Problems with Next Blank

kingf000

Earlier this year I made a 7'6" 3wt fly rod from a Next blank, bought from BFC. It is an IM6 fast medium blank so not the latest technology, but tried and tested. I like the action, similar to my Greys streamflex XF2. I countered the small amount of extra weight with the IM6 blank by using light fittings so ended up with a very light rod (earlier thread). However, on first first trip with it, the rod snapped on catching a 'tree trout'. It was a clean break just below the joint with the tip section and is almost certainly a manufacturing fault. I switched to my Greys rod and happily fished on, catching numerous tree trout. BFC were very good and sent a replacement part without any quibbles. However, the new part lasted only 5 minutes, again snapping in the same place in the same manner. Again BFC have sent a replacement, this time a whole new blank. The broken section fitted the old blank so I've made it up again. I'm still worried about the weakness so have whipped the section that keeps breaking and hope it will hold this time. I won't be using it again until September, when it cools off and the bankside vegetation gets less.
So there is clearly an issue with the manufacture and quality control. I have another Next blank, this time on a 10ft 2wt nymphing rod, which I've only managed to use once but without any problems.

lakesman

I'm still worried about the weakness so have whipped the section that keeps breaking and hope it will hold this time. I won't be using it again until September, when it cools off and the bankside vegetation gets less.
So there is clearly an issue with the manufacture and quality control.

lakesman
Any updated feedback? Assume failure occurred during forward cast, not realising that you had fouled a tree on the back cast!

Those blanks are said to be very smooth, and offer good value. Always found BFC reliable and excellent to deal with.

kingf000

I'm still worried about the weakness so have whipped the section that keeps breaking and hope it will hold this time. I won't be using it again until September, when it cools off and the bankside vegetation gets less.
So there is clearly an issue with the manufacture and quality control.

lakesman
Any updated feedback? Assume failure occurred during forward cast, not realising that you had fouled a tree on the back cast!

Those blanks are said to be very smooth, and offer good value. Always found BFC reliable and excellent to deal with.
I'm afraid I don't have an update. The small river I use the rod on becomes so overgrown that fishing on most of the river is impossible. So I'll have to wait until next spring!

Latest posts