Poachers...

JayP

A litre of sardine oil is about a fiver, poured into the air take on their cars should put them off fish for life

sardine-oil-1l-sea-fishing.jpg&f=720x720.jpg

sawyer

I really feel for you, it is an awful situation & one that is frustrating because of all the "genuine" anglers who are being deprived of the ability/desire to fish. FWIW i own a small stretch of a migratory fish river in N.Wales (NRW are a total waste of time), but after a couple of reports to 101 I finally got a visit (albeit 2 weeks later) from our local Police Officer & he was very helpful, giving me his mobile number & Fb address so I could get in touch with him. Ultimately he turned up on a couple of occasions & although did not actually catch anyone the deterrent was enough, for a couple of weeks.
I know you dont want to undertake direct action but in the end the constant flat tyres & dog sh$t smeared over all the door handles finally persuaded the offenders to move to easier grounds.

Reg Wyatt

I know you dont want to undertake direct action but in the end the constant flat tyres & dog sh$t smeared over all the door handles finally persuaded the offenders to move to easier grounds.
I think that very much depends on where the offences are taking place sawyer. The individual beats on chalk streams mean that pretty much everybody knows where the river keeper lives - same with game keepers on estates which makes them particularly vulnerable to retaliation attacks at home. It becomes very personal and with the keepers families involved, a whole lot more serious than losing trout.

Reg Wyatt

ejw

Unfortunately Reg is correct. Even with some "members" it can become very personal. I know from many years experience. Some members take it as a challenge to catch as many as possible, this can also work both ways and in some cases "others" can pay for this feud ! Pre mobile phone days, some areas I fished and shot were isolated, so you could be very vulnerable ! I have been threatened, verbally abused and physically attacked.
The River I fish does get poached, but since we stopped stocking, it is not viable for serious poachers, as we now have a full range of fish sizes and like nature intended there are more smaller sizes than large. Unless you really know the river catching these larger fish is difficult, so it is mostly "casual" poachers that try a one off. As it is too much trouble and effort to catch decent size fish, they don't come back.
Sad, but the best way to combat poachers. It also provides better flyfishing and saves the "stocking" money and all the fish in the river can breed !!!

sawyer

In my experience most poachers are chancers, it is a big jump from taking fish illegally to criminal damage or aggravated assault the later which is likely to lead to a custodial.
In a previous life I had to deal with a lot of very unsavory characters & the old hands that showed me the ropes always used to say that those that make threats are not the ones to worry about its the 1% that say nothing that are the danger.
I am in no way advocating violence but, unfortunately, in todays world of Policing a couple of fish taken illegally is just not worth perusing (the Police have admitted that to me personally). That leaves you with an uncomfortable choice, protect what is yours or see it decimated for now & future generations.
The trick is to find ways that inconvenience them as much as possible without exposing yourself to any risks that are outside your comfort zone.
Writing this I realise I may come across as a "keyboard warrior", I assure you I am not & I

Scotty Mitchell

A notorious poacher from a Fife village got a real sore one when persons unknown stuck razor blades on the inside of his car door handle. Before my time but a well known story, I did see the damage it did to his dominant hand fingers though, and it brought his poaching days to an end.

andygrey

Thanks for all the replies and definitely some good advice contained therein.
I have vary good photographs of one of those responsible (and the one who took a swing at me...) plus pictures and reg number of their car (which was emblazoned with a company logo.. which I am now pretty sure is owned by the main perpetrator).
Hopefully as others have said, if they get continual low-level pressure then they won't see it as being worth the bother. I'm STILL waiting for a response the the police report I made over 5 days ago but there is a very active local community Facebook page that has highlighted their activities and the river is being 'watched' (though not by people with shot-guns and big sticks...).

ejw

Not that I would advocate it, but another old trick was to put a couple of AS batteries in a petrol tank ? Nothing would happen for a while, but then as the batteries corroded in the tank, the engine would fail giving signs of water in the fuel tank ? Drain off the tank, devil all ok, for a short period, then same again. Only way to solve it is replace the fuel tank. Evil, but apparently works ??? Losers the ignition point of the petrol ? Do hope no one tries this as it is very naughty !

Vintage Badger

Not that I would advocate it, but another old trick was to put a couple of AS batteries in a petrol tank ? Nothing would happen for a while, but then as the batteries corroded in the tank, the engine would fail giving signs of water in the fuel tank ? Drain off the tank, devil all ok, for a short period, then same again. Only way to solve it is replace the fuel tank. Evil, but apparently works ??? Losers the ignition point of the petrol ? Do hope no one tries this as it is very naughty !
You can tell that's an old trick as most vehicles have locking fuel caps these days, so tricks like that are history.

Overmiwadrers

We have had the same problem to some extent. I would say build a good relationship with the local wildlife protection officer. they tend to have more sympathy. But it is a difficult problem.

O M W

rockslider

Take care you do not end up in court accused of criminal damage
they never know glueman! We spot them, take their registration, let the air out of tyres and call fisheries officers to deal with it, never approach them direct! Here you can have your car and equipment taken if caught poaching.
A couple of them just got 6 year sentences for assaulting one of our local officers. And by the way i did not say slashing their tyres, letting the air out so they cant escape!

bonefishblues

Try it out and see. If the poacher complains then the court has to follow the law you have criminally damaged property and are liable
It's nothing to do with the courts. They try what they are asked to try. The CPS and the police are the key actors here.

a. A complaint from the poacher is vanishingly unlikely.
b. It's unlikely to be seen as a prosecution in the public interest by the CPS

Hardrar

They'd probably find a way to nick that dog the way things are.
They are impossible to Nick and faithful to only one person, which they bond with. The Japanese Buddhist Monks use them to guard their temples with. Ive heard of people trying to steal them and ending up on a slab.

Latest posts