Poaching fines

sewinbasher

I reported a poaching incident recently and the EA turned up within 40 minutes and caught the perps in the act, basically got told they were naughty boys and that fishing without a licence, permission and taking fish is frowned on in this country. They were back at it the following week and that stretch of river is now devoid of fish!
This is part of the problem, the EA/NRW can only act against illegal fishing and with rod and line that effectively stops with the possession of an appropriate rod licence, the more savvy poachers have caught on to this and invest in one. Only the police can deal with fishing without permission under the Theft Act, this does not need the possession of poached fish, fishing without paying is still theft.

sewinbasher

I would dispute that, the reason land owners do not like walkers/hikers is the rubbish they leave in their way down the path.Then they leave gates open allowing live stock to roam. If people were sensible there would be no problem. On open access land the mountain rescue for Scafell collect bags full of litter after a warm weekend all thrown away by walkers and hikers
A good example of this is "BBC Farmer" Gareth Wyn Jones having a Facebook "four letter" rant about walkers under lockdown going onto his farm high in Snowdonia and leaving gates open resulting in two flocks of sheep mixing and taking him over 3 hours to separate. DON'T PLAY THE CLIP IF YOU'RE OFFENDED BY STRONG LANGUAGE!!

Last edited:

sewinbasher

Nobody chucks anything in to his garden, hardly anyone walks on it at all.
Attitudes like yours are the problem.
Put a bull in the field, or take down all the waymarker signs, walkers end up having to go off the path, and then the landowner blames them for not sticking to it.
It's actually illegal to put a dairy bull of over 10 months old in a field with legal public access, specifically Ayrshire, British Holstein/Friesian, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry as these are automatically considered dangerous.

springwell

It's actually illegal to put a dairy bull of over 10 months old in a field with legal public access, specifically Ayrshire, British Holstein/Friesian, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry as these are automatically considered dangerous.
There used to be a monster in a field on one of the Teifi beats. o_O

BobP

On the main estate where I pick up with my dogs in the winter they have put a big sign up on some of their gates to the effect that a dangerous bull resides in those fields. There isn't, but no b*gger goes in there who isn't supposed to. Even if there isn't a bovine in sight anywhere, the sign is enough to keep the unwashed and ungodly out.

BlueFrog

On the main estate where I pick up with my dogs in the winter they have put a big sign up on some of their gates to the effect that a dangerous bull resides in those fields. There isn't, but no b*gger goes in there who isn't supposed to. Even if there isn't a bovine in sight anywhere, the sign is enough to keep the unwashed and ungodly out.
Years ago seen a sign saying "if you cannot cross this field in 9.9secs don't try, the bull can do it in 10...😁

Food for thought..

ejw

A big house near me had problems with people entering their garden from a back road, so put a sign up "Beware of Adders". It kept people off - until they were reported to the police ? It encouraged people to try and catch the snakes, so lives were being put at risk - There were no snakes, but the signs were removed and barbed wire put up !!!!

matt808

Well, it's quite a different scenario if people are trespassing on the estate (unwashed ancestors probably stuck a pike in some other unwashed to claim it), compared with people wanting to access a public right of way.