Poaching fines

Reg Wyatt

I was speaking to the Wherwell, Test, river keeper yesterday and he says the Wessex chalkstreams are being hammered by poaching 'travellers'. From Whitchurch on the top of the Test down to Romsey. Four travellers turned up at Wherwell Lakes, parked their 15K car and wandered up the river spinning the trout out with not a care in the world. Took the police three hours to turn up. For travellers there is the opportunity to pay a 'community fine?' Basically see how much they have on them and fine them that, in this case £100. So an afternoon on a lovely Test beat for £25 each. This is not going to end well. More important things going on right now I know but I feel sorry for the keepers who are under serious pressure.

Reg Wyatt

JayP

I reported a poaching incident recently and the EA turned up within 40 minutes and caught the perps in the act, basically got told they were naughty boys and that fishing without a licence, permission and taking fish is frowned on in this country. They were back at it the following week and that stretch of river is now devoid of fish!

ejw

The fine needs to represent the loss !!! Unfortunately with "other" issues it is easier to issue on the spot fines. It would be better to take these individuals to court and imposed a "better" deterrent i.e. a loss effective fine and the confiscation of all equipment including the vehicle(s) used. That just might be a deterrent !!

black and silver

Banned
Banned
Lets face it, we are a lawless country, people do what ever thay like with little or no repacusions, you just need to look at the news to see that, or read any local newpaper, you reap what you sow, and right now our country is reaping what it has sown for the last few years.
People will come back and say it's only a small minority, well let me tell you something, 10 million is a small minority in this country, thats a whole heap of trouble.
Also if you were a copper in this country with all the c**p that s going on at the moment (i'm not just talking about cv19) and somebody rings about a few gypo's taking a few fish what do you think there thoughts are, first of all it's a piddly offence in the grand scheme of things, secondly they are gonna get a load of c**p when they get there, and thirdly if they go to court at a lot of expence f**k all is gonna happen to them.
I'm not trying to undermine the seroiusnes of the offences, it's just the way this country is now.

glueman

Years ago near where I live there was a White English poacher the police new him but he was crafty he would go to one end of the county whilst his extended family operated at the other. Pheasants,Partridge,fish,Landrovers not bothered which.

hooferinsane

Not poaching, but many years ago when I was fishing the test at Timsbury, two youths parked their car on the bridge, got their canoe out and started to canoe up and down the stretch we were fishing creating havoc for us. We remonstrated with them (think this was about '89 and back then it was about £90 each, a lot in those days) The abuse we got back was unbelievable, no mobile phones in those days either. Eventually they left, fishing was spoilt for a few hours.

JCP

I was speaking to the Wherwell, Test, river keeper yesterday and he says the Wessex chalkstreams are being hammered by poaching 'travellers'. From Whitchurch on the top of the Test down to Romsey. Four travellers turned up at Wherwell Lakes, parked their 15K car and wandered up the river spinning the trout out with not a care in the world. Took the police three hours to turn up. For travellers there is the opportunity to pay a 'community fine?' Basically see how much they have on them and fine them that, in this case £100. So an afternoon on a lovely Test beat for £25 each. This is not going to end well. More important things going on right now I know but I feel sorry for the keepers who are under serious pressure.

Reg Wyatt
Hello Reg. Has been going on for as long as I can remember which now a long time.Confront them and all they want to do is take their shirt off and have fight. Once upon a time I was more than happy to oblige but too many years on me now.Still winds me up the way they virtually get away with it and always have done.They will intimidate keepers and their families with threats.Granted not all the same for sure but there are some low lifes out there.A whole new generation of them.Stealing working dogs is another of their hobbies.Lots of stories Reg but not enough time or space here...

arkle

The level these so called "fines" are set at, would even cover the cost of petrol, let alone time for doing the admin. They are no threat whatsoever to these people (?) who pay them out of their back pockets. The threat (?) of vehicle confiscation might just mean another car gets "aquired" often to order, via a text.

easker1

My Bro- inlaw bought a guard dog to protect his Pigeons but the scrotes pinched the Dog, easker1

Reg Wyatt

Hello Reg. Has been going on for as long as I can remember which now a long time.Confront them and all they want to do is take their shirt off and have fight. Once upon a time I was more than happy to oblige but too many years on me now.Still winds me up the way they virtually get away with it and always have done.They will intimidate keepers and their families with threats.Granted not all the same for sure but there are some low lifes out there.A whole new generation of them.Stealing working dogs is another of their hobbies.Lots of stories Reg but not enough time or space here...
Yes JCP there seems to be some younger keepers at the moment and fighting does seem to be happening more often with very little support from an understaffed and over worked police force. Only two full time EA guys as well so I really fear for the keepers and their families. Test Valley seems awash with these darn travellers at the moment and as Black and Silver said, it's a lawless country. Hare coursing has been very bad and and stolen working dogs every day and non stop trout poaching. The keepers pray for rain not just to top up rivers but rather to keep the pikeys away.
Always enough time for your stories JCP!

