Publisher wanted!

thyme

G`day!

My name is Axel Wessolowski and my first fly-fishing book was published by one of the leading German publishers (Franckh Kosmos Verlag). The German title of the book is “Biologie des Fliegenfischens” – The Biology of Fly-fishing (ISBN 978-3440124444).

The book has attracted a lot of attention since its publication and also received many very positive reviews. Additionally, the book is highly recommended by the leading German fly-fishing magazine FliegenFischen.

The way it is written, The Biology of Fly-Fishing is an incomparable book because, even though it offers deep biological insight, it also offers a lot of practical advice to the reader.

Contents:

Gustation / Sense of taste
Salmonids have a sense of taste and they are capable of experiencing different flavours, such as bitter or sweet. Varying flavours can alter the behaviour of the fish.

Olfaction / Sense of smell
Thanks to their distinctive sense of smell, salmonids can migrate over huge distances, discriminate between the genders of conspecifics and avoid predators. The question is: Are they able to smell a fly-fisher and, if yes, how do they react to the odour?

Audition / Sense of hearing
Salmonids do not have outer ears and their inner ear clearly differs from the human auditory system. Their ability to eavesdrop on a conversation between fly fishers also depends on the countries of the anglers!

Lateral line system
Salmonids keep their distance from conspecifics, track down prey and seek optimum spots within the river current with the aid of the lateral line system. This sense is both a blessing and a curse for fly-fishers – only those who know how to use it for their benefit may expect spectacular takes.

Visual sensitivity / Vision
Vision for salmonids is particularly significant, serving food intake, recognition of dangers and mating. However, their vision acuity had to be adapted to the natural environment, and this did not happen without necessary compromises.

Environment / Habitat
Identifying the position of a salmonid is one important talent of a fly-fisher. Rising fishes reveal their positions rarely and only at certain times. However, in order to catch the fish the fly-fisher does not see, knowledge about their swimming abilities and their preferences for certain environments is necessary.

Feeding / Food intake
Fly-fishing becomes a useless undertaking if the fly-fisher does not deal with the prey of salmonids. Detailed knowledge of species is not imperative, but when and how the fish prey is.

Body temperature and colour

Because salmonids do not have a constant body temperature independent from their environment, they are subject to the changes in temperature of their stretch of water. This dependence clearly has an impact on the behaviour of the animals, and successful fishing is accordingly also a question of degrees Celsius.

Learning ability
Are salmonids purely controlled by instincts or are they able to learn to recognize an artificial fly and to avoid it? Is this small brain actually made for abstract mental performance? Research into the learning abilities of fishes gives answers...

Fly-fishing and protection of the environment
The world offers fly-fishers, who, thanks to the latest means of transportation, speedily travel thousands of kilometres, countless opportunities to indulge their passion. Bummer, if a fly fisher picks up one of those stowaways such virus, bugs or parasites and these spread in waters, where they otherwise never could have gotten to on their own.

About me

Perhaps you would like to know who I am and, more importantly, how am I qualified to write about such a specialized subject?

I took up fishing as a schoolboy and have fished every since. I have always been interested in fly-fishing and, during the last ten years, have devoted my spare time to this sport.
Through good fortune, I got in contact with the chief editor of FliegenFischen, and after I went through practical training in his editorial office, I began my writing career. During the last seven years, my articles have been published on a regular basis in national and international magazines, e.g. Fisch & Fliege, Rute & Rolle, Angling International, Fly Life, and the award-winning magazine Fly Fishing & Fly Tying. I also worked as an editor for one of Europe’s biggest angling magazines – Blinker.

Having always been fond of nature’s wonders, I did my civil service at a biological station, where I also learned the basic concepts of nature photography. Subsequently, I studied biology, with the main emphasis on zoophysiology, and eventually received my PhD.
As a biologist, I had the privilege to work for well-known institutes in Germany, Australia, New Zealand, and Sweden. I have been voluntarily supporting a salmon and sea trout project in the eastern part of Germany for more than eight years. I also help with restocking projects concerning grayling.
Speaking of the “lady of the river”, I am totally fascinated by grayling, which are my favourite freshwater species. Understandably, I am a member of the British Grayling Society.

At this point, I would like to direct your attention back to my book. In case you are hooked, you can go to white thymallus enter site, where you will find excerpts of the book as a pdf-download. You can also drop me a line (contact@whitethymallus.net) and I will send you an already translated excerpt of a chapter.

Important note: English translation

The translation will be done by a native speaker from Great Britain. He is not only a qualified translator, he is also a keen and fine fly-fisherman and familiar with popular scientific text.

If you would like to publish my book or perhaps you know someone who would be interested to whom you could forward my enquiry, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Tight lines
Axel

Last edited:

wynne

Very interesting insight into your theories Axel - Good luck with finding a publisher - I look forward to reading your book when it's on the shelves in the UK :thumbs:

stonepark

Have a look online for contact details but of my books Swan Hill Press is probably the most common for fishing/shooting/nature but others are out there: -

A.&C. Black (Publishers) Ltd
»»Merlin Unwin Books
»»Neil Wilson Publishing Ltd
»»New Holland Publishers (UK) Ltd
»»Quiller Publishing Ltd.
»»Swan Hill Press
»»The Crowood Press Ltd
»»The Sportsman's Press

thyme

Dear stonepark

thank you very much for the list of publishers. I will have a look at their websites and see which I will contact.

Cheers
Axel

G

green man

What he ^ said. And try to find someone well known in the 'industry' to endorse the book or eBook. And/or see if a tackle dealer such as Farlows or Orvis UK will endorse it, or set up some kind of joint promotion with a publication like T&S.