Polarized sunglasses for fly fishing

teify

Hello

I intend buying some polarised sun glasses to use while fishing and wondered if anybody had any experience of a pair they would recommend please?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

John

b13rux

I intend buying some polarised sun glasses to use while fishing and wondered if anybody had any experience of a pair they would recommend please?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

John
I recently knocked my glasses off my head into a muddy river whist retrieving a fly from a tree… so needed some replacements.

After the incident I decided spending a lot of money on really nice polarised glasses is a bit of a gamble. There Is no doubt Maui Jim’s and costas get great reviews, but they have a price tag above what I would want to watch disappear into a river.

after some research I settled on Avid Jäger seethru sunglasses. I could pick them up from my local go outdoors. They were £22 so if I loose them it’s not the end of the world. There light, come in a case and have a lanyard. And are designed for carp fishing so should work well.

And I am pleased to say they do work, really well actually, I don’t own a pair of costas or Maui Jim’s, so can’t compare. But the Avids certainly let you see the fish, and better than my polarised ray bans do. They’ve been great for river fishing. And at £22 if I do loose them I won’t be gutted.

I got mine through fishing republic which are in most go outdoors but you may be able to find them elsewhere.

Last edited:

kerryjordan

Cocoons. They work, they’re cheap and wrap around to give a lot of protection from sun and hooks. And they fit over spectacles if you wear them.

anzac

I wear prescription, polarised sunglasses all the time. In my opinion, they are worth the expense. Losing them has been mentioned, and I admit I lost a pair of non-prescription sunnies decades ago when leant over the edge of a dock to reach a boat. That would not have happened IF I had been wearing the same sort of thing many people use to hang their reading glasses round their necks.

GraylingFin

I got some Fortis Essentials (around £16) which I'm happy with. Of course there are better glasses out there but I'm on my second pair as I lost my first ones. Wouldn't want to lose a £200+ pair.

bobmiddlepoint

I don't doubt there are some very good polarised sunglasses but all the budget ones I've tried have been pretty poor. If you hold many cheap pairs at 90 degrees to a known good pair you will see lots of areas of the lens that don't go completely dark, this shows the polarisation isn't complete.

On the other hand £200 is outside of my budget too so I go for Polaroid (the brand) glasses. You can usually pick them up for around £30 from Amazon of Ebay and you know you are getting glasses which give proper polarisation.

Andy

rabmax

I got some Fortis Essentials (around £16) which I'm happy with. Of course there are better glasses out there but I'm on my second pair as I lost my first ones. Wouldn't want to lose a £200+ pair.
Depends on what you want them for.I have cheap Fortis ones.Most rivers i fish aren't clear enough to sight fish.Eye protection Seeing my sighter & spoting dark depressions in the river bed.Fortis can do this so there all i need.

arkle

Another cheapskate here, I got a pair of photochromatic polarized specs from ebay, for around £18 inc. p & p. They're comfortable & work great in all but the very brightest of conditions

Reg Wyatt

A lot of river keepers on the chalk streams will tell you that your glasses are as important as your rod and you should be prepared to spend likewise. However, the price of Costas in Stockbridge High Street is greater than any rod I've ever owned!
Good glasses, for protection as well as visibility, are vital so get the best ones you can.

Reg Wyatt

beetlebum

I have a pair of Lenz sunglasses, not sure of the model. They were reduced to £40 and have fancy Zeiss lenses. They are as good if not better than any of the Oakley's I've had in the past.

smallmouth

If I was replacing mine, I'd stick with glass lenses if I still could. I got my prescription polaroids twenty years ago. Despite my prescription gradually changing and ending up with varifocals since then, I'm still wearing the same polaroids, (my optician says they're still fine for distance), to drive and fish.

I have to peer over the top of them to tie knots etc. I've wondered about new varifocal ones and a couple of times after eye tests, I've tried new ones on that were part of a two pairs prescription deal, but they always seem inferior. My optician says it's because the lenses are plastic these days, so lack the clarity of my old pair. They live in the car, and when I get behind the wheel and put them on, I always appreciate the improvement.

skajtrout

Costas with sunrise / low light lenses. I’ve always bought them on ebay.com (the US site) at about half the UK price. I had change out of 100 quid on my current pair and they were £199 at GAC. Whatever you end up buying, get low light lenses, absolutely indispensable.

Skaj

bonefishblues

Costas with sunrise / low light lenses. I’ve always bought them on ebay.com (the US site) at about half the UK price. I had change out of 100 quid on my current pair and they were £199 at GAC. Whatever you end up buying, get low light lenses, absolutely indispensable.

Skaj
I too use a low light lens, but OP be aware that if you have pale coloured eyes they may be too light for you in bright conditions. (Of course, you can buy an additional pair for the really bright weather of that's the case!)

As an all-round shade, for most people, across the broadest range of conditions, then a tan/light brown lens is about the best recommendation.

ETA
OP, as a mid-range brand then I like Bolles. The smart way to buy them is as a polarized safety glass - lots of different styles and cheaper than Bolles for fishing, hiking etc.

Overmiwadrers

I have Smiths Optics pairs which are superb, Also some opti labs prescription ones for when I am not wearing contact lenses. All the above brands and comments are valid but whatever you get , expensive Costs and Smiths etc even cheap ones of ebay the most important thing is a proper fit.....If you have light coming in the sides of them they arent anything like as effective no matter you makes em...

O M W

anzac

A lot of river keepers on the chalk streams will tell you that your glasses are as important as your rod and you should be prepared to spend likewise. However, the price of Costas in Stockbridge High Street is greater than any rod I've ever owned!
Good glasses, for protection as well as visibility, are vital so get the best ones you can.

Reg Wyatt
Reg makes the point that your sunglasses are protection. That is a point that cannot be overemphasised. They protect your eyes from errant flies during a bad cast. They protect your eyes lenses from UV that cause them to age prematurely. They also protect your retinas from UV that can cause melanoma .

Yes, you can get melanoma lesions on your retinas. You really don't want to think through the treatment options.