Reg Wyatt

matt808

Police don't want to know with gypsies, it's just easier for them to ignore them.
At work about 2 weeks ago one came in and threatened the girl who was working with a bottle when she told him he needed to pay for the stuff he'd nicked the day before (on cctv).
Police have done nowt, they know where he lives and who he is. They let them get away with everything because they don't want the backlash.
There is one really nice bloke, who works, who lives on the same site, the rest of them just drink and steal and claim benefits.

JayP

In the conservative election manifesto there is a pledge to make trespass a criminal offence, anyone know when this is going to come to fruition?

matt808

The only problem with that is, what happens if you stray off a footpath accidentally when walking? I can see landowners going power crazy.
A lot of landowners round here at least, hate people walking on their land and are always trying to find a way to stop people using public footpaths.
It's getting easier to find somewhere to walk in cities now that in the countryside.

glueman

The only problem with that is, what happens if you stray off a footpath accidentally when walking? I can see landowners going power crazy.
A lot of landowners round here at least, hate people walking on their land and are always trying to find a way to stop people using public footpaths.
It's getting easier to find somewhere to walk in cities now that in the countryside.
I would dispute that, the reason land owners do not like walkers/hikers is the rubbish they leave in their way down the path.Then they leave gates open allowing live stock to roam. If people were sensible there would be no problem. On open access land the mountain rescue for Scafell collect bags full of litter after a warm weekend all thrown away by walkers and hikers

ejw

Went for a "local" walk this week, used to be a footpath when I was a lad, linking a canal to a river ? Farmer has locked a gate, removed footpath signs and is using the area as storage and dump. Doesn't take a lot to loose a right of way. The farmer was not happy we were there and asked us to leave, but was worried that I knew it used to be a footpath ! Use it or loose it !

sculpin_crusader

Went for a "local" walk this week, used to be a footpath when I was a lad, linking a canal to a river ? Farmer has locked a gate, removed footpath signs and is using the area as storage and dump. Doesn't take a lot to loose a right of way. The farmer was not happy we were there and asked us to leave, but was worried that I knew it used to be a footpath ! Use it or loose it !
They can and should be reported for that. I remember fishing a couple of years ago and someone I think from the council was checking to see if that farmer had cut the footpath; it ran directly and diagonally through his crops.

glueman

A footpath through a crop had to be a yard across now 1 metre. But if the landowner can prove it has not been used for X years (can't remember the number) it can be closed. When married my wife owned a field with a path diagonaly across it a walker walked it once a year to keep it open as the path went from nowhere to nowhere no one else ever used it In the next couple of years all paths not on the official register will be extinguished

JayP

2026 is the deadline for recording forgotten rights of way https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-plans-to-simplify-recording-rights-of-way

glueman

JayP it needs a bit more adding

As well as making it easier for walkers, horse riders and cyclists to protect unrecorded rights of way, the proposed system is expected to save almost £20 million a year by cutting needless bureaucracy.

No changes are being made to the protections for rights of way; rather proposals have been made to make the process of recording or changing them more efficient.

Landowners’ applications to move a right of way will continue to be approved only if they do not affect the public’s enjoyment of it, in which case it will be more straightforward for landowners to see them through.

Under logical new plans, paths and trails that are used by the public will be easier to protect, whilst redundant routes and unsubstantiated rights of way claims will be prevented from getting in the way of farming and business interests.

This was part of a law made in 2000

matt808

I would dispute that, the reason land owners do not like walkers/hikers is the rubbish they leave in their way down the path.Then they leave gates open allowing live stock to roam. If people were sensible there would be no problem. On open access land the mountain rescue for Scafell collect bags full of litter after a warm weekend all thrown away by walkers and hikers
There are all sorts of reasons people don't like other people on their land.
In general though they just resent people being there.
A guy who owns a house over the road has a field which i walk our dogs across occasionally. A public footpath goes across the middle of it. No livestock when i go on it, if there are I don't bother.
The other day he came out and asked me to put them on a lead, and that he didn't like people on there , because it encourages other people to go on it, that he'd tried to amend the footpath so that it ran parallel to the hedge rather than across the field, etc, etc.
None of which is up to him at all.
People like that have no right to come out of their house and try to tell walkers what to do.
Most of them clearly are well off, so if they have a problem with people walking on their land, maybe they should move somewhere where people aren't legally entitled to do so.