Quick furled leader question

speytime

No they sink like a stone if you put one in water, i think the greased furlie keeps it up?
My 1st one had a tippet ring to start with but I cut it off and tied a perfection loop in it, the replacement has a shorb loop instead of tippet ring but not because of it sinking, I just prefer a loop.

Al

smallmouth

My ancient Rod Dibble, (just about done now), has a tiny tippet ring, I just fill it with the residue of Red Mucillin that I treat the furlie with and it floats.

I've just bought half a dozen beautiful olive furled leaders from Mr Trout and I went for the shorb loop this time.

Mrtrout

I use a loop myself, but never had a problem with tippet rings sinking.
A 2mm ring is very tiny and floats ok with a wipe of Mucilin.
Many prefer them as it’s easier to snip your old tippet off when it needs changing.
S.

GEK79

Furled leaders often seem to have a (metal?) ring at the tippet attachment end but are also popular for dry fly work.

How does this work? Is the ring neutral density?
I use MrTs with success, with a tippet ring it's the way my dad taught me and I find it easier for increasing and decreasing leader length.. Good wipe with Mucillin, off she goes..
Gary

shropshire_lad

Thanks chaps, I'll just give a bit of background to my question which actually crosses over with another thread on loop-to-loop connections here.

Many years ago I used to nail knot a big butt leader directly to the fly line but for whatever reason I struggle to get a decent neat connection these days. So, I now have Moser Minion loops fitted and currently loop-to-loop big butt co-polymer leaders to them. However, the loop on the big butt co-polymer leader has a big knot which can jam on the line guides when using a long leader.

I was talking to Mike at Barrio about a new line and happened to check out the furled leaders on his web site. They look to have neat knotless loops so I thought I'd give one a go. However, I was intrigued as to how the tippet ring behaved given their popularity for dry fly work. Mine would be mostly used for wet fly/nymph work so not so much of a problem if it sinks.

I think I had an inkling Mr T made or supplied furled leaders. I imagine I'll be in touch (y)

GEK79

Thanks chaps, I'll just give a bit of background to my question which actually crosses over with another thread on loop-to-loop connections here.

Many years ago I used to nail knot a big butt leader directly to the fly line but for whatever reason I struggle to get a decent neat connection these days. So, I now have Moser Minion loops fitted and currently loop-to-loop big butt co-polymer leaders to them. However, the loop on the big butt co-polymer leader has a big knot which can jam on the line guides when using a long leader.

I was talking to Mike at Barrio about a new line and happened to check out the furled leaders on his web site. They look to have neat knotless loops so I thought I'd give one a go. However, I was intrigued as to how the tippet ring behaved given their popularity for dry fly work. Mine would be mostly used for wet fly/nymph work so not so much of a problem if it sinks.

I think I had an inkling Mr T made or supplied furled leaders. I imagine I'll be in touch (y)
With loops and tippet rings.. And they work.. Good luck and stay safe
Gary

Dingbat

My problem with tippet rings is that sometimes my knots (leader->ring ring->tippet) get intertwined

speytime

I know what you mean shropshire_lad the perfection knot can be lumpy, that's part of the reason I started my own lower diameter.
I've thought about trying a braided loop on one?
Atm If I'm using a heavy butted leader I'll turn the reel upside once the knot is inside the guides if it's a good fish.

Penny pinching with guides has left them so thin even a loop sleeve can catch them, you didn't get this lumpy nonsense with lined guides?

morayfisher

Trust Member
I use a loop myself, but never had a problem with tippet rings sinking.
A 2mm ring is very tiny and floats ok with a wipe of Mucilin.
Many prefer them as it’s easier to snip your old tippet off when it needs changing.
S.
That’s exactly why I prefer tippet rings. No danger of damaging the furlie when snipping of tippet.

shropshire_lad

OK, got my first furled leader. Did not realise just how small the tippet ring is.

Another question - does anyone use the tippet ring to directly attach a dropper to? I have a 9' furled leader so a dropper attached from the tippet ring and then a further dropper 3 or 4' down and point fly a further 3 or 4' down sounds good.

Mrtrout

OK, got my first furled leader. Did not realise just how small the tippet ring is.

Another question - does anyone use the tippet ring to directly attach a dropper to? I have a 9' furled leader so a dropper attached from the tippet ring and then a further dropper 3 or 4' down and point fly a further 3 or 4' down sounds good.
Thats a very long furlie, for river fishing in general a 5ft is more than enough IMO?
If you’ve bought a Hi Vis furlie for nymphing with to spot takes you would normally grease it up, so adding a nymph to the dropper ring will just pull it under.
S.

speytime

That’s exactly why I prefer tippet rings. No danger of damaging the furlie when snipping of tippet.
That was also my logic for ordering furlies with tippet rings, in practice i cut further from the furlie with a shorb loop, i tie a perfection loop to join them when it's done with I snip behind the knot and pop the remainder of the loop out, so even without my glasses I can steer clear of the loop itself.

Al

Mrtrout

That was also my logic for ordering furlies with tippet rings, in practice i cut further from the furlie with a shorb loop, i tie a perfection loop to join them when it's done with I snip behind the knot and pop the remainder of the loop out, so even without my glasses I can steer clear of the loop itself.

Al
My. Eyesight is far from good these days but I’ve never cut the loop on a furlie yet, just snip well away from the loop the tippet will then just pull out.
S.

shropshire_lad

Thats a very long furlie, for river fishing in general a 5ft is more than enough IMO?
If you’ve bought a Hi Vis furlie for nymphing with to spot takes you would normally grease it up, so adding a nymph to the dropper ring will just pull it under.
S.
It's intended for still water use to make up something like an 18' leader in total, so 9' of tippet attached in total, maybe a dropper or two.

That said, I'm new to this so maybe a shorter one would be better with longer tippet?

Thing I like is a less bulky loop on the furled leader than my standard tapered mono leader which makes for a smoother loop-to-loop connection.

Mrtrout

It's intended for still water use to make up something like an 18' leader in total, so 9' of tippet attached in total, maybe a dropper or two.

That said, I'm new to this so maybe a shorter one would be better with longer tippet?

Thing I like is a less bulky loop on the furled leader than my standard tapered mono leader which makes for a smoother loop-to-loop connection.
I can understand that SL, most furlies I make for Stillwater are 5/6ft but in mono rather than thread, the extra bit of stiffness in mono aids turnover better at distance.
Good luck with your new furlie, I hope you enjoy it and it catches you plenty.
S.

webblade

Al
I just snip one leg of the perfection loop and pull the tippet right off the shorb loop.