Potential fishing location (Ottery, Cornwall)

Jimfandango

Hi all.
I'm a farmer and not really a fisherman but I am after some advice/information, well any input really. If you could help it would be much appreciated.

We have approximately 1 mile stretch of one bank of the river ottery. It is mainly trout and sometimes has early salmon, not sure of what else. The access is reasonable but could be improved.
I am considering potentially offering it privately. I'm not really sure of the quality of the fishing and thus whether it would be an attractive proposition or not. Presumably some sort of camping option would be preferable. There are also nearby holiday cottages which might be an option. Is a subscription/membership model favoured by you guys or a sort of pay as you go thing?

Cheers

thetrouttickler

I've added a link to Fish Pass too now (which is probably the wider known of those links anyway)
I see they have a stretch of the Ottery, sounds an easy way to offer access.

ps off topic but I like the look of the Heddon Valley... anyone fished it?

elver1

You could try speaking to Scott West from the West Country rivers trust. Appreciate you said in your post you want to offer it privately, however they do a passport scheme and they will give you an honest evaluation and could help/suggest any habitat in- river improvements

catzrob

Fish Pass is the West Country Rivers Trust's app. It's a great way to let people on the river.

I will also volunteer to come and test the fishing any time you like.
Not fished it but walked it. It's lovely and there are certainly fish to be seen!

tierradelfuego

I see they have a stretch of the Ottery, sounds an easy way to offer access.

I fished it last year, probably one of my most enjoyable fishing days in years in the UK. It starts on the beach and you work your way up what starts out as open pools, some pretty deep, with some reasonable falls so quite a climb up or walk round to the next pool. After a short while you are into tree-lined fishing and pretty tight stuff with smallish pools. Some definite slippy stuff and climbing up banks to get out and round in a few cases. This continues up back to the house and parking with some tricky but excellent fun fishing. For someone used to southern chalkstream fishing it's a big change but very similar to what I do out in Oz when we visit my wife's family, challenging but rewarding.

I fished a half day pretty swiftly as my wife was walking the dog and didn't want her waiting around, so prob 3 or 4 hours and 14 lovely brownies, klink and dink which is my usual on these waters, but I'm sure dries or nymphing would work very well.

bobmiddlepoint

Further to the post above about the Heddon.
It does, or did twenty years ago, get a run of peal (sea trout). Mainly small fish but I saw the occasional bigger one and that was only from glancing in the stream while walking in the area.

Andy

Reactions: JJO

vital

Hi,
You could get in touch with Colin Nice at nicefishing@btinternet.com. He’s a really helpful guy who has a syndicate water on the Otter at Tipton St. John. He’s a pro guide, knows his onions, and could probably advise you the best way to go, a genuinely helpful gent You could also speak to Paul Kenyon at www.flyfishingevonco.uk, whom I would describe in similar terms
ATB,

boisker

Hi all.
I'm a farmer and not really a fisherman but I am after some advice/information, well any input really. If you could help it would be much appreciated.

We have approximately 1 mile stretch of one bank of the river ottery. It is mainly trout and sometimes has early salmon, not sure of what else. The access is reasonable but could be improved.
I am considering potentially offering it privately. I'm not really sure of the quality of the fishing and thus whether it would be an attractive proposition or not. Presumably some sort of camping option would be preferable. There are also nearby holiday cottages which might be an option. Is a subscription/membership model favoured by you guys or a sort of pay as you go thing?

Cheers
i would approach West Country rivers trust... they will come out and assess for you
or alternatively contact Launceston Angler’s who have a number of stretches and may be interested in discussing a lease... http://launcestonanglers.org.uk/contact-us/