Polarized sunglasses for fly fishing

teify

Has anybody any idea where I can look at some costa sunglasses on line if possible. I’ve tried sportfish, fishingmegastore and none have the sunrise lenses in stock. I was told that Costa had dropped their uk distributor so were very difficult to get!

Dingbat

Like some, all of mine have been Smiths, the latest chromapop. On a recent outing in the shade however they are too dark for me. Anyone know of polarised clear glasses, allowing one to see in the water and protect ones eyes but still don't reduce the light transmission beyond the polarisation?
The safety glasses I have found so far only have tinted polarised lenses.

Rhithrogena

There is a buzz surrounding the development of nanowire grid polarisers (NWGP). These are made of aligned nano-scale metal filaments on a transparent substrate. Early days yet but they show promise in various fields of science.
Maybe lenses embedded with silver nanowires will let sunglass manufacturers charge truly astronomical prices 🤔

bonefishblues

There is a buzz surrounding the development of nanowire grid polarisers (NWGP). These are made of aligned nano-scale metal filaments on a transparent substrate. Early days yet but they show promise in various fields of science.
Maybe lenses embedded with silver nanowires will let sunglass manufacturers charge truly astronomical prices 🤔
Interesting, thanks. Why the uncertainty about pricing though? :ROFLMAO:

JRT

What about prescription polarised sunnies with lenses suitable for fishing (amber etc)?

I've been spending £££ on Rx Costas for years but apparently, they are in trouble.

bonefishblues

Interesting - it's a very crowded and competitive market. I've seen some negativity regarding, of all things, the rubber inserts on certain models which fall off for fun.

Moorsman

Has anyone tried the Specsavers prescription sunglasses for fishing ,they cost around £80 ?

Overmiwadrers

just out of interest a month or two ago I bit the bullet and purchased some online prescription polarised varifocals from opti labs . Anyway the lenses arrived from the states and had a fault in the coating at the edges. Opti labs cut them down put them in a frame and sent them to me free. to avoid any further delays I wore them all day yesterday. They are a bit narrower than I would have liked but still very very good. After a week they rang to ask how I was getting on with them and suggested if I liked them I should keep them and they would supply me a pair in a different lense colour combo which I am now waiting for. Have to say although slow the service has been impressive will give full review later.....when the second pair arrive , Two pairs for the price of one what is not to like

O M W
, The second pair took a while to arrive and they werent actually quite what I ordered . The ( lense manufacturer got it slightly wrong ) glasses perform ok but they werent an ultrathin lense as I ordered . Masses of apologies followed after I complained , They have since refunded me in total but also supplied me with exactly what I ordered and am very well pleased . No charge but have simply said if you want to make a payment part or Whole then it entirely up to me.

Astonishing level of service and despite the problems have been very impressed. I will be making a payment .

arawa

Not sure about now, but 18 months ago it was impossible to get prescription Costas in the UK and the US dealers would not provide them from a UK prescription. So I bought Maui Jims instead and I am very happy with them. Not cheap though!!

Sako75

Apparently the story goes regarding Costas that they were bought by a sort of 'eco friendly' outfit who decided to cease providing/manufacturing sunglasses for anything that might involve 'cruelty' sports and yes in their view that included fishing. I'm told they now are focussing on surfing etc. and bringing out a range for that type of market (you know bright orange, turquoise with red lenses). Although like many have commented i'm also on a budget but still shelled out on quality glasses (when you look like i do the more of your face you can hide the better :D)

Smiths Guids Choice.jpg

bonefishblues

, The second pair took a while to arrive and they werent actually quite what I ordered . The ( lense manufacturer got it slightly wrong ) glasses perform ok but they werent an ultrathin lense as I ordered . Masses of apologies followed after I complained , They have since refunded me in total but also supplied me with exactly what I ordered and am very well pleased . No charge but have simply said if you want to make a payment part or Whole then it entirely up to me.

Astonishing level of service and despite the problems have been very impressed. I will be making a payment .
Your posts prompted me to speak to Tony, who is a delightful man, clearly :)