Protecting club waters from poaching

davidms

On the subject of club matters again, what preferences do folk have for signage to deter 'poachers'?

I doubt very much that 'proper' fly fishers go fly fishing illegally on waters controlled by fly fishing clubs or syndicates (tho' do correct me if I'm wrong), and reckon that the poaching that is done on fly waters is carried out by scrotes and chancers equipped with spinning or worming gear. The aim is to quickly catch, kill and steal fish to sell/eat, rather than than enjoy a relaxing and lengthy fishing session. So how best to deter them?

I hate the bluntness of 'Strictly Private Fishing. Keep Out', but wonder if there is a form or words that might 'strike terror' into the hearts of would-be fish thieves. Could one be disingenuous and speak of 'hidden surveillance cameras'? Or mention that 'we always prosecute offenders'? Can one threaten 'on-the-spot fines' for offenders? Any observations?

sofasurfer

Signs are a waste of time, they might even draw attention to the fishery. Twice daily visits by the Keeper or club members volunteering as bailiffs will prevent poaching.

black knight

In nine years experience of running a fishery no sign was effective in deterring poachers. We even put signs up in Polish.

The best deterrent is an active team of bailiffs patrolling antisocial hours.

The police are unreliable and rare attended when poachers were apprehended if they did they were keen to let the poachers go with a warning.

You have no right to confiscate fishing tackle or levy fines.

Advice from the police to my members was not to approach poachers as they often carried knives and could be assaulted. They were asked to observe and report only.

jimt

Our trout lake was netted this week to clear some of the very large carp out.
Quite a few illegal multi hook and attachments were recovered in the nets.

easker1

we had a spell of central belt fishers coming up at weekends, so as club sec I went round with a book of permits and a big stick, just handy for walking over rough ground, we found they had dug a houff in a peat bank , but when they came back it was all filled in and they were told they could only fish if they held their rods ( No fixed engines) after 3 weekends they didn't bother to return , every one in the club paid them a polite visit now and again , they have never been back, no doubt they found other venues, :) easker1

G

guest54

Short of bringing back the public stocks and flogging I doubt there is little that can be done to prevent it, sadly. :(

taffy1

Regular vermin control, especially for exterminating mink with shotguns helps slightly.

(Not that I've seen many mink with shotguns!..)

Last edited:

warrenslaney

Private prosecution through the courts, backed with comprehensive victim impact statements. Go along and hear the case. Nod to the bench at the door... Follow up in the paper local to the defendant with a story, written with pictures.