Pure Fishing in Alnwick cutting jobs

geordie41

The shop up in Alnwick is not what it was, I used to enjoy spending a hour or so looking at all the different rods , reels, ,bits and pieces of tackle and clothing .
I never left empty handed, sometimes with a reel or rod or just couple of packets of leaders . One time I even bought a pair of EWS Waders ( a big mistake) even at half price in a sale . I was in the shop last summer with a mate who was keen on buying either a HBX or Zephrus after trying both he decided against buying either , he’d tried my Scott Radian earlier in the day and decided the Radian was much better than either of the Hardy rods.
In my opinion Hardy should have stuck to building rods and reels in Alnwick Instead of Korea and China . I have been informed by a very reliable source that the rods and reels that currently are supposed to be made in Alnwick are really just assembled there with the parts being made overseas .
I still own and fish a few vintage Hardy reels mainly St George’s . I can’t see myself buying another Hardy product unless they drastically change their policy and start really making rods and reels in Alnwick again.

There is definitely a market for high end hand made rods ,reels and tackle.
Callum Gladstone is making rods under his own name and that of the Tom Moran rod company , Edward Barder , Nick Taranski , Winston , Orvis, Per Brandiin ,Sweetgrass, Thomas and Thomas and the Tom Morgan rod company to name a few are all doing well building rods .
Ted Godfrey, Bo Mohlin ,John Mackenzie and Ilds Schucken are doing very well with there reels .
The likes of Brady and Chapman’s are making tradition fishing bags again doing well . Same with landing nets .
Hardy could restart to tie flies rather than selling ones made by another company. locally made leather and sheep’s wool fly wallets, wading staffs using local wood , fly boxes , the list could go on and on .

tangled

Pure Fishing was bought for $1.3bn, I'm afraid Hardy will not be hand making anything, the new owners will be badging-up Far Eastern products, charging a small fortune, marketing the @rse off them and bringing out a different coloured version every two years. In 5 years they'll be sold again.

flyfisher222

On the three posts above
The whole UK market range is much reduced. Until the late 80s a dealer near me, 'The Rod Box' (outskirts of Winchester) had a range from Shakespeare (now also part of Pure Fishing), their own name rods, through Bruce and Walker - sadly now almost dead, Greys- then separate from Hardy, Hardy, Sharpes, Sage, Loomis, Winston, Fenwick, Powell, Thomas and Thomas, and maybe a few others I can't remember. Plus the rare and near 'legendary' Marryat reels.

The last genuine both British and 'cut above the rest' Hardy rods were the 'Deluxe' range , Not outstanding as rods but their finish was terrific.

Now the shop (which has changed ownership after well over forty years and moved to a first floor rented space in a horse 'tack' dealers), range is about three makes, including what now amounts to the small 'rump' of Hardy that has survived, and which is mostly just a British name stuck on Asian made rods. No more than lipstick on a fairly good quality pig. And it's the same everywhere except, maybe, for Glasgow Angling Centre of which I have no experience.

As for Barder and Gladstone, (whose production is very low and 'occasional' if he can bothered at all), they look amazing. But do they go all 'limp' and also take a 'set' due to poorly seasoned and heat treated cane as many do? The only ones I personally know not to do this are the late Hardy cane ones.

Last edited:

Jason 70

As for Barder and Gladstone, (whose production is very low and 'occasional' if he can bothered at all), they look amazing. But do they go all 'limp' and also take a 'set' due to poorly seasoned and heat treated cane as many do? The only ones I personally know not to do this are the late Hardy cane ones.

I've had a Barder Barbus Maximus for some time now, had some very good fish on it, Barbel to just under 13lb and rouge river Carp to under 20. It's still in more or less mint condition, with no set. I guess I looked after it, cleaned it after use, let it dry and it hangs from a hook in the box room where I keep my tackle. I've seen on his website he is about to start offering glass fly rods also.

Edit made an error quoting FF222 Sorry.

JohnH

I've had a Barder Barbus Maximus for some time now, had some very good fish on it, Barbel to just under 13lb and rouge river Carp to under 20. It's still in more or less mint condition, with no set. I guess I looked after it, cleaned it after use, let it dry and it hangs from a hook in the box room where I keep my tackle. I've seen on his website he is about to start offering glass fly rods also.

