Polyleader issue..

Scotty Mitchell

I use this tactic when fishing on large reservoirs or lochs,usually from a boat.As well as imitating whatever happens to be on the water at the time,it can be very effective even when there are very few fish rising and nothing to come up for...👍

Absolutely. It’s my go to if there are no risers from the bank also.
2 hoppers, one dry one just in and keep walking.

Wee Jimmy

Absolutely. It’s my go to if there are no risers from the bank also.
2 hoppers, one dry one just in and keep walking.

I’ll concede that it’s effectiveness will vary depending on many factors ,food availability and water clarity to name but two. Generally though it is a big mistake to assume the dries are only worth trying when there are fish rising...particularly on places where terrestrials provide the bulk of their food.The trout in those environments are usually looking upwards for their next meal and are ready for any opportunity to do so.

easker1

I stopped the polyleaders when I found the outside of the PL could move independent of the core Mono after a period of use, easker1

Wee Jimmy

I stopped the polyleaders when I found the outside of the PL could move independent of the core Mono after a period of use, easker1
I will look out for that if I decide to continue with them ....😉

ed_t

You can strip the poly leader tip back to the core and tie on a tippet ring. Bit fiddly.

Wee Jimmy

You can strip the poly leader tip back to the core and tie on a tippet ring. Bit fiddly.
They come with 8 inches of the core already exposed.I tie in a fig 8 loop or a tippet ring as you say.

ed_t

They come with 8 inches of the core already exposed.I tie in a fig 8 loop or a tippet ring as you say.
Fair enough, ones i dabbled with had loops both ends, and i didn't trust the fine end. Sheath moving over core shouldn't be a problem if you gink it for a floater.

Wee Jimmy

Fair enough, ones i dabbled with had loops both ends, and i didn't trust the fine end. Sheath moving over core shouldn't be a problem if you gink it for a floater.
Those were the very early ones, which simply had loops in the core at either end.I remember I wasn’t impressed with that idea as an interface at the flyline end either at the time.I suspected they would be prone to hinging but in practice they seemed ok.The sheath on those old ones was much easier to strip or rucker up than the current versions.