Prospects on the Tweed

patsolver

I am fishing on a middle beat on the Tweed next week 14th, would be interested to here what are the likely prospects and what type of flies /set up people would recommend.

Also where would people recommend to stock up with flies etc. I will be based in Kelso area.

Thanks

woldedge

The Border Gun room at St. Boswells will have plenty of flies and equipment you may need. Also I found them to be far more helpful and friendly than Tweedside tackle. Prices also cheaper at the Border Gun room.

It is supposed to rain this week so hopefully it will freshen up the river. The fish are there in the pools just waiting to move on when there is some more water.
Here is a weather checker for you.
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=kelso

patsolver

Thanks for that, what type of flies would people recommend and preferred sizes for this time of year.

patsolver

I only asked for advice, thought that was idea of the forum............ not to be insulted Mr Moderator, if you arent able to help why bother posting.

Can someone explain what the purpose of the forum is to help or insult ?.

M

Mr Moderator

That was not a proposition, just trying to be helpful. Size matters, pattern doesn't.

Fool.

Pond Olive

When I was there last week, levels were getting desperately low and we saw few fish moving. I managed to hook two but lost one of them. The flies used were Stoat and Cascade, both size 12. If it does not rain substantially, soon, fishing will become very difficult due to slowing flows and fish will find it impossible to run up-river. Dissolved oxygen levels must be dropping as riffles cease to chuckle, thus exacerbating the fishes problems. It has to rain soon!

ttfn
Richard

sagefly

I fished the lower Tweed on Saturday, it is running about an 1" at Norham.

The bottom is full of silt and weed and the river desperately needs a good spate.

There are fish pools but reluctant to take, best tactics are to give the beat a good going over early doors and then go and play golf or something and come back for the evening. There are a few sea trout moving through but they are pretty thin on the ground compared to usual for this time.

The river is so loe that they were wading across the Juncion pool on Sunday.