Polarized sunglasses for fly fishing

teify

Has anyone tried the Specsavers prescription sunglasses for fishing ,they cost around £80 ?
My wife uses a pair of Specsavers prescription sunglasses for fly fishing and reckons they’re brilliant.

Last edited:

JRT

Apparently the story goes regarding Costas that they were bought by a sort of 'eco friendly' outfit who decided to cease providing/manufacturing sunglasses for anything that might involve 'cruelty' sports and yes in their view that included fishing. I'm told they now are focussing on surfing etc. and bringing out a range for that type of market (you know bright orange, turquoise with red lenses). Although like many have commented i'm also on a budget but still shelled out on quality glasses (when you look like i do the more of your face you can hide the better :D)

View attachment 44101

Their new owners are https://www.essilorluxottica.com/brands

Not sure what the point would be of buying a brand built on supplying sunglasses for fishermen then alienating your core customers, but what do I know?
I hope they continue and keep up the quality and customer support.

Are Maui Jim's glass lenses?

bonefishblues

Not sure what the point would be of buying a brand built on supplying sunglasses for fishermen then alienating your core customers, but what do I know?

Ah, that crowd. I actively avoid them. Predatory and actively buying up as much of the global eyeglass market as possible. Given their proclivities I am surprised that they would be in any way squeamish about angling.

arawa

No, and for that reason I was initially reluctant to buy them thinking that glass was the best material to have. But my optometrist (asking me where I had obtained my MSc Clinical Optometry degree 🙄) assured me the lenses were as good as I could get. And they do seem as good as the Zeiss glass lenses in my standard spectacles.

Reactions: JRT

Sako75

Or me but your in Hampshire ask 'Alistair' he bought the UK stock.

Reactions: tbs

JRT

My recent findings. Good knows whats happening with Costa but forget getting an Rx Costas outside the USA. Framesdirect will ship them to the UK but I priced them up as $700 + shipping and then UK import duty/VAT so probably $1000 when they arrive!!!!

Really struggling to find Smith Optics prescription service in the UK that actually uses Smith lenses? Rather than using their own crappy versions - basically they sell frames.

Maui Jim - the only outfit which is widely available in the UK with UK/EU customer service and warranty. So it looks like it will be MJ from now on.

Please let me know if I am wrong on Costa or Smiths or if there is anyone else doing glass-based Rx lenses with tints suitable for flats.

roadrunner1000

I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses from glassesdirect.co.uk . Oakley frames , grey polarised 'thin' lenses (for the weight saving as I don't like heavy glasses) , £120. Could have bought a cheaper/unbranded frame from them but I can use these as a general pair of sunnies too. Don't know how good they would be on the 'flats' but fine for my local ressie.
They always have special offers (y)

Dingbat

My recent findings. Good knows whats happening with Costa but forget getting an Rx Costas outside the USA. Framesdirect will ship them to the UK but I priced them up as $700 + shipping and then UK import duty/VAT so probably $1000 when they arrive!!!!

Really struggling to find Smith Optics prescription service in the UK that actually uses Smith lenses? Rather than using their own crappy versions - basically they sell frames.

Maui Jim - the only outfit which is widely available in the UK with UK/EU customer service and warranty. So it looks like it will be MJ from now on.

Please let me know if I am wrong on Costa or Smiths or if there is anyone else doing glass-based Rx lenses with tints suitable for flats.
Costas seem to be about 300 here, 700 strikes me as being high, but then again I don't have prescription glasses yet.

JRT

Green Mirror 580G (glass) lenses are £200+ but add a prescription and the cost is at least £250. The last pair I bought were £475 4 years ago. I got these via Seapower the Costa UK disti - now no longer trading. The issue now is there are no Rx options for Costa in the UK.
I think I'll go for Maui Jims.
Thanks

bonefishblues

I tried my old (1998 IIRC) Costa prescription glasses yesterday. I think my eyes are changing and coming back into prescription again, which is nice :)
...in fact when measured my right lens is bob-on, and the left only 2 points away, so they are back on the road again, which is even nicer. My long vision's improving, and my short is ever more hopeless, so I've fitted my favourite stick-on magnifiers to create bifocals.

trevh

Without a doubt the best prescription polarised glasses I’ve ever had were transitions drivewear lenses from my optician, made to my verifocal prescription.

I now need a new pescription but struggling to find decent frames (for someone with a big oval head). I shall probably be heading to https://www.optilabs.com/. It’s a bit of a trip so it’ll mean surrendering a fishing day (Which so far I’ve been reluctant to do, but when you can’t see the fish …)

gg76

Costas with sunrise / low light lenses. I’ve always bought them on ebay.com (the US site) at about half the UK price. I had change out of 100 quid on my current pair and they were £199 at GAC. Whatever you end up buying, get low light lenses, absolutely indispensable.

Skaj
Hi Skaj,
Did you have to pay any import tax on these sunnies? I need a new pair of Costas after mine went into the drink at Lake of Mentieth !
cheers G

skajtrout

Yes I did, on eBay listings from the US you pay it at the point of purchase, seem to recall it was around 20 quid.

Skaj

bonefishblues

If you're set on a like-for-like replacement, then eBay and Amazon have up-front carriage and duty as part of the sale process.

If you'd be interested in a better value pair which IMHO* are every bit as good as Costas, take a look at these:

*I've used Hobie for approaching 20 years. An unsung brand. See also their Sightmaster and Amber lens colours.

ETA
...or maybe a pair that float might be useful? ;)

Last edited:

stevel

Been mentioned on here before but direct marketers Haber Vision sell fishing glasses for about $70 to which shipping and vat should be added
I did buy some of these years ago and they were good, but the frames weren't as nice as those say from Costa or other premium brand.
As I recall, an ex Bolle senior exec started it up.

gg76

If you're set on a like-for-like replacement, then eBay and Amazon have up-front carriage and duty as part of the sale process.

If you'd be interested in a better value pair which IMHO* are every bit as good as Costas, take a look at these:

*I've used Hobie for approaching 20 years. An unsung brand. See also their Sightmaster and Amber lens colours.

ETA
...or maybe a pair that float might be useful? ;)

Thanks Bonefish,

These shades look really good! Thanks for talking the time to post.

And aye a floating pair would have come in handy 😏

Cheers G

Latest posts