Question re appointing tree surgeon

rfcellis

We've got quotes from two tree surgeons to deal with a couple of potential health and safety issues and do some other tree work (some at height) but our committee is getting a bit worried about what level of due diligence we should do about the contractors.

What level of due diligence do we need to undertake to protect the club and its members? Do we simply get them to sign something saying they have the necessary insurance and training? or request copies of different insurance certificates? or review the insurance policies?

The quotes are coming in around the £3k mark and we don't believe the trees pose a risk to the public if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Richard

diawl bach

I have public liability insurance and expect to produce evidence of it when requested. A risk assessment wouldn't go amiss either if you want to demonstrate due diligence, it helps with thinking the job procedure through.

delray

Richard, I'm going to send you a p.m. I was an odd job man for a big local company for a few years and my wife worked in the offices, so between us we have a little knowledge.

Edit; oops, when I say a big local company, i mean tree company...

Last edited:
We've got quotes from two tree surgeons to deal with a couple of potential health and safety issues and do some other tree work (some at height) but our committee is getting a bit worried about what level of due diligence we should do about the contractors.

What level of due diligence do we need to undertake to protect the club and its members? Do we simply get them to sign something saying they have the necessary insurance and training? or request copies of different insurance certificates? or review the insurance policies?

The quotes are coming in around the £3k mark and we don't believe the trees pose a risk to the public if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Richard
Have a look at this web site.
It answers quite a few, if not all of your points.

Regards
Bert

rfcellis

Thank you all. I’ve passed your comments on to the decision making committee which thankfully I’ve escaped from.