PVC solvent weld

kingf000

This may seem like an odd title for a fishing forum but does anyone know whether solvent welds for PVC piping is just solvent, or does it contain PVC or CPVC? The reason I ask this is that I've been thinking about thin lines for ESN. The ones you can buy seem to me to be ridiculously expensive for what they are, considering that they seem to be just made of a core of thin braid with a level PVC coating. However, I've read that simple braided line makes a good alternative but the braid quickly wears away the fly rod rings. So why not take the 0.45mm or so braid and infuse it with a PVC or CPVC solution to give the braid a less abrasive surface? The best solvent for PVC seems to be THF, which I don't have, but could I use a diluted solvent weld? I should be able to thin it with a little acetone that I already have so that it penetrates the braided line better. According to the internet searches, PCV piping solvent weld should contain CPVC, the chlorinated PVC, which is more flexible, but does it? Or would something like Tru Blue pipe sealant, that contains slippery PTFE, be even better? I don't intend to fully coat the braid like a fly line, just infuse it.

jaybeegee

A manufacturer should,on request, supply you with hazard data information which will list in detail the component materials.
B

kingf000

A manufacturer should,on request, supply you with hazard data information which will list in detail the component materials.
B
I'll try that, though I would have thought they would have listed it in the safety data sheet. Just wondered if there were any DIYers or plumbers who might know.

speytime

Look on the maxcatch website you'll find a range of different diameter running lines for around £5.
Or cut the running line of a wf line.

Al

kingf000

I
Look on the maxcatch website you'll find a range of different diameter running lines for around £5.
Or cut the running line of a wf line.

Many thanks, I'd forgotten about that alternative. You can get the Maxcatch 100ft running line, 0.66mm at £6.80 or a 1wt WF floating line for £5.39, but I don't know what the diameter of the running section would be. I wonder which one would be better? Returning to my original question, I've just come back from my daughters and noticed they had some solvent weld which does contain PVC in MEK, so I'll try diluting that with a bit of acetone and give it a go on some braid I have!

kingf000

I've borrowed some of my daughter's solvent weld, diluted it about 50:50 with acetone and treated some 0.5mm braid backing (£3 from ebay). I did this by making a small pool in a jam jar lid,, then pulled the braid through the liquid, holding it down with the a small artists paintbrush that was also wetted with the diluted solvent weld. I did about 2 metres at a time, leaving about 1 hr between, to total of ~6 metres, then just left the braid. As expected, it makes the braid quite a lot stiffer but still flexible. So it is different from the commercially available lines that seem to be made the same as a normal fly line, ie thin braided core with thicker PVC coating. This one is mainly braid with only a small amount of PVC within the braid structure. If the rain and wind ever stops, I'll give it a go to see how good it is.

easker1

years back Sheila Hassam( Remember Her ?) had a tackle business , did it become Airflo? any way she sold a line repair kit that included pvc solution and a very good solvent, you can still get the solution as it is used for repairing any pvc item , the last time I bought it was at a camping caravan place, still good for repairing cracks and Nicks in a line, easker1