Queen of Spring

baca157

First salmon fly for a while so not entirely happy with it but here it goes. This is the Kelson version tied on a 3/0 (hope you approve of the hook choice Mark;)). This was my second attempt at this fly - first one got chewed by a moth larva:mad:. They always go for flies with Jay first, greedy fuckers.

This time with two toppings as it should be;)

49A6732C-6C3E-41A6-B1B3-04DDCEA75B07.jpeg

Dressing:
Tag: Small silver tinsel and canary silk
Tail: Topping and Summer Duck
Butt: Black herl
Body: Silver tinsel and black silk equally divided
Ribs: Gold lace and silver tinsel
Hackle: Black from silver tinsel
Throat: Jay
Wings: Tippet, Amherst Pheasant and Golden Pheasant tail, grey Mallard, Swan dyed canary, red and light blue (subbed with Goose), Mallard and two Toppings
Horns: Blue Macaw
Sides: Jungle
Cheeks: Chatterer (subbed with Kingfisher)
Thanks for looking
Cheers,
Sebastian

Last edited:

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Top job and really nice shape Sebastian and no easy fly to tie I can tell thee. I really like this even though it's been sitting around in the vice. I take it that's a Cosimo Raia hook then and it obviously brought out the best in your tying. Not being happy usually means that you've spotted things that might have gone better and it happens to me even now but that's how we improve by ironing out the little niggles. QOS is a nice pattern there's also a Queen of Autumn although not as nice a patterns as this one but very similar. Solid work all round.

baca157

Thanks Mark. It is Cosimo’s hook and I managed to damage it in the vice! First time this has happened to me. I must have overtightened the jaws and they bit clean through the hick plastic sheet I used to protect it.

Pretty much every bit could have been better. Saying that, I just had a look at the photo of my first Queen of Spring from a year ago and this one is much better so I made progress:) As you say it’s not an easy pattern to tie but it has the looks.

Got a few more hooks from Cosimo so will use one for my next fly (Torrish as promised). I really like the Blue finish on his hooks.

I also have few more coming from John Saxton. I think I must have been second last order as he just finished them today. Sad to see him pack it up but completely understand his decision.

Cheers,
Sebastian

arkle

Seb. I can't remember which vice you're using, but are you "masking" the hook with some acrylic sheeting, as used on many products we purchase these days ?

Also it may help. prevent attacks from "moff's" etc by storing them in sealed or semi sealed boxes, with a few cloves in them, easily obtained in most supermarkets.

Great fly after a "break"

wingman

Thanks Mark. It is Cosimo’s hook and I managed to damage it in the vice! First time this has happened to me. I must have overtightened the jaws and they bit clean through the hick plastic sheet I used to protect it.

Pretty much every bit could have been better. Saying that, I just had a look at the photo of my first Queen of Spring from a year ago and this one is much better so I made progress:) As you say it’s not an easy pattern to tie but it has the looks.

Got a few more hooks from Cosimo so will use one for my next fly (Torrish as promised). I really like the Blue finish on his hooks.

I also have few more coming from John Saxton. I think I must have been second last order as he just finished them today. Sad to see him pack it up but completely understand his decision.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Oh aye I can see it now I thought it was the light catching but easily done and why I don't really tie on 30 quid hooks. I think the blued type of hooks are how they originally produced them back in the day and gives the flies a nice authentic look and I think Matt Bagshaw uses them quite a lot although he modifies his own hooks. Pity John packed in but I know he wanted to get into his rod building and trout flies again but I have a feeling it won't be for good.

baca157

Ee, ba gum lad, belter..... (y)
Thanks taffy1
Stunning Sebastian 👍🏻
Thanks Lamson
Seb. I can't remember which vice you're using, but are you "masking" the hook with some acrylic sheeting, as used on many products we purchase these days ?

Also it may help. prevent attacks from "moff's" etc by storing them in sealed or semi sealed boxes, with a few cloves in them, easily obtained in most supermarkets.

Great fly after a "break"
Thanks John. I switched from Renzetti Traveller to Stonfo Transformer last Christmas and the jaws are a lot more powerful on Stonfo. I am always masking the hook with acrylic sheeting. It seems that, this time, the jaws have bitten right through the sheeting... first time this has happened to me. Must have overtightened the jaws.

I store all my salmon flies in the transparent baseball card holders lined with soem very thin white wadding material. These are not air tight but are sealed. I have no idea how that moth got in there. I also had my wet fly box attacked. It’s one of those big thin plastic boxes with foam slats for flies And they are also shut fairly tightly, obviously not tight enough.

All my materials are very well protected in zip lock air tight freezer bags, with cloves in drawers and now also sheets of moth killer paper form Rentokill. Seems that this is not enough to deter them. The issue is that Glasgow is infested with moths, my building is not that bad which means at least one or two every day in the summer. They seem to be coming from the outside and we live on the second floor. I have seen them on the outside of my windows on number of occasions. Some areas of Glasgow like Partick have it really bad. The office at my former employer had it really bad and by that I mean hundreds of the buggers every day on walls.

Think I will start putting the baseball card holders in small sip lock bags as well, just to be sure. Too much money and effort goes into these flies to get them eaten by bugs...

