Proberos Fly Reel worth looking at

Gdog

This is a fly reel I saw for the first time on Aliexpress last weekend, I haven't seen it mentioned on the forum by anybody else, so if someone has posted about this reel already, apologies, either way check this link;

Aluminum 3+1 BB Fly Fishing 5/7 7/9 9/10 WT Wheel Green & Gun Color Fly Fishing Reel CNC Machine Right & Left Handle Fly Reel on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

I've copied the link from Aliexpress, if it doesn't work I'll try again from my work computer tomorrow.

View attachment Proberos reel.pdf

It certainly looks very good for the price, its about 2/3 the price of the Piscifun Sword and about 3/4 the price of the Maxcatch Avid which are 2 Chinese reels that many forum members have purchased and appreciated.

This reel has one sale to date (me) I bought the 7/9 size for €30,81 about £25/26 without any discount coupons, so it could cost less.

The seller has a few colour options for this reel, I thought the natural anodised and green combination looked the best. When I receive my reel, I'll post again with a few images.

Last edited:

lee71

I ordered a chinese 2/3 # reel for £13 and it was great for the money, I think the same factory (Leichi industries I think) churns them all out and sellers buy off them, If I was you I'd give it a go as it should be a nice reel.:thumbs:
Also google the maxcatch website.

Sorry jumped in too quick there, I didn't realise you'd bought one. Looked forward to hearing about it.

Gdog

I ordered a chinese 2/3 # reel for £13 and it was great for the money, I think the same factory (Leichi industries I think) churns them all out and sellers buy off them, If I was you I'd give it a go as it should be a nice reel.:thumbs:
Also google the maxcatch website.

Sorry jumped in too quick there, I didn't realise you'd bought one. Looked forward to hearing about it.
Lee, I've already ordered one of these reels, will post photos when I receive it.

I have a Maxcatch Avid in the 3/4 size and I'm really pleased with it, the drag was tested by a 7lb 4 oz rainbow over the summer that emptied the line and about 20 yards of backing off the reel, this little reel was well up to the task.

The seller I bought from has a few other reels, all machined reels in the same price range as the one I bought, worth having a look at.

Gdog

This caught my eye
''Can not deliver to United Kingdom''

Jim
Jim

I'm surprised about that because there was no issue with ordering from Ireland. Can you post a screenshot of where the website advises "can not deliver to United Kingdom" This would surprise me as I have never had a problem ordering and getting deliveries to Ireland from Aliexpress, apart from the long delay with China post and one order that got lost.

In case anybody suspects, I don't have anything relationship with this company, I am sharing a product other forum users might be interested in.

Gdog

I browse Aliexpress for fly reels quite often to see if there is anything new worth buying, to be fair there is alot of weird designs and colour combinations and just plain junk. This reel looked like it was worth a punt.

I suppose there are a lot of new companies just starting out selling on the internet, I've had a few issues buying on Aliexpress for sure. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't sell to any country in western Europe.

Gdog

I received this reel in the post today. It had minimal packaging just two turns of heavy duty adhesive tape wrapped around a cheap cardboard box, with a black cloth pouch.

The reel looks nice and was well machined and light but......

The push button release was very stiff and took a few attempts to get the spool off the reel.

I rotated the drag button around about 95% of its limit before the drag increased and it was only minimal.

I rotated the drag button back and forth, the drag made a metal on metal screeching sound when rotated in both directions. This reel is a pile of junk I've contacted the seller for a refund.

So everybody, don't buy one of these reels, It sure looks pretty but it doesn't work. I'm surprised it got past any QA procedures, if there were any. :puke:

Last edited:

flyfisher222

Banned
Banned
"Proberos". Totally meaningless - just a front to hide behind. It's not even the name of some minor Greek god. Nor that of a world famous Chinese angler :)

There are dozens of these pretend fishing tackle 'manufacturers' hanging around. Often very briefly (so that's the chance of your ever getting a spare part gone).

Pretend manufacturer? Sure. CNC machines are expensive but once purchased they can churn out very complicated-looking objects in everything from very low numbers to very high. And as they also make design input very simple even low number objects are cheap to make.

So what happens? These small pretend manufacturers (and I include some well-known and 'respected' fishing tackle outfits in that) buy the inevitable short-term and intermittent spare capacity of large outfits such as car part suppliers to make things such as reels with their name on.

And the designs are complicated and "designed this way because we can", not because of any merit. And none of these fancy CNC-made 'open frame' designs will survive the 'accidentally trodden on' test.
And if you compare them with, for example, an Orvis CFO or Hardy Lightweight (not that I particularly recommend either, though I've nothing against them) they are not even light.

Gdog

I contacted the seller by email for 2 days and was fobbed off. So I put the case in to dispute with Aliexpress yesterday evening and received an email back this morning from Aliexpress awarding me a full refund minus 1 cent.

I am now the proud owner of a nice looking reel with a useless drag for 1 cent. Not sure what I will do with it.

speytime

The drag should be easily sorted out, it'll need a shim/spacer between the dial and drag plate.
Remember the screw on the dial are usually left handed threads.

Al

Gdog

The drag should be easily sorted out, it'll need a shim/spacer between the dial and drag plate.
Remember the screw on the dial are usually left handed threads.

Al
Thanks Speytime, I was actually thinking about removing the cover off the drag and seeing if there was anything obvious, are there any online videos that could help and what type of material is the shim / spacer.

speytime

Thanks Speytime, I was actually thinking about removing the cover off the drag and seeing if there was anything obvious, are there any online videos that could help and what type of material is the shim / spacer.
I'm not sure but it's certainly worth a look on YouTube, going on past experience it's pretty straightforward once you see it, i suspect there'll be a washer bent into a convex it's probably flattened out I'd either double up the washer and re bend it, or preferably replace it with a rubber spacer.
If you don't mind let us know how you get on.

Cheers Al

Gdog

I'm not sure but it's certainly worth a look on YouTube, going on past experience it's pretty straightforward once you see it, i suspect there'll be a washer bent into a convex it's probably flattened out I'd either double up the washer and re bend it, or preferably replace it with a rubber spacer.

Cheers Al
Al,

Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow and will let you know how I get on.

diawl bach

A good thread, shows the ups and downs of dipping into the global market.Impressed by the speed of Aliexpress's response in a dispute, beats the bay.

Still looking for a decent cassette reel from China if anyone's spotted one, not many out there as far as I can see. Have they gone out of fashion?

Gdog

Cheers Al
I've looked at a few videos on YouTube to try and work it out. I've tried to prise the drag cover off the reel with small screw drivers and it will not budge, I've nothing to show for my attempts but loads of mark's on the reel.

Well I'm only down 1 cent, so I'm not too bothered.

I needed a reel, so I ordered one on Maxcatch, paid a bargain price, it could be a mistake on the sellers side.

If the sale goes through I'll post it on the Maxcatch thread. :thumbs: