Premiership Rugby

delray

Anyone see the Pat Lam/Bristol/Afoa debacle last weekend? I think older rugby guys will find it very distasteful.
Briefly; Injury time, Bristol replacement prop sin binned with Bris, 3 points up, under huge pressure at a defensive 5 yard scrum. A prop required, but Lam claims Afoa is injured even thought their stated rason for replacing him was tactical, reason being they wanted uncontested scrums. Ok, says the ref, in that case you go down from 14 to 13 men in accordance with the rules (who knew?). Aahh, in that case he's not injured says Lam/Bristol. Afoa goes on, gets 'into' Genge, scrum over, end of game, Bristol win by 3. In fairness to Afoa it appeared he was happy to go on from the beginning of the shenanigans.
End of things? No; Afoa then gets into Wigglesworth's face and the 38 year old scrum half goes for him, wrestling him to the floor and that's when the handbags appeared with 16 or so players involved.
I've not looked too hard, but not seen any sanctions made against them so far.

Mr Notherone

Anyone see the Pat Lam/Bristol/Afoa debacle last weekend? I think older rugby guys will find it very distasteful.
Briefly; Injury time, Bristol replacement prop sin binned with Bris, 3 points up, under huge pressure at a defensive 5 yard scrum. A prop required, but Lam claims Afoa is injured even thought their stated rason for replacing him was tactical, reason being they wanted uncontested scrums. Ok, says the ref, in that case you go down from 14 to 13 men in accordance with the rules (who knew?). Aahh, in that case he's not injured says Lam/Bristol. Afoa goes on, gets 'into' Genge, scrum over, end of game, Bristol win by 3. In fairness to Afoa it appeared he was happy to go on from the beginning of the shenanigans.
End of things? No; Afoa then gets into Wigglesworth's face and the 38 year old scrum half goes for him, wrestling him to the floor and that's when the handbags appeared with 16 or so players involved.
I've not looked too hard, but not seen any sanctions made against them so far.
I need to suspend my dislike of Leicester here because I thought they were hard done by. Bristol claimed Afoa was injured until they realised they would be down to 13 and still need to put 8 in the scrum. Then he miraculously recovered, by which time Bristol had also had a 10 min breather. Unfair I think and needs to be looked at.

original cormorant

A lot of people had a lot of goodwill and admiration towards Pat Lam and Bristol built up over the past couple of years. He completely blew it in the space of a few seconds by his lying and then by not confessing and apologising in the post match interview.

anith

I need to suspend my dislike of Leicester here because I thought they were hard done by. Bristol claimed Afoa was injured until they realised they would be down to 13 and still need to put 8 in the scrum. Then he miraculously recovered, by which time Bristol had also had a 10 min breather. Unfair I think and needs to be looked at.
Why do you dislike Leicester?????

Mr Notherone

A lot of people had a lot of goodwill and admiration towards Pat Lam and Bristol built up over the past couple of years. He completely blew it in the space of a few seconds by his lying and then by not confessing and apologising in the post match interview.
I wish that wasn't true, but I think you might be right.

PaulD

The 'incident' smacks of Bloodgate injury -

The laws are very clear, if a player comes off, the reason for them coming off must be stated on the replacement card - tactical or injury - Law 3 Team, un-constested scrums comes into play.

boisker

Probably as a long time Bath fan! Can't deny they are a strong club and at times play some great rugby - just don't like them :)

I don’t like Leicester or Bath 😂 😂 😂
no idea why...
at a guess it’s related to them being ‘big’ names I heard a lot years ago when I was still more of a league fan

boisker

Not a fan of proper men's rugby? :ROFLMAO:

I grew up watching both... Although Union only at international level.. (which to be fair doesn’t mean much, as a kid I would have watched the tiddlywinks World Cup if England were playing) and I did spend the first 20 yrs referring to Union as “kick and clap” 😂
but from about 20yrs old, after I‘d headed down south and got to understand Union better, I’ve always watched both... for 30 yrs more union than league as it’s easier to access in the SW...
very fond memories of watching Wigan RL as a kid... my dad was from Wigan, i had a season ticket from 4 yrs old, we always called in to see my Grandad after the game who would wind me up and say there were rubbish and I should have seen them in the 50’s and 60’s... to be fair they were rubbish, this was the 70’s... I watched them for 9 years before they won anything... didn’t miss a h9me game in their only ever season in the 2 nd division... can’t remember the last time I watched a league game live... early 90’s at a guess:rolleyes:

boisker

That does explain a lot Matt...do speak up if you want me to go a bit slower going forward :ROFLMAO:

I still remember the shock of my union mates after the first Wigan v Bath game... 😂
mmm perhaps that’s the link to my dislike of Bath... as for Leicester... surely it being Leicester is enough:)