Oh aye I can see it now I thought it was the light catching but easily done and why I don't really tie on 30 quid hooks. I think the blued type of hooks are how they originally produced them back in the day and gives the flies a nice authentic look and I think Matt Bagshaw uses them quite a lot although he modifies his own hooks. Pity John packed in but I know he wanted to get into his rod building and trout flies again but I have a feeling it won't be for good.
Even at €15 per hook it’s quite painful when you realise you damaged the hook! I shudder to think what It would feel like when it happens to a 30 quid hook. That blued finish just looks the part.

Pitty about John but hopefully someone will fill his shoes. I had a feeling that he will pack it up when I spoke to him at the BFFI this year. He jokingly asked me if I would be interested to take over hook making from him. Seems wasn‘t a joke after all. Got a fair few hooks from him so they should last me a while.

Cheers,
Sebastian

arkle

I'm not 100% certain about the blue'd finish Cosimo uses, but it could well be the material that's used on gun barrels. It maybe worth calling into a local gunsmiths to find out if it's possible to do a touch-up job or you might be able to get it online if the local is out of stock ?

He might be able to offer you a sawn-off shotgun for the moths as well.

baca157

I'm not 100% certain about the blue'd finish Cosimo uses, but it could well be the material that's used on gun barrels. It maybe worth calling into a local gunsmiths to find out if it's possible to do a touch-up job or you might be able to get it online if the local is out of stock ?

He might be able to offer you a sawn-off shotgun for the moths as well.
I think I will leave it the way it is John. As a reminder to be extremely careful with these beautiful hooks. And because I will probably make a mess of it anyway. Attempting to do that would be like my friend’s attempt to fix a scratch on his Porche with a spray can😂. It just wouldn‘t end well...

Sawn-off shotgun sounds tempting though🤨

Cheers,
Sebastian

lipslicker

Even at €15 per hook it’s quite painful when you realise you damaged the hook! I shudder to think what It would feel like when it happens to a 30 quid hook. That blued finish just looks the part.

WTF!
😳

baca157

Yep. Those handmade hooks are not cheap lipslicker. Tying classics is a very expensive affair. That hook is on a cheaper end of the scale. I hear that some hook makers charge as much as £60 per hook. Antique hooks are not cheap either, and appear for sale very rarely.

wingman

Yep. Those handmade hooks are not cheap lipslicker. Tying classics is a very expensive affair. That hook is on a cheaper end of the scale. I hear that some hook makers charge as much as £60 per hook. Antique hooks are not cheap either, and appear for sale very rarely.

You should sign up for Yasuhiro Ogasawara's Green Highlander project on Facebook Sebastian, you'll get two hooks at whatever size you want. You tie a Green Highlander on one and send it back to him and you get to keep the other hook. His hooks are worth around £50 each from what I've heard and I think the project is still going as far as I know.

lipslicker

You should sign up for Yasuhiro Ogasawara's Green Highlander project on Facebook Sebastian, you'll get two hooks at whatever size you want. You tie a Green Highlander on one and send it back to him and you get to keep the other hook. His hooks are worth around £50 each from what I've heard and I think the project is still going as far as I know.

Fascinating price.
Are they made totally by hand then? Hammered and shaped from bellowed coke, like a sword smith might do?

In real term prices, by the time you have taken into account the raw materials (hook and rare feathers) as well as your time, which should really be priced as a very highly skilled worker, your tied flies should be worth £100's. Certainly a couple, possibly a few, or more.

They are works of art, that's for sure.

wingman

Fascinating price.
Are they made totally by hand then? Hammered and shaped from bellowed coke, like a sword smith might do?

In real term prices, by the time you have taken into account the raw materials (hook and rare feathers) as well as your time, which should really be priced as a very highly skilled worker, your tied flies should be worth £100's. Certainly a couple, possibly a few, or more.

They are works of art, that's for sure.

Thanks lipslicker. Yes all made completely by hand, the guy is a very skilled craftsman. Wouldn't like to guess how many he turns out every week but they are works of art in themselves. The one I have I won't tie on as it's a thing to be admired in it's own right and it has gold leaf on it. Well I hate putting a price on my flies which I think I've mentioned before but hooks like Yasuhiro makes would certainly add a lot onto any fly. Some pics below of some of his recent work from his Facebook page just to give you an idea of the quality and the finish he achieves.

baca157

How do I do that Mark? I would love to but not sure he’ll take me. It would be pretty scary to tie on a hook like that.

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

How do I do that Mark? I would love to but not sure he’ll take me. It would be pretty scary to tie on a hook like that.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Of course he will he's a top bloke.;) Just send him a message via Facebook that you're interested in being part of the Green Highlander project and he'll ask for your address and details etc. It is scary a bit but just do your best and from what I've seen of your tying you have nothing to worry about. :)

arkle

If he's anything like Cosimo, a typical hook usually takes 3 to 4 hours, before finishing.

tj hooker

I meant to reply earlier but I forgot my password and got blocked for a while first off that's a really solid fly sebastian and good to see it from you a really nice topping on there on the down side you've got me worrying about moths now I just hope it's to cold for them round my neck of the woods I can only imagine your dismay when you seen them I kind of done what you done on over tighting my vice and cutting through what wasn't a thick enough pice of plastic to protect the hook in my case anyway in the long run I need a new vice an upgrade on my little fly mate as Mark was saying about master Yasuhiro he does a hook called lava flow just a thing of beauty I don't know how good a fly dresser you would have to be to add any thing to it by tying on it I would just keep it as a hook to look at,