Poorly Spooled UTC thread.

syphogenic

I’ve had enough of 70 denier UTC thread. I’ve had it from multiple sources over a dozen years and it’s a rare spool that the thread has been spooled correctly on. They usually end up in a mess with two threads coming off the bobbin because they’ve crossed over the thread when spooling. If it was occasional, fair enough, but it’s virtually every spool.

What are your experiences of the Wapsi and have you got a better alternative?

scottp

I love the UTC 140 thread; use it on lots of larger dries I tie for Montana. I’ve had a few instances where the thread was poorly spooled - I complained to the (online) vendor and they replaced, free of charge.
The UTC 70 I find to be too “flossy” and rarely use; I prefer Danville 6/0. Haven’t tried any of the Veevus threads but they seem to get good reviews.

Regards,
Scott

syphogenic

I have a spool Of shell pink 140 that I got given, it’s a mess too! I’ve no problem with Veevus or Danville’s but I’m after a flat thread like the UTC that’s reliable and I don’t have to throw away. Uni thread can spool their Trico without issue and it’s flat and much finer than the 70 denier so what’s going on with Wapsi....it’s so common it’s either deliberate or zero quality checks.

fishing hobo

I don't use UTC 70 that often so can't say if it is an issue. I find that you have to be careful about avoiding fraying the thread strands with the hook point and your finger's skin if it's rough so I prefer Uni threads.

arkle

I hate the stuff & will only use it as a last resort if the same colour's not available elsewhere. Sure the bobbins look & are faily decent i.e they work perfectly well with other threads wound on with a re-chargable drill, but their own stuff really is abombidable.

syphogenic

I agree, the bobbins are good, it lies nice and flat when required. Okay, it’s not user friendly for rough hands, agreed. When you get quarter of the way into the spool and it becomes a tangled mess that’s a problem with the manufacturer. Now you probably won’t remember where you got it, don’t have a receipt, or have mail ordered it so it would cost too much to return it or the fuel in returning it would cost more than the thread. It’s a bit of a **** take that so many are faulty.

pentlandflyman

I love the stuff and use a lot of it in 70 without any issues but the 140 is a nightmare, i chucked three spools out recently that had all tangled on the spool and they were all fluorescent colours...coincidence ? fl orange, fl red and fl white all bought at different times. The only other thread i have had it happen with is the veevus g.s.p which i have stopped using its that bad.

arkle

Unithread, is not only round in section, as it's 3 x twisted cores it's also lightly waxed & polyester so the tendency to unwind itself & become flat like UTC, is unlikely to happen. UTC is nylon & flat in section & un-waxed so the only thing that holds on the spool is the tension provided by the winding machine. Virtually all other flat threads, other than perhaps some some g.s.p's (which are also VERY "slippy") are waxed, so the tendency to de-spool/whatever is much greater than with normal everyday nylon & polyester ones.

lukewarm

A lot of people seem to be happy with ‘Sheer’ .
Never used UTC so can’t comment .
I’ve found one of the best to be Danville’s Flymaster & best price-wise :thumbs:

Lucian

Trade Member
I personally love Uni Nylon 70DEN. It lays flat and can be used for small and very small flies without any problem. The only problem is in colors, this Uni thread is available in black and white. But white can be colored with a permanent marker :)

pete4fishing

I’ve had enough of 70 denier UTC thread. I’ve had it from multiple sources over a dozen years and it’s a rare spool that the thread has been spooled correctly on. They usually end up in a mess with two threads coming off the bobbin because they’ve crossed over the thread when spooling. If it was occasional, fair enough, but it’s virtually every spool.

What are your experiences of the Wapsi and have you got a better alternative?
Veevus is a cracking thread.