Quad cane fly rod

alfie pointon

Does any one have any experience of using a quad cane fly rod and what is the action like are they worth considering instead of a hexagonal rod,any comments please cheers.

Uncas

Quad rods are very popular in the USA, they tend to be stronger more robust and quicker action.
How technically better you would have to ask a rod builder.
Ask Splinters on here or Gary Marshall.

alfie pointon

Quad rods are very popular in the USA, they tend to be stronger more robust and quicker action.
thanks for that info I’ve seen one for sale and I just liked the look of it.

william henry

Quadrates make a distinct noise when cast because their cross section is not as aerodynamic as a hex or a penta.
One should also be mindful that irrespective of section geometry a cane / bamboo rod can be made as fast or as slow as the maker wants by simply varying the rods taper irrespective of the geometry of the rods cross section
I.e.a quadrate may not necessarily have a fast /quick action as the action for a given geometry is all a function of the rods taper .

stevel

I never owned a Quad, but I was very interested in getting one many years ago. They are supposed to be very accurate due to the 4 sided construction. I've read discussions on the different types of quads, the rectangle quads generating most discussion and interest. Is this quad square or rectangular?
Pentas are known for their peculiar "woofing" sound, I didn't know quads did the same. I had a 3 weight which gave this sound and it didn't affect casting or fishing ability, though I do have a penta spey which doesn't exhibit this feature that I know of.
Who's the maker?

stevel

I asked Gary many years ago if he did quads, but he said that he only did hexes. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

alfie pointon

I never owned a Quad, but I was very interested in getting one many years ago. They are supposed to be very accurate due to the 4 sided construction. I've read discussions on the different types of quads, the rectangle quads generating most discussion and interest. Is this quad square or rectangular?
Pentas are known for their peculiar "woofing" sound, I didn't know quads did the same. I had a 3 weight which gave this sound and it didn't affect casting or fishing ability, though I do have a penta spey which doesn't exhibit this feature that I know of.
Who's the maker?
It does not say whether it’s square or rectangular the maker is D.G.Schroeder

splinters

I fished an Edwards quad on the Bann a couple of years ago and liked it a lot. A lovely crisp rod. If the owner would have parted with it I would have cheerfully sold the kids to get it from him. A new Schroeder will cost you north of two grand, so relatively high end. Very well respected by other makers. It should be a medium fast rod for bamboo. As stated above the action of a rod is a function of it's taper, not it's cross section. However, and this is a generalization, quads tend to be strong and relatively fast. The downside of making quads is that culms of the quality necessary for construction are hard to find. Ferrules with square section tubes are not generally available and are usually broached from round tube, a time consuming extra process. It's much easier to make a hex than a quad so a good one is a treasure.
My personal opinion is that rectangular quads are a nonsense but each to his own.

Simon.

alfie pointon

I fished an Edwards quad on the Bann a couple of years ago and liked it a lot. A lovely crisp rod. If the owner would have parted with it I would have cheerfully sold the kids to get it from him. A new Schroeder will cost you north of two grand, so relatively high end. Very well respected by other makers. It should be a medium fast rod for bamboo. As stated above the action of a rod is a function of it's taper, not it's cross section. However, and this is a generalization, quads tend to be strong and relatively fast. The downside of making quads is that culms of the quality necessary for construction are hard to find. Ferrules with square section tubes are not generally available and are usually broached from round tube, a time consuming extra process. It's much easier to make a hex than a quad so a good one is a treasure.
My personal opinion is that rectangular quads are a nonsense but each to his own.

Simon.
Thanks for that Simon what you are saying gives me reassurance cheers.

william henry

Simon.
I hope those who worship at the church of Montagne aren’t reading this 😉

stevel

It does not say whether it’s square or rectangular the maker is D.G.Schroeder
I used to buy classic reels (Godfrey) from a German classic dealer many years back before he closed shop, and he decided to be a distributor of Schroeder rods because of their extremely high quality finishes as well as being excellent fishing implements.
Good luck on the acquisition

alfie pointon

I used to buy classic reels (Godfrey) from a German classic dealer many years back before he closed shop, and he decided to be a distributor of Schroeder rods because of their extremely high quality finishes as well as being excellent fishing implements.
Good luck on the acquisition
I contacted Don Schroeder asking about his opinion on quad rods compared to hex rods he said that he did not think there were any advantages or disadvantages between the two and that he built about 50% Quad rods and his next 3 rods to make were all quad.
As splinters as said he is a well respected rod maker.

pati

Hi

Quads are harder to make, allegedly more powerful (though fast or slow both are possible as said earlier it s a matter of taper not cross section) and accurate. They also tend to be lighter.

I’ ll try to post a picture of my Tirocchi quad next week

A Schroeder will be a delightful toy, quad penta or hexa, you won’t regret it, and if you do, call me and I ll probably offer you a good deal to take it off you!

Pat

alfie pointon

Hi

Quads are harder to make, allegedly more powerful (though fast or slow both are possible as said earlier it s a matter of taper not cross section) and accurate. They also tend to be lighter.

I’ ll try to post a picture of my Tirocchi quad next week

A Schroeder will be a delightful toy, quad penta or hexa, you won’t regret it, and if you do, call me and I ll probably offer you a good deal to take it off you!

Pat
Thanks for the feed back Pat along with the other Replies it’s all positive,I would also like to thank every one else who replied cheers.

pati

Hi

Here a picture of my quad... a very special rod...

It has two handles and 2 tips allowing for 4 configurations: 7’10 4wt, 7’10 5wt, 8’9 4wt and 8’9 5wt. The rod is a travel rod in 5 sections. The action is soft/traditional somewhere between a Scott G (original from 30 years ago, not the new ones) and a Loop Yellow. Being a quad it is quite powerful with good reserve in the butt. It is a very surprising rod to cast as despite the quite slow action it loves long casts!

I believe quad is particularly good for fast/powerful rods, here we chose a quad design to help compensate for the weaknesses induced by the relatively high number of ferrules.Ferrules areshortened but not squared and the reel seat has been engraved by Lorenzo Gamba (check out his engravings on hunting weapons on google if you’re into these things, he s a true master of the art!).

If interested let me know and I ll post more pictures !

Attachments

vital

Wow! Some crazy stuff ... I daren't even ask about whether there are any hollow quads, but assume they could be pent- or hex- models only?

Latest posts