Qing Ya Xi

robjcm14

I'm seeing this ....
'Absolutely brand new for 2017 is Qing Ya Xi Lodge on the River Itchen. Formerly known as Kingfisher Lodge, the new name roughly translated from its Mandarin origin, means tranquil waters...'
Does anyone have any views about a wonderful part of England, being renamed to Mandarin. I'm personally disgusted.
Opinions welcome from all, but please, those who sit on this website, those first to express their opines and 'knowledge' about everything kindly desist on this occasion. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

fishing hobo

I'm seeing this ....
'Absolutely brand new for 2017 is Qing Ya Xi Lodge on the River Itchen. Formerly known as Kingfisher Lodge, the new name roughly translated from its Mandarin origin, means tranquil waters...'
Does anyone have any views about a wonderful part of England, being renamed to Mandarin. I'm personally disgusted.
Opinions welcome from all, but please, those who sit on this website, those first to express their opines and 'knowledge' about everything (you know who you are - especially the boasting grayling man), kindly desist on this occasion. :)
Yes, the Chinese are coming to take over Itchen :D. I agree it is not politically correct.... nor a particularly smart move (like what they are doing in the SE Asian waters) :rolleyes:

robjcm14

They have all the money (how it's been acquired is another story) and we all know it's being spent on buying up just about everything in the UK, USA and even Africa. I don't have a problem with the outcomes of market forces in this new world of a global economy we're currently living in, where the Communists have beaten the Capatalists at their own game. However, I do take issue with these new owners renaming a (probably ancient) fishery with a totally alien/Chinese new title. It's on the edge of taking the p++s. It's the thin end of the wedge and it could only be a matter of time before all the famous beats on the Itchen and Test become some kind of Mandarin derivative. I'm unhappy about this and think the onus is the owners of these beats to ensure contractually that the beat sold isn't renamed in this way.

fishing hobo

Well,I don't think the Chinese will give a damn..... you saw that when the International Tribunal said what China was doing was not legal, they just ignored it.

robjcm14

'Capitalists' corrects the previous spelling error.
Just thinking about a parallel situation, where the Arabs currently dominate Flat Racing in the UK. I've never seen an attempt to change the names of racecourses like Newmarket, Ascot and York. Can you imagine the outcry if they attempted this?
So, going back to my original post, why should we not be outraged by a section of an historic and famous English chalkstream being renamed to a Mandarin derivative?
My rant it complete. I feel strongly about this and now leave it open for discussion.
I will be interested in the conclusion, possible outcomes (if any) ....

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Opinions welcome from all, but please, those who sit on this website, those first to express their opines and 'knowledge' about everything (you know who you are - especially the boasting grayling man), kindly desist on this occasion.
Wowser!!
Please give me your opinion, forum members.:rolleyes:
On second thoughts, please dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Obvious sarcasm aside, what football team do you follow Rob???;);):whistle:

regards
Bert

T

troutbum67

At least they wont after change the name of the river Lee / Lea , named after Bruce of coarse :D

Last edited:

campsiefisher

Yes, what next ? importing Opium to our dear shores for trade ? i mean no country would ever commit such an atrocity right ?

We as a nation certainly wouldn't think of taking anything belonging to them, like Hong Kong for example. :eek:mg:

Best regards
Jim

taterdu

Do you not think that 'Kingfisher Lodge' is a bit twee? A bit Beatrix Potter? Not sure I'd want to fish there if, every five minutes, I was tripping over Ratty, Mole and Toad on the bank.

So, someone Chinese has bought it, big deal, they can call it what they want. I could understand the angst if it was their plan to turn the fishery into a theme park.

airebugwafter

Could be worse ! Could of called it Wun Hun Lo, or Sum Ting Wong, or perhaps (may favourite) Noh Wei Ding !! :D

Guest109

Personally I think it's a cheek! I can't imagine where they got such an idea :whistle: It's kinda like if we went to other parts of the world and started calling places things like 'New England', 'New South Wales', 'New York' or imagine if we even started naming places after our public figures with such things as 'Victoria' or 'Darwin'. The gall of these people! :whistle:
On reflection we should probably feel relieved - I heard a rumour they were thinking of calling the lodge 'shitzon lieu', which I believe translates as 'unblock the dam'. :p

mrnotherone

I find it a little strange that someone posts an opinion but wants to limit the members who can contribute. I think it was this OP who derided regular contributors before, including ones with beards! A very strange attitude.

Anyway, as to the question. I don't give a monkeys what the beat is called - far more important things to be "outraged" about.

luke troutstalker

You can never second guess the reaction of the forum ...

Q: Can I use two turns of hackle on a Stewart's spider as opposed to the recommended one ?

A: NO!!! HALFORD, SKUES, AND SAWYER WILL BE SPINNING IN THIER GRAVES!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Q: The Chinese are going to rename the Temple fishing hut on the historic Dove to the 'Itchyfanny 900 GPXR Staduim' ; what do you think ?

A: Meh.

haggstock

May God forbid they ever change the hallowed names of New Sewage Works Bottom Limit , and Aniline Dye Outlet on our hallowed urban rivers :whistle:

taterdu

People do have an innate tendency to obsess about perceived negatives whilst ignoring potential positives.

What better, on a warm June day, than to settle down to a lunch of crispy fried beef, a portion of special fried rice and an ice cold Tiger beer. So much better than a limp cucumber sandwich, sweaty pork pie and stale tea from a thermos.