Proposed changes to the Scottish female deer season

MobyJones

One for the forums deer stalkers. I've always chosen to not shoot roe does later on in their season but this proposed change for reds looks pretty grim to me. I'd love to see those responsible in the Scottish government challenged on live prime time TV if they accept the recommendations in the report they've commissioned.

sightbob

Hi MobyJones, Bloody barbaric if this happens, how long till deer numbers are in danger.
Surely they can cull enough in the season they have, if this is for Gentry to earn more money
on there estates it cant happen the anti blood sports will flip. I think Stalkers ,Gamekeepers and everyone to do will management and the public will have something to say. How sick are some people.
Not an anti, shot wildfowl for years.John

bobfly2

Not clear what stage these propsals are at. First stage as one of several options for consultation? Aimed at being able to increase the hind cull to the level that has generally not been achieved?

sightbob

The change in the law is to reduce deer numbers so the the tree planters/ huggers/rewilders can turn Scotland into one giant forrest. Hind stalking never has been money making.
Not really after a argument money will be there somewhere for planting. Fast growing timber has never been a big moneymaker after planting, tending, harvesting and transporting. Money making money that's all it is. its already started in North Ayrshire and the Roe are being targeted.

sightbob

Not clear what stage these propsals are at. First stage as one of several options for consultation? Aimed at being able to increase the hind cull to the level that has generally not been achieved?
That comes down to management if its not being achieved, that's why seasons are there, plenty guns out there that would help do it in the season as is. Will watch this proposal with interest.

bobfly2

"Plenty guns out there" ... really???
The level of gun ownership across the UK is actually very, very low. About as low as the number willing to stalk on a short winter day up a mountainside and then dragging back through the slush. You want to know why the hind cull falls short? Give it a try for a month next winter.

sewinbasher

Just watched a report on this in today's Fieldsports Britain episode on YouTube, apparently the policy is predicated on a red deer population of 1,000,000 a figure that deer managers believe might twice the actual figure. Not only is an extended hind season proposed but also no stag close season, permitted night shooting and the use of shotguns with horrendous implications for deer welfare. Watch from 13mins 20secs.

The Scottish Government is overtly anti field sports as evidenced by the almost total lack of financial support for shooting, stalking and fishing businesses during lockdown. This growing anti sentiment is not limited to Scotland and I really fear for the countryside.

sightbob

"Plenty guns out there" ... really???
The level of gun ownership across the UK is actually very, very low. About as low as the number willing to stalk on a short winter day up a mountainside and then dragging back through the slush. You want to know why the hind cull falls short? Give it a try for a month next winter.
Lets not pretend this would be a stalking cull chances are they would be driven. Im in no way saying there is no skill in the work done by people involved in stalking and thinning out the stags. The Hinds will run together. The Gene pool that people have worked years to get in there herds gone in days.Its not right. As I said yes plenty guns would jump at the chance to do it the right way, Im very aware of the amount of people holding the proper firepower for the job. John

Latest posts