popper flies

sammor

Can anyone tell me how to fish fly poppers correctly ok I know the purists out there will have deep frowns on their faces . I saw some one use them yesterday with no luck and asked if I knew if what he was doing was right . I had no idea . I'm curios to know if anyone uses or know how to use them

ant77

Short spurts, medium spurts, long spurts, varied spurts. You are fishing for Pike, right?

ant77

Oooh. Well, they're good for pike. Try a similar retrieve to what you would with a Muddddler.

Mark Morton

Never used poppers over here but have used them for large mouth bass in Texas and ant is on the button. The word 'popper' says it all. The way I was shown over there was to make the LURE pop in the surface. Over here I would fish them as I would a muddler or big bushy contraption, when rainbows are chasing on the surface in a wave/ripple. Long fast pulls and no slowing down when you see the huge bow wave approaching from behind. Even an over hand retrieve with the rod tucked under your armpit. Exciting fishing when they are on because unlike bass which tend to hit the lure from below in a crashing take, rainbows tend to chase for quite a way before taking hold and you can see them coming.

bobc

I have used them in the UK for trout and over here for bass, hbbug pretty well has it . You will be surprised how often trout will take them , the key is to try all types of retrieve , not always wild popping . My most effective is to cast out , leave it for a minute then a hard pop then leave it again after that a mixture of pops and wiggles , the pause often gets them . I have seen 4 pound bass take a stationary 3 inch popper with a gentle porpoise rise , obviously you want a lot smaller sizes for trout and they do follow more than bass do before taking . Very satisfying to tie too albeit more model making than fly tying .
Bob

bobc

Last edited:

novicefly

Popper shipmans buzzers have to be one of the get out of jail flies on my local stillwater!

I tend to get the one that have a foam popper, and usually fish these when it is largely windy and difficult to see smaller flies!

I tend to cast out, and twitch intermittently with a short retrieve!

Great for stillwaters! Not for the purist! But hey ho so what!