JayP

So let me get this straight.

The EA actually attended despite CV19 restrictions. I would suggest that's real prioritizing as CV19 policy was not to attend anything less severe than a Category 2 pollution incident in other areas of their work. It's almost as though they considered a gang using electrofishing techniques to be a big deal :rolleyes:.
They then asked for people to contact them on the incident line so they could attend again and maybe catch the poachers in the act.
And you think that's because they want to give them a stern talking to and let them go?

Also your article makes it clear that the Cambridgeshire Police often lead on the offense of poaching and prosecute while the EA always lead on rod license evasion as well as poaching in some circumstances. I note you're not having a go at the coppers. It's almost as though you didn't read the article you linked to properly?

Also the EA have no custody facilities and so cannot take poachers prisoner, they need the police to attend for that and such custody needs to be justified. Just because someone is "let go" doesn't mean they're not being prosecuted. This is basic stuff.
You know exactly what I was highlighting in reference to your post with the BBC article, again you're ignorance is shinning through as you try to side slip your original retort...

wrongfoot

I did add something by way of edit, which might be some context you find useful?

PS. I'm curious about how you know exactly what I know so well? Should I be flattered or concerned, it's a long way from Cambridgeshire for you to be going through my bins after all...

BobP

Bob, unfortunately by the time the E A got there they'd gone. About a mile away from where this happened I recently caught two men fishing illegally on club waters so I called the EA, EA arrived in time and the offenders were still trespassing, fishing out of season and stealing fish but got sent on their way with just a warning! Turns out this wasn't a one off for them but a way of life, so where's the deterrent?

Fishing illegally how? That's an awful long stretch from, say, setting a gill net to being unable to produce a rod licence.

So, I presume you were standing right alongside the EA officers while they were dealing with these characters so you know precisely what the conversation was.

So, let's look at it point by point. Fishing on a club's water, presumably without a club permit. That is a civil matter, like trespass. Not the EA's concern. The club can take them to the civil court if it so wishes.

Out of season. Fine, a criminal offence under SAFFA. EA will have issued an offence report on the bank. They could, and in my opinion, should have seized (not confiscated) their fishing tackle. Rod licence? You do not specify. They may have had licences but if not that is a second offence under SAFFA and would have gone down on the offence report. Nothing in that scenario is arrestable, and in fact EA officers do not have the power of arrest during the day and at night only for serious Section 1 offences and then the offenders have to be handed over to the police at the earliest opportunity.

Don't blame the EA guys for not doing what they can't. If you're that bothered get on your local Fisheries Consultative and lobby for the law to be changed.

bobmiddlepoint

Al

No need for a genny, battery packs in a back pack (plus the anode and cathod and waders that don't leak!) are all that are required.

Andy

BobP

Having used those backpack kits on a good few occasions it's not the gear I would choose if I wanted to catch lots of fish. However, it does have the advantage of being portable and less obvious than the normal full set. Quite expensive though.