Polarised sunnies on a tight budget..

• Thread starter Deleted member 90002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 90002

Hello all and hope you are well safe and warm..
Looking for advice on a pair of polarised sun glasses for the sunnier days ahead and I haven't maui Jim budget at the moment..
Alot to ask but looking at below 50 quid..
Any recommendations please..
Thanks as always.
Gary.

airsprite

Have a look at Bloc sunglasses, i buy mine off Ebay, about £30.
The Hornet ones are good, polarised, and seem to be pretty scratch resistant.
Im rough with sunglasses, and these seem to work well without breaking the bank.
I once had a very expensive pair of prescription sun glasses fall in the Usk whilst playing a large Trout.
Lost the Trout and the shades :cry:

Steve

Rhithrogena

When we were allowed to go shopping, I always bought reduced sunglasses in TK Maxx. Current pair are O'Neill surfbrand ones - they were about £15 and are very comfortable and good lenses for plastic. My default brand are Polaroid and TK Maxx usually had options in the Plymouth store, but I have had ski brands too from there.
I also bought a pair of these https://m.maxcatchfishing.com/tortoise_frame_fly_fishing_polarized_sunglasses.html
And find them really good - I have the yellow lenses and use them on all the grey days we seem to get at Colliford. I will probably get another pair in grey lenses when the O'Neills get too scratched....
All the best,
Rich

Edit: the colour lenses I have from Maxcatch are called 'Tan' (they're yellow)
R

knoonan

Bought a pair of Fortis Amber Wraps (polarised) on eBay for £20 and seem fine. Got an emergency pair of polarisers from Boots a couple of years back and found them way to dark; almost unusable.

Rhithrogena

Gary,
I don't know if you use contacts at all. I do after initially not liking them. I use disposable ones for days working outside, on boats, fishing, and when wearing a mask (covid!!). I did try varifocals but settled on wearing a close up lens in my left eye, and a distance lens in the right ('monovision'); after a short acclimation your brain merges the images and you see everything in focus. I also rinse my disposables and use as if they were monthlies - usually get at least 10 wears out of each lens so it works out around 5p a day per lens!! This means I an use any old polarised glasses I want, with no expensive prescription lenses to lose/crush/scratch/drop off the boat...
Rich

diawl bach

Maxcatch titanium polarised do for me, under £20 ,light and strong, had a couple of seasons from them. I like the brown shades best

tenet

I have a pair of Snowbee's in my fishing bag. Light as a feather and are not tiring on the eyes. Not much need for high end glasses for fishing the majority of Stillwater against fishing some of the countries chalk streams.

bonefishblues

If you need prescription sunnies, then go for fitovers over your existing specs, perhaps. All lower-end (and maybe, for all I know, high end) models will use the same polarising film, so fit and lens colour are key.

Snowbee amber is a good all-rounder lens:

caeran

I can break specs just wearing them
I picked up a few pairs in Aldi and they were probably around £5 and were acceptable
Dropped a pair in the river so just shrugged it off
They were wrap around type and quite comfortable
For the money they are fine

Also consider Decathlon for budget conscious sports items
They also do floating sailing glasses
These are £15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mackiia1

I do lad I'm awaiting an eye test at the moment..
I would wait until you have the eye test done and then get perscription Sunglasses.
Best thing I ever did was get them.
I use them whenever I am out - walking , fishing and driving.
Optometrist told me that aged related sight loss is made worse by UV Light and everyone should wear proper sunglasses when outside - even on cloudy days.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 90002

I would wait until you have the eye test done and then get persription Sunglasses.
Best thing I ever did was get them.
I use them whenever I am out - walking , fishing and driving.
Optometrist told me that aged related sight loss is made worse by UV Light and everyone should wear proper sunglasses when outside - even on cloudy days.
Many thanks I did speak with her last year and the prescription poplars came to about 60 euro.. So it's possible. Thanks lad

gmm243

I a pair of Wychwood (Am sure that is spelt wrongly)glasses,think they were about £20.Can't fault them.
Also picked up a cheap pair in Aldi which have a great strong case and they stay in the bag all the time as a spare.These are not the most comfortable but would do a turn for a few days if something happened the others.

Latest posts