Edit made an error quoting FF222 Sorry.
Barder is also selling some nice looking carbon rods, both fly and coarse....

Jason 70

Barder is also selling some nice looking carbon rods, both fly and coarse....

Yep, I've seen those, I would be interested in seeing the glass rods. I would need another relative to pass away though to afford it as when my nan died she left me the money for the "Maximus", it was that or I'd piss it all up the wall.

PaulD

How odd! I've got a Luke Bannister rod, built to the Garrison 203 formula and a Gavenny rod too . . . with no hint of a set. Even stranger, I make sure mine are dried after use and store them by hanging on hooks in my fly tying room. Luke also makes some rather excellent looking carbon fibre rods using CTS blanks.

No apology for quoting your post.

geordie41

[QUOTE="flyfisher222,

I have no idea why you have a grudge against 2 of the best builders of Bamboo rods in the UK
i Smell Bullsh#t I doubt very much you have any experience with bamboo rods , if you did you would know that Callum Gladstone was the last builder of bamboo rods for Hardy so the late rods you refer to were more than likely built by Callum or his partner at Hardy’s Tom Moran .
I myself have fished with Bamboo rods for years without experiencing rods going all limp or getting a set .

flyfisher222

I have no idea why you have a grudge against 2 of the best builders of Bamboo rods in the UK
i Smell Bullsh#t I doubt very much you have any experience with bamboo rods , if you did you would know that Callum Gladstone was the last builder of bamboo rods for Hardy so the late rods you refer to were more than likely built by Callum or his partner at Hardy’s Tom Moran .
I myself have fished with Bamboo rods for years without experiencing rods going all limp or getting a set .
I wasn't knocking Barder at all.

And I commented that Gladstone's rod output is now extremely low, even by small cane rod makers standards. Which is true.

I also commented that many cane rods go limp and also can take a set and that the (two) late, but pre the Moran/Gladstone working for Hardy era, Hardy cane fly rods I purchased new in the mid 1970s and still use sometimes have not.

As for Gladstone I know all that. But since Hardy stopped building cane rods and Gladstone set up his own operation his output has been extremely low. Not much more than the occasional 'collectors piece'.

And as for your totally unwarranted 'attack' you can stick it.

flyfisher222

That is what I expected, so don't pretend then.
Business is business. Economically large 'conglomerates' are all the same and Pure Fishing, (of which Hardy is a very small part) is the ultimate owner's only fishing interest and, again, fishing is only a small part of their overall business.

Big business is far more than working behind the counter of a fishing tackle shop for a few years.

Last edited:

lhomme

Business is business. Economically large 'conglomerates' are all the same and Pure Fishing, (of which Hardy is a very small part) is the ultimate owner's only fishing interest and, again, fishing is only a small part of their overall business.

Big business is far more than working behind the counter of a fishing tackle shop for a few years.
Tell me in what other business segments Pure Fishing is active. Offshore drilling, diamonds, multimedia or paint, perhaps? I've done a lot more than working in (leading) a fishing tackle shop, let's say I know my way around (CEO's). It's such a small world. You don't know what you're talking about, as expected. Pure Fishing is by no means an economically large conglomerate. 3M is.

flyfisher222

Tell me in what other business segments Pure Fishing is active. Offshore drilling, diamonds, multimedia or paint, perhaps? I've done a lot more than working in (leading) a fishing tackle shop, let's say I know my way around (CEO's). It's such a small world. You don't know what you're talking about, as expected. Pure Fishing is by no means an economically large conglomerate. 3M is.
First you say that Hardy has to own a 3M patent to buy a 3M product. Which is total c**p as we all know.
(I own a Mercedes. I didn't have to own any Mercedes patents to buy it and use it. It's the same for Pure Fishing buying and using a resin from 3M.)

And after my detailed explanation that the average ten year old could comprehend you STILL don't understand.
Pure fishing is a small part of a 'conglomerate'. The conglomerate OWNS Pure Fishing 100%. The conglomerate owns lots of other things too, in several different fields of business, which is what makes it a conglomerate.

