Prototype emerger

danielp

NickS can have the blame for this one. We were having a chat about the merits of the dirty duster and the jingler so I decided to emrge the two. Not been tested yet but with a good pedigree I am fairly confident.

Any criticisms or comments on how it can be improved are welcome as always.

Dan

Scratch

Banned
Banned
Not sure about the merits of trying to marry two fundamentally different flies here, to be honest, Daniel. The way I see it is, you've got yer emerger patterns - often the result of much painstaking experimentation to get the materials, hook and design to work together harmoniously to do an exacting job - which hang comfortably, calmly and quietly in the film, doing what they do, which is, well, imitating the emergent stage, and only the emergent stage of any given group of flies. Then there's yer 'Jingler'. Now, I haven't tied or fished a Jingler as yet, but ( and please correct me if I'm wrong) the design of the fly tells me it's a very vague, very general, suggestor of mainly upwinged flies in various stages of the life cycle, and in varying states of disarray. One obvious m.o, to me at least, would be as a general dun pattern, fished high and dry, tumbling around a la Grizzle Mink. I'm assuming though, that a crafty and observant angler will fish the Jingler in a variety of methods - ginked, not ginked, 'wet' etc - to suit the observed activity.

Two different flies, two different jobs... why mix them? Perhaps I've missed something ( I usually do :eek:) and you can explain your reasoning behind tying it?

danielp

Not sure about the merits of trying to marry two fundamentally different flies here, to be honest, Daniel. The way I see it is, you've got yer emerger patterns - often the result of much painstaking experimentation to get the materials, hook and design to work together harmoniously to do an exacting job - which hang comfortably, calmly and quietly in the film, doing what they do, which is, well, imitating the emergent stage, and only the emergent stage of any given group of flies. Then there's yer 'Jingler'. Now, I haven't tied or fished a Jingler as yet, but ( and please correct me if I'm wrong) the design of the fly tells me it's a very vague, very general, suggestor of mainly upwinged flies in various stages of the life cycle, and in varying states of disarray. One obvious m.o, to me at least, would be as a general dun pattern, fished high and dry, tumbling around a la Grizzle Mink. I'm assuming though, that a crafty and observant angler will fish the Jingler in a variety of methods - ginked, not ginked, 'wet' etc - to suit the observed activity.

Two different flies, two different jobs... why mix them? Perhaps I've missed something ( I usually do :eek:) and you can explain your reasoning behind tying it?

Cheers for the input Rob, my thinking behind it was to try and make the front end of the dirty duster a bit more messy on the water and in the film with addition of the partridge to possibly imitate legs or some crippled wings which the jingler does fantastically. The partridge at the back end may well imitate a shuck but I have a sneaking suspicion it is probably redundant (not sold on the benefits of a shuck in a pattern).

I hope my thought process can shed some sort of light on why I mixed the two patterns. You are right though the jingler itself can be fished as an emerger by only ginking the top of the hackle or even trimming the hackle away from the bottom, I like the durved hooks though :D

ferral

I like it:thumbs:

Completely agree about the legs - I imagine it might make the fly look more crippled and hence an easier target.

Let us know how it works!

nick s

I recognise that hook! Very nice Dan. Plenty of movement = plenty of trout