Qing Ya Xi

JohnH

Just because the fishery has a new name in Mandarin Chinese, what evidence does anyone have that it has a new Chinese owner ?

Guest109

People do have an innate tendency to obsess about perceived negatives whilst ignoring potential positives.

What better, on a warm June day, than to settle down to a lunch of crispy fried beef, a portion of special fried rice and an ice cold Tiger beer. So much better than a limp cucumber sandwich, sweaty pork pie and stale tea from a thermos.
Not to mention an attentive beautician dextrously untangling your flies and applying Hansen's hard as nails to your weathered heads :thumbs:

Guest109

Just because the fishery has a new name in Mandarin Chinese, what evidence does anyone have that it has a new Chinese owner ?
The local Taiwanese restaurant immediately put up a huge fence with surveillance cameras and Rottweilers. Admittedly, not definitive, but... just saying...

splinters

THANK YOU JOHN!!!

Exactly what am I supposed to be upset about? That some imagined son of Ming the Merciless has bought a stretch of water I will never afford to fish or that someone renamed the lodge in Mandarin. Strikes me 'tranquil waters' is a nice name. Were we upset when a corner of Connemara got renamed Delphi? That seems to have gone ok. Should I be annoyed that my mate named his boat in Gaelic when he's Polish? Is it time to rename all the cul-de-sacs, streets closed at one end?
Or should I just continue to not give a flying one?
Please advise.

Simon.

JohnH

The local Taiwanese restaurant immediately put up a huge fence with surveillance cameras and Rottweilers. Admittedly, not definitive, but... just saying...
I have booked a day on the beat in July. I'll let you know how it goes.

G

guest54

People do have an innate tendency to obsess about perceived negatives whilst ignoring potential positives.

What better, on a warm June day, than to settle down to a lunch of crispy fried beef, a portion of special fried rice and an ice cold Tiger beer. So much better than a limp cucumber sandwich, sweaty pork pie and stale tea from a thermos.
How dare you criticize such traditional English fare, not for anything would I swap my squashed, stale ,sweaty, smelly, cheese and piccalilli sarni for some foreign muck. :rolleyes::D:D:D

pusser

A fishing lodge?!?

I'm still seething that they renamed a Marathon bar to Snickers and Opal Fruits to Starburst (at least I can afford the confectionery)

First world problems ... :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

sewinbasher

Nobody seemed bothered when the American company Orvis acquired beats on the Test, a lot of Scottish sporting estates are owned by Arabs, why all the fuss over it being a Chinese owner?

Last edited:

JayP

Nobody seemed bothered when the American company Orvis acquired beats on the Test, why all the fuss over it being a Chinese owner?
Maybe because Orvis is a fishing company and not a Chinese investment group buying up property in the UK. Kingfisher lodge, Ivy bridge cottage and the 22 acres were sold for 3.5 million GBP and trust me the new owners will not want British rif raf wandering about its banks for much longer when they have their clients to entertain :whistle::whistle:

Guest109

I have booked a day on the beat in July. I'll let you know how it goes.

No XIT?! A day on there isn’t QIP! Leally hope it’s worth the big Renminbi! Have a rovery day! :thumbs::)

fishing hobo

Maybe because Orvis is a fishing company and not a Chinese investment group buying up property in the UK. Kingfisher lodge, Ivy bridge cottage and the 22 acres were sold for 3.5 million GBP and trust me the new owners will not want British rif raf wandering about its banks for much longer when they have their clients to entertain :whistle::whistle:
Let's hope that is an unfounded suspicion.

sewinbasher

I understand that, I'm not sure that Sh.Hamdan al Maktoum would want any "riff-raff" wandering around his estates either but what's the solution? I don't see that anything can (or should) be done to prevent people we may not like buying property in the UK and then having the nerve to want to keep it private. I imagine that any UK resident with the necessary £3.5m was able to buy it had they wished to and it doesn't seem too much for the property and 22 acres of Hampshire. The UK is an attractive property market for many foreign investors including Chinese, Americans, Russians, Arabs and Japanese and there will always be bits of the UK we'd rather them not have but it would be unreasonable to expect them not to want to keep it private if it suits them that way.

It's true that many of these buyers are investment companies but, that being the case, don't they have to show a return on the investment? That is usually achieved by generating income from the asset and/or by selling it for a higher price at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Nobody seemed bothered when the American company Orvis acquired beats on the Test, a lot of Scottish sporting estates are owned by Arabs, why all the fuss over it being a Chinese owner?
Half of Scotland is owned by the Dutch. Most of the rest of it is owned by the Queen and her family, who are Germans, or the Church of Scotland (and you don't hear us atheists moaning about it). :p

Col

Guest109

a historic, surely? :confused:

Col
Not that such things preoccupy me too much personally - the justification for 'an historic' would have been the silent 'h' in RP accents (used as a norm of correctness for standardization) in certain phonetic contexts, thereby the 'n' is inserted to avoid a long vocalic sequence across a word boundary. In spoken accents this will depend on whether you drop the 'h' or not. In writing, prescriptively minded people (i.e. you must do this or that) will tell you it is 'an historic' even though they don't know why, and don't drop the 'h' in their own speech. In descriptive reality both are used. Use whichever you feel comfortable with unless perhaps you are writing a letter to the Queen.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

... the justification for 'an historic' would have been the silent 'h' in RP accents.
I put it to you that, when spoken, the h in historic should not be silent in any accent - not least my Scottish one. Freedom! :p

When written, it's a helicopter, a horse, a hotel, a historic, etc... :)

Col