3M isn't a conglomerate. Basically it's a chemical company that arose from mining.

You are either arguing for arguments sake (which I strongly suspect) or you are just plain dumb. Goodbye on this

Last edited:

lhomme

First you say that Hardy has to own a 3M patent to buy a 3M product. Which is total c**p as we all know.
(I own a Mercedes. I didn't have to own any Mercedes patents to buy it and use it. It's the same for Pure Fishing buying and using a resin from 3M.)

And after my detailed explanation that the average ten year old could comprehend you STILL don't understand.
Pure fishing is a small part of a 'conglomerate'. The conglomerate OWNS Pure Fishing 100%. The conglomerate owns lots of other things too, in several different fields of business, which is what makes it a conglomerate.

3M isn't a conglomerate. Basically it's a chemical company that arose from mining.

You are either arguing for arguments sake (which I strongly suspect) or you are just plain dumb. Goodbye on this
Confused? Good. Since you were confused from the moment you read my first post. Read it again and tell me where I mentioned the conglomerate owning Pure Fishing. AFAIK this is a fly fishing site and this thread is about decisions being taken in the tackle trade. It's not about the conglomerate owning Pure Fishing and the group has nothing to do with it. In fact, I doubt many on their board of directors know anything about fishing tackle. Pure Fishing though is regarded as a group, as explained, within a branch you don't even need to know anything about to understand "big business", as you said. After your adequate display of knowledge on nanotechnology in rod manufacturing and how conglomerates work, I knew enough. You can call me dumb, that's fine by me, but spare me your lecture on big business, as well, I had a taste of it (un)fortunately. Maybe they're interested in your thoughts on a Big Business forum. On the other hand, if you want to learn about the tackle trade and how exclusivity rights work in the sector the company that bought mine is for sale. It's a steal at 25 million. Goodbye to you, too.

streamerjunkie

Funny that you should mention Loomis. A few years ago they were considered the bees knees. I rarely if ever see them mentioned these days on the forum. Possibly the replacement costs that you mention have somthing to do with it. Ditto Thomas & Thomas.
...and their rods are still very much the bees knees, but the Europe aftersales has gone down the pan. I had a cast with the brand new Loomis NRX+ at a tradeshow in Colorado last year and it was sublime. It's such a shame when distribution agents for amazing brands end up stuffing their regional business by making aftersales ridiculously expensive or tedious.

Re. T&T - I can't say I've ever used one, but judging by the number of broken ones I've dealt with for people I think they should change their tagline from 'The Rod You'll Eventually Own' to 'The Rod You'll Eventually Snap' 🤭

PaulD

After sales does seem to be such an important issue for many, any many rods seem to be broken. In all the time I've fished I've only ever broken one rod. I'd rested a 6'9", 5 piece Winston LS against my wing mirror at the end of a session. As I reversed out of a gateway I noticed something flash past my driver's window . . . I had transformed my 5 piece into an 8 piece.

I phoned Winston in Twin Bridges, Montana and I was instructed to send the rod back by UPS . . . it cost me £50. 3 weeks later my retored 5 piece was returned. What more could you ask?

flyfisher222

After sales does seem to be such an important issue for many, any many rods seem to be broken. In all the time I've fished I've only ever broken one rod. I'd rested a 6'9", 5 piece Winston LS against my wing mirror at the end of a session. As I reversed out of a gateway I noticed something flash past my driver's window . . . I had transformed my 5 piece into an 8 piece.

I phoned Winston in Twin Bridges, Montana and I was instructed to send the rod back by UPS . . . it cost me £50. 3 weeks later my retored 5 piece was returned. What more could you ask?
That's good.

But if you buy anything all, from a packet of crisps to a car, from a UK dealer (Glasgow Angling Centre is a Winston dealer) under UK law your legal 'contract' is with the dealer you bought it from, not anyone else, manufacturers included.

Yours was not a warranty claim but when it is UK law overrides any manufacturer warranty and so there will be no charge. You may need to be somewhat 'forceful' in getting your rights as many dealers try to slime their way out.

Latest posts