Purple Queen.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
You'd think I had nothing better to do than tie rubbish like this.:D The Purple Queen from Hardy is a fly I've tied a few times now in all shapes and sizes but not on as large a hook as this and my materials just about made it, phew thank luck for that! Tied at size 6/0 on a Byron Bjerke William Bartleet hook. I think I now need to tie a few PTN's (Post traumatic Nymphs) to destress and get back to normality.. 😉

Purple Queen.

AYZQe5f.jpg

Tag - oval silver tinsel & yellow floss.
Tail - GP tail & Indian Crow (substitute used).
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - purple floss.
Ribs - oval silver tinsel & flat silver tinsel.
Hackle - purple cock hackle.
Throat - Guinea Fowl (Gallina) dyed blue.
Under wing - GP rump feather.
Wing - GP tail, Bustard, Goose dyed red/blue/yellow/green, Pintail, Barred Wood Duck, Bronze Mallard & GP topping over.
Cheeks - Indian Crow (substitute used).
Horns - blue Macaw.

P.S. For some reason my pics are coming out slightly blurred although they look sharp before posting.
Thanks for looking.

cheers

mark

Last edited:

arkle

Razor-sharp tying, as usual Mark. If you get a chance, over the w/e, give me a call about the camera/lens issue(s).

wingman

Razor-sharp tying, as usual Mark. If you get a chance, over the w/e, give me a call about the camera/lens issue(s).
Thanks John. I don't think it's the camera as the pics are pretty sharp before I post them but they do seem to take up quite a bit of file size, well over 1MB whether that's to cater for better resolution (I have a Nikon Coolpix 20.2 megapixels) or not I don't know. I notice the same seems to happen when I post on Facebook to, comes out slightly blurred like it's out of focus but doesn't seem to happen with every pic.

bobmiddlepoint

It (the photo) looks sharp enough my end.
One thing that helps with photo sharpness on forums etc is resizing and sharpening them before uploading. 800 pixels is wide enough for a forum photo (you can go bigger but only those who can be bothered to click the image for full size will see the extra detail) but you will find the image slightly soft after resizing so simply* sharpen it up again.

I say simply...I just use the software that comes with Canon cameras because I'm too stupid to use Photoshop or download anything else.

Great tying!

Andy

wingman

It (the photo) looks sharp enough my end.
One thing that helps with photo sharpness on forums etc is resizing and sharpening them before uploading. 800 pixels is wide enough for a forum photo (you can go bigger but only those who can be bothered to click the image for full size will see the extra detail) but you will find the image slightly soft after resizing so simply* sharpen it up again.

I say simply...I just use the software that comes with Canon cameras because I'm too stupid to use Photoshop or download anything else.

Great tying!

Andy
Ah right that's interesting thanks for that Andy. I usually upload the pics in imgur and resize to 800 pixels in imgur but they're not sharpened after that maybe that's where I'm going wrong? Perhaps I should resize to 800 pixels and resharpen prior to uploading to imgur and see what difference that makes. I don't resize to 800 pixels for Facebook though but notice it looks blurred but when you click on the magnification icon on FB it brings it back to the sharp image again.

arkle

I was wondering, if it might be a lighting issue as the change in quality, if that's the right word, is not the same at this time of year.

wingman

I was wondering, if it might be a lighting issue as the change in quality, if that's the right word, is not the same at this time of year.

I just use the light from my maglamp John anyway either taking pics in evening after sunset or through the day and didn't seem to make much difference. Seems like Facebook have changed the viewing format on pics recently to as you now click on the magnification icon. Pics I've uploaded to there over last two week have looked blurred when they look super sharp before uploading but when you click on the magnification icon a couple of times it brings them into the correct sharpness again. Unless they've used that magnification thing for a while now and I just haven't noticed but I certainly notice when the pic looks fuzzy. I don't think people realise how devastating it can be when you spend say six hours working on a fly take a reasonably good sharp in focus pic, maybe taking around twenty shots, then uploading it and see it come out blurred and your heart just sinks. I'm not a perfectionist by any means but I always say try to match the quality of the tying with the pic. We're at macro level here and it makes a difference to see the little details in good sharp focus. Right I'm off to cry into my coffee for half an hour or so.😔

Latest posts